The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FIFA WORLD CUP THREAD: GERMANY 2006

Ukraine Dominated this game. If they had some more finish like some of the other teams, they could have won 10 or 15 to 0

Seriously, that game was so one sided.

Ukraine Dominated this game. If they had some more finish like some of the other teams, they could have won 10 or 15 to 0

That was probably the most one sided game other than the Ukraine Spain game....

That was probably the most one sided game other than the Ukraine Spain game....

Also the Argentina - Serbia and Montenegro game. Final score was 6-0, but it could have been way more for Argentina.

Croatia vs. Brazil in 3 hours....

My Checkered Heroes are in tough. I'm so nervous right now, it's not even funny.

Sorry your team lost. It was a good game though.

Tis alright. They played well, well enough to deserve a tie. But it's something to build upon. I'd be really worried if they had lost 3-0, but 1-0 against the top ranked Brazilians? I'll take it.

They knew coming in they couldn't afford slip-ups against Japan and Australia anyways, so it comes down to those two games, and no more excuses. These are games that they can win, should win, and have to win.

Well it was tough luck against Japan with that 0-0 draw. Japan now needs to beat Brazil next match or else they're eliminated from the next round... or in other words, they're eliminated from the next round. Croatia has put themselves between a rock and a hard place. It's now a must-win situation against Australia and if i'm not mistaken, they must win by more than 2 goals to win the tie-breaker.

It is a must-win situation, yes, but not necessarily by 2 goals. A win is good enough. That would give Croatia 4 points to Australia's 3. Besides, Japan won't beat Brazil, and a tie does them no good.

A Croatia win, and they're in.

You can guess where I'll be on Thursday: in front of a TV at a bar, watching that game with unbroken concentration.

Ecuador - Germany 0:3. Very good game. Miroslav Klose: fourth goal in his third match.

Klose is killing me in my pool. I should have picked him :(

Ecuador - Germany 0:3. Very good game. Miroslav Klose: fourth goal in his third match.

you should have looked how he did in the last world cup. I believe he was second in scoring to Ronaldo.

you should have looked how he did in the last world cup. I believe he was second in scoring to Ronaldo.

This time he'll be the first in scoring, I think. He played such a good Bundesliga-season and he has a run.

This time he'll be the first in scoring, I think. He played such a good Bundesliga-season and he has a run.

I think Klose is finally maturing into a goal scorer. He is stronger this year then he was last world cup. Good to see since everyone was calling him to be taken out of the lineup just a year ago. Now if Ballack and Lucas can get into a groove then Germany will be a very dangerous team to play against. They proved that against Ecuador.

Now it's going to be pretty hard for us. Sweden is doable, but then... We have always home games though, thats our advantage.

If you take France for example, they won the world cup when it took place in France, but now? They shot one goal since their championship...

At home -- everything is possible :wink:

Now it's going to be pretty hard for us. Sweden is doable, but then... We have always home games though, thats our advantage.  

If you take France for example, they won the world cup when it took place in France, but now? They shot one goal since their championship...  

At home -- everything is possible  :wink:

was talking to friends and I came to the decision that Klinsman is the best man for the job as coach. He did what no other coach did for Germany and that was bring in the young guys. Look at France now. They were young in 98 and kept the same team together for this world cup. No real young players on the team means that they will be crap, like Germany was for the past years, for a few yeard more.

Round 2:

Germany vs. Sweden

Argentina vs. Mexico

Italy vs. Australia

Switzerland vs. Ukraine

England vs. Ecuador

Portugal vs. Netherlands

Brazil vs. Ghana

Spain vs. France

I wasn't expecting to see Australia or Ghana, or Switzerland for that matter, get this far... I certainly don't expect to see any more of Australia or Ghana beyond this round, although Switzerland could pose a problem for Ukraine. Most of these matchups look pretty interesting, though.

I also love the fact that the U.S. isn't among those 16 teams.

At home -- everything is possible  :wink:

was talking to friends and I came to the decision that Klinsman is the best man for the job as coach. He did what no other coach did for Germany and that was bring in the young guys. Look at France now. They were young in 98 and kept the same team together for this world cup. No real young players on the team means that they will be crap, like Germany was for the past years, for a few yeard more.

That's exactly what I think about Klinsmann. He's really good for us. I couldn't understand at the beginning of his job as the national coach, everybody said: he's bad, not good enough and why he as the coach and so on... Nobody wanted to be the coach of the national team. He said: Ok, I'll try it. And the team he build is good, we can't complain. Like you said; the team is young and also fresh...The nomination of Odonkor, for example, was a good idea.

I don't care anymore.

Yes. I am a sore loser.

Yes. I am still crying.

This just isn't fair.

Stupid Aussies. What were we thinking, going into the defensive shell like that?

Another Croatian disappointment. So disheartening.

Did anyone watch Portugal vs Netherlands? 16 yellows with 4 players red carded. It was pretty exciting actually... when soccer becomes a full contact sport. :lol:

I don't watch soccer often but i'm just wondering, has anyone ever proposed a "half court rule?" like in basketball, you cannot bring the ball back to your side of the court after you bring it over. I think soccer should adopt this rule to make the game more offensive. It's so boring when the D are passing the ball back and forth amongst themselves and then eventually back to the goalie. Once the ball crosses midfield, it shouldnt be allowed to go back.

WTF was up with ref in the Portugal - Netherlands game. At least I still have England and Argentina to cheer for.

The next game will be tough for Portugal; without Costinha, Deco and maybe Cristiano Ronaldo in the lineup...

Team Switzerland plays tonight against the Ukraine, unfortunately without their best defender Philippe Senderos from Arsenal London (shoulder injury). Advantage Shevtchenko.... :?:

How about those Australians? I didn't see the game, but holding Italy without a goal for 95 minutes is pretty impressive. For them, that's practically a win.

Did anyone watch Portugal vs Netherlands?  16 yellows with 4 players red carded.  It was pretty exciting actually... when soccer becomes a full contact sport.  :lol:

I don't watch soccer often but i'm just wondering, has anyone ever proposed a "half court rule?"  like in basketball, you cannot bring the ball back to your side of the court after you bring it over.  I think soccer should adopt this rule to make the game more offensive.  It's so boring when the D are passing the ball back and forth amongst themselves and then eventually back to the goalie.  Once the ball crosses midfield, it shouldnt be allowed to go back.

Thats funny you mention this because I have been saying that to people over the last few days too. I also think they should review games after and fine/suspend players for dives. It drives me nuts watching these grown men act like they've been shot only to see them run like a deer 30 seconds later.... and all because of a magical spray :roll:

Did anyone watch Portugal vs Netherlands?  16 yellows with 4 players red carded.  It was pretty exciting actually... when soccer becomes a full contact sport.  :lol:

Bad, that Netherland is out. Was always fun with them in our city. The most of their fans and also the team was living next to Freiburg. It was an orange invasion, when they came down to watch the training of their team. Nice people...