The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FIFA WORLD CUP THREAD: GERMANY 2006

Did anyone watch Portugal vs Netherlands?  16 yellows with 4 players red carded.  It was pretty exciting actually... when soccer becomes a full contact sport.  :lol:

Bad, that Netherland is out. Was always fun with them in our city. The most of their fans and also the team was living next to Freiburg. It was an orange invasion, when they came down to watch the training of their team. Nice people...

Following massive protest by Korean fans to FIFA about the refereering in the Korea vs Swiss game, FIFA blocked South Koreans from emailing FIFA.com

News Article

피파vs韓네티즌,재경기 대신 사

^ Well, it's hard to blame their fans. That game was horribly officiated and the South Koreans were robbed. I just find all this a bit ironic because it was the result of questionable officiating that helped the South Koreans beat Italy in 2002. Korean Fans weren't complaining back then.

^ That's going to be a great match. Hopefully Crouch gets to play and we finally get to see some robot action.

^ That's going to be a great match.  Hopefully Crouch gets to play and we finally get to see some robot action.

Hopefully Mr.Sven-Goran Eriksson relized that he shouldn't be playing a 5-4-1 and plays both Crouchie and Rooney upfront tommorow.

I'm corious because of the next game against Italy. In the past we never won against them in a world cup, but this time it'll be different :wink:

Beckam resigned. He won't be the captain any more.

Anyone else watch soccer simply to laugh at all the dives?

They say it is a 'gentlemens sport', to be played with class and respect. But what class is there in flopping around like a fish outta water over the slightest bodily contact? Could you imagine if these guys played in the NHL? It'd almost be worth the price of admission to watch some panzy like Beckham try and get past Phaneuf. Gary Leeman, these guys probably couldnt even accept a pass without falling down.

There is no possible way in hell Portugal deserved to win that game. Portugal are almost as bad divers as Italy, and now I hate Cristiano Ronaldo twice as much as I did before, and I hated him alot before.

Can't wait to see the headlines when Man U's season starts next year. The British media is going to go to town with all the Rooney vs. Ronaldo stories.

They say it is a 'gentlemens sport', to be played with class and respect. But what class is there in flopping around like a fish outta water over the slightest bodily contact? Could you imagine if these guys played in the NHL? It'd almost be worth the price of admission to watch some panzy like Beckham try and get past Phaneuf. ****, these guys probably couldnt even accept a pass without falling down.

I was watching it the other day and thought the exact same thing. There were so many dives and guys who grabbed their legs when they fell and I couldn't figure out what the deal was. I mean they aren't as padded as hockey players but still it was grossly excessive.

Can't wait to see the headlines when Man U's season starts next year.  The British media is going to go to town with all the Rooney vs. Ronaldo stories.

i hope man u falls apart and finish well lower than this year. That would be so nice.

i hope man u falls apart and finish well lower than this year. That would be so nice.

They got too much talent and money for that to happen, but with the way that Chelsea keeps buying people up, you never know.

Anyone else see the Germany v. Italy semifinal today? What an excellent game, and an amazing finish! I thought it was going to penalty kicks for sure! :shock:

Who do you think Italy will play in the Final - France or Portugal - and any predictions on the final score?

They say it is a 'gentlemens sport', to be played with class and respect. But what class is there in flopping around like a fish outta water over the slightest bodily contact? Could you imagine if these guys played in the NHL? It'd almost be worth the price of admission to watch some panzy like Beckham try and get past Phaneuf. ****, these guys probably couldnt even accept a pass without falling down.

I was watching it the other day and thought the exact same thing. There were so many dives and guys who grabbed their legs when they fell and I couldn't figure out what the deal was. I mean they aren't as padded as hockey players but still it was grossly excessive.

Exactly. It's not so much the diving that bothers me, but the way they act when they're on the ground.

*Dive!*

*Player looks to see who has ball*

*Other team has ball*

*Player flails around Mike Ribiero style*

Some of them act as if they've been shot and the sad thing is, that is an understatement.

Exactly. It's not so much the diving that bothers me, but the way they act when they're on the ground.

*Dive!*

*Player looks to see who has ball*

*Other team has ball*

*Player flails around Mike Ribiero style*

Some of them act as if they've been shot and the sad thing is, that is an understatement.

And how is hockey different? There are a handful of players in the NHL who would do well in Hollywood with their dramatic antics.

Soccer is a relatively classy sport for the most part. Rarely in hockey do you see a member of a team patting a member from the opposite team on the back.

For some reason, I've got a bad feeling that it's going to be an Italy-Portugal final. :?

Is anybody heading somewhere to watch the gold medal game on Sunday?  Was thinking about actually taking the time to watch it since I have the day off if anyone  else would care to join me?

I'm not sure what my plans are so I cannot commit. It is Stampede afterall. Either way, keep me updated as to where you guys may or may not be. If I can make it, I'll come root for Portugal (hopefully).