The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FIFA WORLD CUP THREAD: GERMANY 2006

Although teams like Trinibad&Tobago shouldn't be in footballs World Cup

Why? They earned it. :?

There are many better teams in Europea. The European Qualifying Groups are tougher than others.

Trinibad&Tobagos Friendly matches:

*=not World Cup team

11-May-06 TRI:PER* 1:1 (0:1)

27-May-06 TRI:WAL* 1:2 (1:1)

31-May-06 *SVN:TRI 3:1 (2:1)

03-Jun-06 CZE:TRI 3:0 (3:0)

Well that is true that some groups are tougher than others, many other teams have also advance because of having easy groups ie USA

Well that is true that some groups are tougher than others, many other teams have also advance because of having easy groups ie USA

Yes, that's true. And it's really weird that USA is 5th in Fifa World Ranking and Mexico 4th!

Yes, that's true. And it's really weird that USA is 5th in Fifa World Ranking and Mexico 4th!

:lol: See what I mean? :wink: :lol:

The ranking is so messed up.

I bought the video game for this. Installing it right now,did anyone else buy the game?

Yeah I got it. Making the cup runs are pretty fun, but can take a while depending on what region you are qualifying in.

Although teams like Trinibad&Tobago shouldn't be in footballs World Cup

Why? They earned it. :?

There are many better teams in Europea. The European Qualifying Groups are tougher than others.

Trinibad&Tobagos Friendly matches:

*=not World Cup team

11-May-06 TRI:PER* 1:1 (0:1)

27-May-06 TRI:WAL* 1:2 (1:1)

31-May-06 *SVN:TRI 3:1 (2:1)

03-Jun-06 CZE:TRI 3:0 (3:0)

Spots allotted in the World Cup/Teams attempting to qualify

Africa (CAF): 5/51

Asia (AFC): 4.5/39

Oceania (OFC): 0.5/12

Europe (UEFA): 13+Host/52

N. America (CONCACAF): 3.5/34

S.America (CONMEBOL): 4.5/10

The best soccer is played in S. America and Europe, and the spots are weighted toward those conederations. You could probably put together a field of the best 32 teams in the world using almost solely teams from S. America and Europe, but it wouldn't be much of a World Cup then, would it?

The best soccer is played in S. America and Europe, and the spots are weighted toward those conederations. You could probably put together a field of the best 32 teams in the world using almost solely teams from S. America and Europe, but it wouldn't be much of a World Cup then, would it?

But it would be better football. I think, few more teams from Europe, and few less from other continents.

But it would be better football. I think, few more teams from Europe, and few less from other continents.

I'm pretty sure there's already a tournament like that: the European championships.

If any region deserves more representation, it is Africa.

I'm pretty sure there's already a tournament like that: the European championships.

I think you are missing my point...

there are rumors that FIFA plans to change the ranking system. I mean how can you say that a friendly between Germany and England is the same in points as U.S.A. vs. Canada. A complete joke and the only people that follow and believe in the standings is the U.S. In Europe everyone considers them a joke.

there are rumors that FIFA plans to change the ranking system. I mean how can you say that a friendly between Germany and England is the same in points as U.S.A. vs. Canada. A complete joke and the only people that follow and believe in the standings is the U.S. In Europe everyone considers them a joke.

They did change the ranking system last month.

An explanation of why Canada's no good at international soccer:

So many reasons.

Owen Hargreaves is a traitor!! but i dont blame him

You know what though, if Major League Soccer can continue to grow in the States then Canadians might be able to develop their skills in that league. I see lots of kids playing organized soccer in Canada but there's just no league for kids to aim for when they grow up. Maybe MLS can be this league that encourages Canadian kids to develop into good soccer players. Maybe Canada can qualify for the World Cup in 12 to 16 years.

An explanation of why Canada's no good at international soccer:

So many reasons.

Owen Hargreaves is a traitor!! but i dont blame him

You know what though, if Major League Soccer can continue to grow in the States then Canadians might be able to develop their skills in that league. I see lots of kids playing organized soccer in Canada but there's just no league for kids to aim for when they grow up. Maybe MLS can be this league that encourages Canadian kids to develop into good soccer players. Maybe Canada can qualify for the World Cup in 12 to 16 years.

12 to 16 years....ouch! But it's the reality.

As long as the States and Mexico continue their monopoly of the top two CONCACAF qualifying spots (no reason to think that'll stop, with their money and talented national programs), Canada just simply cannot squirm into the qualification spots.

Meh, I can't say that I really care. Go Croatia.

They did change the ranking system last month.

thanks for letting me know. Last I heard they were talking about it but have not kept up on it because it was such a useless ranking system.

Day 1 Results:

Germany 4 - Costa Rica 2

Ecuador 2 - Poland 0

Knew that the Germans would pull it out, but Costa Rica played better than I thought they would, especially Wanchope who was great for Costa Rica. I totally thought that Poland was gonna take Ecuador, but they were really unlucky today. Overall, great opening day.

Day 1 Results:

Germany 4 - Costa Rica 2

Ecuador 2 - Poland 0

Knew that the Germans would pull it out, but Costa Rica played better than I thought they would, especially Wanchope who was great for Costa Rica.  I totally thought that Poland was gonna take Ecuador, but they were really unlucky today.  Overall, great opening day.

playing good for 10 mins (with a couple close ones) isn't unlucky. Maybe it should have been 2-1, but they did not deserve a point for that game. Good for Ecuador.

Day 1 Results:

Germany 4 - Costa Rica 2

Ecuador 2 - Poland 0

Knew that the Germans would pull it out, but Costa Rica played better than I thought they would, especially Wanchope who was great for Costa Rica.  I totally thought that Poland was gonna take Ecuador, but they were really unlucky today.  Overall, great opening day.

playing good for 10 mins (with a couple close ones) isn't unlucky. Maybe it should have been 2-1, but they did not deserve a point for that game. Good for Ecuador.

Don't get me wrong buddy. I totally agree that Ecuador outplayed Poland and they deserved the win, but you have to agree that hitting two post and a crossbar is unlucky.

Don't get me wrong buddy.  I totally agree that Ecuador outplayed Poland and they deserved the win, but you have to agree that hitting two post and a crossbar is unlucky.

yeah, but if they had scored on the first one, i doubt they would have even had the second chance.

Don't get me wrong buddy.  I totally agree that Ecuador outplayed Poland and they deserved the win, but you have to agree that hitting two post and a crossbar is unlucky.

yeah, but if they had scored on the first one, i doubt they would have even had the second chance.

That's true. Can't wait for day 2! :mrgreen:

Can someone give me a run down on this??? how do you get the next round? how many games do you play?? I've never watched before but i've been watching today and I'm really confused.

okay, the 32 teams are broken down into 8 groups

The teams in the groups play each other in the same group once each

The two teams with the best record move on

Then they play elimination games until there's a winner

okay, the 32 teams are broken down into 8 groups

The teams in the groups play each other in the same group once each

The two teams with the best record move on

Then they play elimination games until there's a winner

THANKS!

- I know that was really simple but.............................. yeah. :lol: