The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rosalie52

Calgary Vipers

baseball = boring.

I can't force myself to sit through an entire MLB game, so why would I pay to watch a minor league team?

as for the lack of support, it could be tied to the fact that I have heard nothing about them until a week ago when I drove by and saw a sign on crowchild for a game that night.

spend some money on advertising and maybe people will show up.

baseball = boring.

I can't force myself to sit through an entire MLB game, so why would I pay to watch a minor league team?

I couldn't agree more

There is something very calming and serene about going to a minor league baseball game on a beautiful summer day. It reminds me a little of golfing a great course on a perfect day.

I'm not a big baseball fan but I love the atmosphere of a baseball stadium.

I think when they stop making 5-10 errors a night more people will show up. I went to opening night and besides our starting pitcher's performance, the game was a joke. It looked like the first game of training camp. I'll go back when they've learned how to field the ball. I enjoy watching baseball and I do miss the Cannons. I know that Vipers isn't the same level as the Cannons, but I do expect some level of talent from players who have been to the AAA's before.

If you buy the mini pack, you can get lower section tickets for 10 bucks which is a great deal...or you can buy the upper section ones and move down later. It is a good deal I think and I really like the new idea they have of the hill by the Vipers' bullpen where you can sit to watch the game but they have to start showing me some talent.

Are the Vipers a farm team of an MLB team?

I still remember the Calgary Cannons (never been to a game though). Alex Rodriguez played for them in Calgary and so did a few others Mariner prospects.

Are the Vipers a farm team of an MLB team?

No, they're in some independent league.

I still remember the Calgary Cannons (never been to a game though).  Alex Rodriguez played for them in Calgary and so did a few others Mariner prospects.

A-Rod and many of the other recent Mariners stars all came through Calgary. He never did make it to stardom but Danny Tartabull was a monster in Calgary. He played for a long time in the majors but never really left a mark. Edgar Martinez & Tino Martinez both had stints in Calgary. Also, many of the older Expos players in the 80's went through Calgary when the Cannons were the farm team for Montreal.

Too bad they never won a thing.

In case anyone is wondering..Vipers ball...by my estimation is somewhere between AA and AAA ball. There are a lot of players who made it to AAA and then were cut by the MLB teams and some who never made it past college. There are also some players who are coming over from other countries to try and get scouted for the MLB teams. (For example, the Vipers have a couple from Japan.) Essentially, most of these players are good at one thing and bad at the other. Some can hit like hell and can't field to save their lives and some (like our short stop) are amazing at fielding but stick a bat in their hands and they're in trouble (shortstop batted something like .185-.215.

It's not bad ball later in the year when they figure themselves out but I liked Dawgs' ball better becuase it was a league full of players who were still playing and possibly had some chance to make the majors whereas this team is full of ones who couldn't make it.

I'll be supporting this team win or lose. I'll be at every home game,I dont care how bad they could be..I just love hearing the crack of the bat whenever it hits the ball. Yep,ill be getting season tickets every year for as long as there here.

It was such an exciting game last night. It was tied 7-7 in the Bottom of the 9th inning,the Vipers came up to bat

'With Drew Miller on first base and two outs in the bottom of the ninth, Adam Shorsher struck out on an outside pitch but the ball got passed Joliet catcher Greg Stevens allowing Shorsher to reach first base and Miller to move up to second.

Two wild-throws later by the JackHammers defense, one trying to catch Shorsher at first and the other trying to gun down Miller at third, and Calgary was able to bring in the winning run.'

I've never seen a game end like that before! but it was real exciting,the crowd went absolutely nuts. Was anyone at the game last night? I'll be back at the game today, 1:35pm it starts.

So it appears that Carlos Duncan has finally made it back. He played absolutely amazing last year. When he didn't show up for the first game this year I thought he might have gotten a pro contract back in the Majors...but I guess he was trying to get here but got caught up in a bunch of red tape while trying to obtain a Visa to play in Canada. Anyways, I'm glad he's back. I really think he'll help the Vipers. He's got amazing speed too.

Well, at my brother's wedding this weekend, I came to find out that my cousin is the Assistant GM of the Vipers, so it looks like I'll have to go out and support them! I'm actually excited about that. He said the goal was to have a good, fun atmosphere at the stadium that all families can enjoy. Should be fun!

He said the goal was to have a good, fun atmosphere at the stadium that all families can enjoy.  Should be fun!

As opposed to the R-rated baseball the Cannons used to play. :D

He said the goal was to have a good, fun atmosphere at the stadium that all families can enjoy.  Should be fun!

