The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Raptors get #1 pick

Ha....the only thing I know about basketball is that Steve Nash is good, plays for the Suns and is from Canada. He's the only reason I know what the Phoenix team is called....How long until the Raptors are history? Canada just isn't a basketball nation...funny 'cause we invented it. (Didn't we?)

Canada just isn't a basketball nation...funny 'cause we invented it.   (Didn't we?)

A Canadian (James Naismith) invented the sport, but he invented it in the U.S.

I don't know why all Canadians are expected to care about the Raptors. I mean, Calgary is geographically closer to Salt Lake City, Portland and Seattle (and possibly to Minneapolis, Chicago or Milwaukee -- I'm not going to research that right now) than it is to Toronto. I grew up in Calgary, and I'm a Dallas Mavericks fan. I don't think its a matter of Canadians not caring about basketball, it's a matter of Canadians not specifically caring about the Raptors.

Basketball failed in Vancouver, because, for its size, Vancouver is not enough of a sports town. Lesser leagues have failed because they are lesser leagues. They fail all the time in the States, except for in markets like the southeastern U.S. There are plenty of basketball fans and players in Canada. The fact that the Raptors haven't become Canada's national team has more to do with the fact that they're based in Toronto than that Canadians don't care about the sport.

I don't know why all Canadians are expected to care about the Raptors.

I think it's the media like TSN and Sportsnet shoving the Raptors and Blue Jays down the throats of western Canadian viewers who are suckers for nationalism. Toronto is in Canada so everyone in Canada is asked to cheer for them... just like the Oilers are the only Canadian team remaining in the playoffs. CBC doesn't want to lose Canadian viewers so they sucker them into cheering for the Oilers.

Anyways, i don't mind watching basketball but they always show the Raptors and there's no one exciting to watch ever since Carter and Tmac left. Plus they've had losing teams ever since ever since. If the Raptors can actually draft someone exciting to watch and put together a contending team, i might actually tune into a game.

Basketball failed in Vancouver, because, for its size, Vancouver is not enough of a sports town.

That's part of the reason. The other part of the reason is the Grizzleys put together some of NBA's worst teams in history. Nobody would go watch that garbage. Drafting guys like Big Country Reeves was a big country mistake. You've also got guys like Steve Francis refusing to play in Vancouver after getting drafted. The product on the court just didn't cut it and the fans didn't come.

There were actually talks of an NBA team moving to Vancouver (might've been Portland or Seattle but can't remember exactly). Anyways, if an established team moves to Vancouver, i think you'll see fans show up to the games. There's about 2.2 million people in Metro Vancouver so if any new NBA franchise can put together a half decent team in Vancouver, i'm sure they could fill the seats at the games.

I guess I shouldn't have said I don't know why Canadians are expected to care about the Raptors (and Blue Jays), because I do know the reason. It just bugs me.

And yeah, you're right about an established NBA team probably being able to attract fans in Van. The Grizzlies did a lot of things wrong. But I stand by the fact that Vancouver is not the sports town it could be. (Not that Calgary is much better.)

Vancouver could do well as long as they can show they can manage a team somewhat.

It would be good for them as well if Sonics don't play that well as well for a while so then once in a while perhaps get a few people from Seattle to come up to Vancouver and perhaps watch a game.

If Vancouver could get a team and get a good core fan base develop, then they can think about Montreal next perhaps. I don't really know about that though, don't know how they treat b-ball over there.

I think the Raptors are interested in taking that Italian guy because they've sent out some scouts out there. Plus he's the most polished of the 4 prospects. Hopefully they get a guy who pans out for them

Hopefully they use this pick wisely and grab an actual point guard. A number one pick along with CB4 could do wonders for this team.

I want to see the raptors get Adam Morrison. I tingle just thinking about it. Gonzaga is my favorite college basketball team and I watch them every year in the NCAA March Madness. He led the scoring and pretty much carried Gonzaga. I think that he would be the best choice. The Raptors are my #2 Team but it would be amazing seeing Morrison in TO.