The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FIFA WORLD CUP THREAD: GERMANY 2006

Anyone else watch soccer simply to laugh at all the dives?

They say it is a 'gentlemens sport', to be played with class and respect. But what class is there in flopping around like a fish outta water over the slightest bodily contact? Could you imagine if these guys played in the NHL? It'd almost be worth the price of admission to watch some panzy like Beckham try and get past Phaneuf. ****, these guys probably couldnt even accept a pass without falling down.

I was watching it the other day and thought the exact same thing. There were so many dives and guys who grabbed their legs when they fell and I couldn't figure out what the deal was. I mean they aren't as padded as hockey players but still it was grossly excessive.

Exactly. It's not so much the diving that bothers me, but the way they act when they're on the ground.

*Dive!*

*Player looks to see who has ball*

*Other team has ball*

*Player flails around Mike Ribiero style*

Some of them act as if they've been shot and the sad thing is, that is an understatement.

And how is hockey different? There are a handful of players in the NHL who would do well in Hollywood with their dramatic antics.

Soccer is a relatively classy sport for the most part. Rarely in hockey do you see a member of a team patting a member from the opposite team on the back.

For some reason, I've got a bad feeling that it's going to be an Italy-Portugal final. :?

Are you comparing Soccer to Hockey???? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

There might be a few NHL'ers who are known for diving, but that's a pretty small number compared to soccer where EVERYONE IS A PANZY DIVER.

Are you comparing Soccer to Hockey???? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

There might be a few NHL'ers who are known for diving, but that's a pretty small number compared to soccer where EVERYONE IS A PANZY DIVER.

its not as bad, but i notice it now alot. More so than ever before, and its starting to get pretty bad, as bad as soccer? no, of course not, but its now noticable.

Ooooh, apparently soccer can divide the best of friends...  GO ITALY!  :wink:

Well now that Portugal are out I guess it will have to be ITALIA!

I can't, in good conscience, cheer for the French.

Can we be friends again?

Can we be friends again?

Maybe. But then you're probably cheering for Portugal to beat Germany... :?

Can we be friends again?

Maybe. But then you're probably cheering for Portugal to beat Germany... :?

Yeah, that's for sure. You'd think I'd be bitter about Portugal beeting out the Dutch. But the next best thing to Holland winning the World Cup, is both England and Germany not winning the World Cup.

The 3rd place game is rubbish anyhoo.

YAY! It's over! Now we can get back to the hockey talk on TSN, The Score and Sportsnet.

I will say, this is the second world cup final game I've watched, last was in 94 with Italy to. Such a stupid way to decide a championship, penalty kicks. Just rediculous. At least this time Italy's best played didn't kick the ball over the net :roll:

Nobody likes it when a championship is decided on penalty kicks, but I don't think they could endure triple overtimes, or 5 overtimes, to be quite honest.

But I am somewhat glad that the Italians won. They played an OK game.

But yes, I'll have to agree with you -- thank god it's over.

France deserved the win. Second half of the game plus extra time was all theirs. To bad Zidane had to end a great international career with one of the stupidest moves I have ever seen in football.

France outplayed the Italians all over the field, in regulation as well as OT. But I think when Zidane pulled that little stunt, he really brought his team down. It was a stupid move, and everyone KNEW the moment that he was granted the red card, it was just about over for France. Captian's gone, and Zidane had to know that they were going to PK. He couldn't wait to give that guy a good one after the game...I just wonder what that guy did say to Zidane that made him go over the edge.

But I'll have to say that Zidane lost that game for his team. With one little action. How sad.

All I will say is this.

Italy's win is tainted.

They shouldn't have even been there. Australia outplayed them in the round of 16, and this wasn't a case of "could have, should have", that game was going to extra time. And I thought I saw some bad calls in the NHL playoff's deciding games....that one was horrible.

Australia got the shaft. No Italian can deny that. No one can deny that.

All I will say is this.

Italy's win is tainted.

They shouldn't have even been there. Australia outplayed them in the round of 16, and this wasn't a case of "could have, should have", that game was going to extra time. And I thought I saw some bad calls in the NHL playoff's deciding games....that one was horrible.

Australia got the shaft. No Italian can deny that. No one can deny that.

poor sport....

They lost and Italy won. Oh well

Nobody likes it when a championship is decided on penalty kicks, but I don't think they could endure triple overtimes, or 5 overtimes, to be quite honest.

But I am somewhat glad that the Italians won. They played an OK game.

But yes, I'll have to agree with you -- thank god it's over.

Sucks when a championship game is decided on which way the goalie dives.. its not like the goalie has a chance.. its 95% guess and 5% calculation.

How long is "the greatest sport" going to decide a game like that.

Hockey changes and other sports change, why can't soccer.. ermm footy..

Hockey changes and other sports change, why can't soccer.. ermm footy..

Soccer should introduce a "back court rule" like the NBA to force play forward. Don't let players pass the ball back after they cross mid-field. They could use a 24-second rule as well. Shoot within 24-seconds or lose the ball to the other team!