The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FIFA WORLD CUP THREAD: GERMANY 2006

okay, the 32 teams are broken down into 8 groups

The teams in the groups play each other in the same group once each

The two teams with the best record move on

Then they play elimination games until there's a winner

THANKS!

- I know that was really simple but.............................. yeah. :lol:

For a visual representation, take a look at the chart that The People posted on page 1. That might make this a bit more clear.

okay, the 32 teams are broken down into 8 groups

The teams in the groups play each other in the same group once each

The two teams with the best record move on

Then they play elimination games until there's a winner

THANKS!

- I know that was really simple but.............................. yeah. :lol:

No worries, if you don't know the format, its not hard to get confused.

Day 2 Results:

England 1 - Paraguay 0

Trinidad & Tobago 0 - Sweden 0

Argentina 2 - Ivory Coast 1

Knew that England and Argentina would pull it out, but T & T drawing with Sweden :shock:.

England was lucky to get that goal....meh,a goal is a goal..my dad is happy they won since he is from England. I guess im kind of cheering for them since im half british.

England was lucky to get that goal....meh,a goal is a goal..my dad is happy they won since he is from England. I guess im kind of cheering for them since im half british.

They sure were. If it weren't for Gamarra for deflecting in Beckham's shot, the game would've most likely ended in a 0-0 draw.

Day 3 Results:

Netherlands 1 - Serbia & Montenegro 0 :mrgreen:

Mexico 3 - Iran 1

Portugal 1 - Angola 0

Robben was outstanding for the Netherlands. Does anyone else think that Iran just gave up in the second half?

did not watch the game since I was too lazy to move my butt from upstairs to downstairs. But did see the England game. As a matter of fact until the Netherlands game most, besides Germany vs. Costa Rica were quite unexciting, but that is to be expected until the next round. Poor Germany will either have to play England or Argentina in the next round. Ouch.

^I agree. All I hear on other boards from Americans is "We are ranked 5th" as if anyone besides the U.S. take the FIFA Rankings seriously. Some even said that they spent more time in the Czechs side of the field for 2/3rds of the game. Now that is a laugh.

Croatia vs. Brazil in 3 hours....

My Checkered Heroes are in tough. I'm so nervous right now, it's not even funny.

Sorry your team lost. It was a good game though.

My Checkered Heroes are in tough. I'm so nervous right now, it's not even funny.

Tis alright. They played well, well enough to deserve a tie. But it's something to build upon. I'd be really worried if they had lost 3-0, but 1-0 against the top ranked Brazilians? I'll take it.

They knew coming in they couldn't afford slip-ups against Japan and Australia anyways, so it comes down to those two games, and no more excuses. These are games that they can win, should win, and have to win.

Tis alright. They played well, well enough to deserve a tie. But it's something to build upon. I'd be really worried if they had lost 3-0, but 1-0 against the top ranked Brazilians? I'll take it.

They knew coming in they couldn't afford slip-ups against Japan and Australia anyways, so it comes down to those two games, and no more excuses. These are games that they can win, should win, and have to win.

Well it was tough luck against Japan with that 0-0 draw. Japan now needs to beat Brazil next match or else they're eliminated from the next round... or in other words, they're eliminated from the next round. Croatia has put themselves between a rock and a hard place. It's now a must-win situation against Australia and if i'm not mistaken, they must win by more than 2 goals to win the tie-breaker.

Good game by the Swiss, although they didn't dominate. Togo couldn't connect in the box, and that's why they lost. Good effort for a first time team, but they are eliminated none the less.

Swiss 2 Togo 0