The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FIFA WORLD CUP THREAD: GERMANY 2006

Question about TV sched, about the blue Sportsnet logo with no west east etc, does that mean HD or network wide?

I'm Calling a Netherlands Vs Brazil in the Final.  

Orangemen win.

Netherlands won't even make semis.

I can't wait for the World Cup though, soccer is my favourite sport and watching soccer of this class is amazing.

Orangemen win.

Netherlands won't even make semis.

I can't wait for the World Cup though, soccer is my favourite sport and watching soccer of this class is amazing.

Meh, that's what my friend said to me in high school when I picked Brazil over Germany (that's who they said wouldn't do anything).

This isn't going to happen, the dutch are good but they are rebuilding and this is not their world cup.

"Im going to be cheering of the great nation of England, this is their year, I can feel it in my bones!

Same here but we never seem to go the whole mile :roll:

Will the USA get any support I wonder???

Iran vs Saudi Arabia in the Final. Now that would be hilarious....

No that would probably be a war............

:?

Iran vs USA would be a more of a war....

Iran vs Saudi Arabia in the Final. Now that would be hilarious....

No that would probably be a war............

:?

Iran vs USA would be a more of a war....

AHAHAHAHAHA that would be unbelieveable :lol::lol::lol::lol:

I'm feeling some Croatian upsets in Germany, with the large Hrvatska faithful in driving distance from the venues...We should be able to get out of the first round, but stranger things have happened....

Because there are only 3 teams allowed from North America. Which means that 14 countries compete for 1 spot because the US and Mexico are just better than the rest.

Canada also doesn't have a heritage of soccer. It's a lot bigger here now than it used to be, but hockey is still this country's number-one focus. When pretty much every kid in Latin America, Europe or Africa grows up playing soccer, it's really hard to compete with that. Prior to the 1990s, the U.S. wasn't much of a soccer nation either. They made a concerted effort to develop a soccer program that could compete on an international level. Canada is making inroads as well, but isn't close to being able to compete with the soccer powers.

For those who don't know, Canada's one and only World Cup appearance was in 1986, and didn't amount to much.

As for those places that you haven't heard of, Vezina, that's not Canada's fault or soccer's fault. Open an atlas sometime. :wink:

Because there are only 3 teams allowed from North America.

I was under the impression that there was only 3 countrys in North America. I might have read that wrong..

Because there are only 3 teams allowed from North America.

I was under the impression that there was only 3 countrys in North America. I might have read that wrong..

CONCACAF (Link), which includes North America, Central America, the Caribbean and some South American nations (Guyana, French Guiana, and Surinam), qualifies three members. There is also a spot for the winner of a CONCACAF/AFC (Asia) playoff winner.

Another link.

As for North America (outside the context of soccer), some define it as including only Canada and the U.S, some as Canada, the U.S. and Mexico, and some as Canada, the U.S., Mexico, and Central American and the Caribbean. It's open to interpretation.

CONCACAF members can potentially have four countries headed to the world cup as an additional spot is available through a AFC (asia) - CONCACAF playoff game.

Here's a list of CONCACAF countries: Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Aruba, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, British Virgin Islands, Canada, Cayman Islands, Costa Rica, Cuba, Dominica, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, French Guyana, Grenada, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Martinique, Mexico, Montserrat, Netherlands Antilles, Nicaragua, Panama, Puerto Rico, Saint-Martin, Sint Maarten, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent and The Grenadines, Surinam, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands, Turks and Caicos Islands, US Virgin Islands, USA

There are also rumors that Venezuela is going to join CONCACAF. In no way is the path to the World Cup easy.

Can't wait now! its getting near the time!!!!

Heres a few walls that i've made for the wc:

germanyballack3gw.th.jpg terryenglandbackground7io.th.jpg figo8fg.th.jpg

Although teams like Trinibad&Tobago shouldn't be in footballs World Cup

Why? They earned it. :?

Although teams like Trinibad&Tobago shouldn't be in footballs World Cup

Why? They earned it. :?

There are many better teams in Europea. The European Qualifying Groups are tougher than others.

Trinibad&Tobagos Friendly matches:

*=not World Cup team

11-May-06 TRI:PER* 1:1 (0:1)

27-May-06 TRI:WAL* 1:2 (1:1)

31-May-06 *SVN:TRI 3:1 (2:1)

03-Jun-06 CZE:TRI 3:0 (3:0)