As opposed to the R-rated baseball the Cannons used to play. :D

Well, if you knew my cousin, it might shock you too. :lol:

Arg, these people keep trying to change calgary into a baseball city. It wont happen, they may as well give up.

knowing calgary,it will happen. Vipers will win a couple championships,then everyone will want to go to games. Happened to the Cannons when they made it to the championships..before they did that,no one went to their games. They got to the championships alittle too late though as they were already planning to move. Calgary is the most bandwagon city ive ever seen. I will continue to support the Vipers win or lose.

Arg, these people keep trying to change calgary into a baseball city. It wont happen, they may as well give up.

No one is trying to turn Calgary into a baseball city. The Vipers are barely a professional league. If you don't like baseball, then dont go. For your information, Calgary was quite the baseball city in the early-late 90's. The Cannons had sellout or near sellout crowds every night, believe it or not. Then the stadium needed repairs and no one would pay for it so people stopped coming. I don't think anyone is trying to make baseball the number one sport. However, it is reasonably priced decent baseball and hopefully some more people will come out for it.

I work at the Vipers game...but i would be hard pressed to go to one....

In order for baseball to work, the team needs a new stadium

Foothills was built in 60's and it shows it. All of the ammenities are run down, the bleachers are dirty, the seats in the lower bowl are uncomfortable and the stadium itself is kind of isolated from everything else.

The team needs a new stadium badly...maybe a mixed use structure...

The location although is right on Crowchild, by McMahon and close to the C-Train is not the prime place for a stadium. Easy access is a plus but not when there are no other attractions beside it.

The Vipers were put together in the last minute. I remember in their first season, the didn't even come up with team's name until two weeks left to the start of the season.

The Vipers are such a generic name and has no association to the city whatsoever.

If anything...they should consider brining back the Cannons moniker...at least more locals will relate to it.

Finally, the baseball is subpar but there is no way Calgary will get another MLB farm team...unless some Class A Short Season team decides to move.

For the time being, we're stuck with the Northern League and the Calgary Vipers.

First of I am not a big baseball fan at all, but anytime you can get a battle of alberta going I get a little intrigued. Was anyone at the Calgary-Edmonton game that turned into a huge brawl. I believe it was aroound the beginning of june. I wasn't there but I heard about it on the fan960. Coaches, and players were suspended for a number of games and fines were handed out on both sides. The edmonton coach /manager? ended up resigning after this because after his players got suspended he decided to still use them in the next game so he was suspended and fined some more. And he decided to quit. I had to laugh to myself a little when I heard about this. And I think I will go out and watch some baseball this summer. Perhaps the vipers vs. the edmonton cracker cats.

The Vipers are such a generic name and has no association to the city whatsoever.quote

For what it is worth, I like the vipers logo, and the term snake pit for the stadium. I agree we could use a new stadium. But when no one is going to the games ...... there is really no way to afford a new one.

I noticed on the cracker cats website they were generating revenue by giving a deal to fans who bought eskimo and cracker cat tickets for the same day. It was advertised as A SUPERDEAL TO SEE CALGARY LOSE TWO TIMES IN ONE DAY!

I dont get why you guys are whining about having the name 'Vipers' not having anything to do with Calgary. What does the Flames name have to do with Calgary? I can understand the Stampeders name for the stampede. Its just a name,you can deal with it. I think the Vipers is actually a pretty cool name. Alot better then the Edmonton Cracker Cats...now what kind of name is that?

First of I am not a big baseball fan at all, but anytime you can get a battle of alberta going I get a little intrigued.  Was anyone at the Calgary-Edmonton game that turned into a huge brawl

yes. I was there since I have season tickets. This is my second year now having season tickets. You definately should go. Youll have a good time.

haha. ive gone by there a fwe tiems an all ive seen there are like a maximum of 30-40 ppl watching the games... the game starts a bit to early for most ppl.. baseballs just not a sport to be played in calgary, i dont even know why we even have a baseball team.

haha. ive gone by there a fwe tiems an all ive seen there are like a maximum of 30-40 ppl watching the games... the game starts a bit to early for most ppl.. baseballs just not a sport to be played in calgary, i dont even know why we even have  a baseball team.

Well obviously you don't go to many games. All the games I have attended I have seen at least 1000 people if not more. As for why we have a baseball team? Because there is a market for it. Maybe a small one but there is a market. Believe it or not, the Cannons used to sell out that place.

Calgary Vipers? Is that the new team?

Logo's ghey.....

ok dude..lets see you make another logo for them.