The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FIFA WORLD CUP THREAD: GERMANY 2006

Don't have the link because I don't have a subscription to the Herald online, but this I thought that this was worth a post. 4 million veiwers for the World Cup final is huge for a non soccer country. Hopefully the CSA gets of their Gary Bettman and takes advantage of this.

Bruce Dowbiggin

Soccer: What now in Canada?: Key is to cash in on huge interest in World Cup

Calgary Herald

14 July 2006

Calgary Herald

Copyright © 2006 Calgary Herald

Four million Canadians. That's a four followed by six zeroes. ...According to the wonks who do this for a living, the TV audience for the World Cup final in Canada peaked at four million people on Sunday afternoon.

Apparently this moment of communal bliss was achieved just after the moment that Zinedine Zidane -- hero of the French Republic -- planted his shaved forehead in the sternum of his tormentor Marco Materazzi -- idol of the Azzuri faithful. (Which prompted the Mick-McGeough-in-shorts to red card Zizu for his impersonation of a buck in mating season.)

Perhaps the four million Canucks were curious what witty badinage had passed between the two futbol stars in a moment of stress.

Perhaps the Nielsen people simply counted every Italian and every person who likes lasagna. Perhaps the four million had simply blundered into the Italy/France broadcast while looking for the 1986 Flames/Habs final on the NHL Channel.

No matter. Four million they call it, and so four million it shall be.

For a brief, shining moment this nation was in the thrall of a sport that everyone plays till the age of 11 and then moves on to sterner stuff. Like golf.

Let me put that four million figure in some context. There was just one hockey game this year that can claim the distinction of the four-million plateau. Only Game 7 of the Stanley Cup final this year outdrew the World Cup final. And the Super Bowl in January. That's it.

The conclusion of the 2006 World Cup outdrew every NHL game, the Grey Cup, the World Series, the NBA final's Game 6, the Indy 500, the Masters, Damon Allen's Quarterback Challenge, Brian Williams' interview with Ricky Williams . . . all of 'em. With viewers to spare. Overall, the numbers for the WC 2006 were up by 98 per cent over 2002.

It's a tribute to . . . I'm not sure what it's a tribute to. Certainly it's the pleasant face of our more multicultural society, the new Canadians who bring a love for soccer/football with them from outside these borders. Plus, the press had built up the tournament with blanket coverage on all media. Oh . . . I also heard that it rained like Judgment Day in a number of cities Sunday, including Calgary, Toronto and other Eastern hotbeds.

But this massive throng still comes as a huge surprise to the people in this country who know from bitter experience that a Canadian would not cross the street to see a pro soccer game in his/her city if you let them in gratis, gave them a seven-course meal and promised to take Canadian Idol off the air.

To say soccer's been a hard sell in the country is like saying bull riding might be jarring for the vertebrae. Teams, leagues and players in Canada have arrived with a flourish and departed without a trace in the middle of the night. While touring national sides fill seats, Canada's national team -- the one that should be in the World Cup (yeah, right . . .) couldn't draw a Canadian crowd if Maria Sharapova was playing goalie in a wet T-shirt.

But that might be changing with the TV numbers from Sunday. The cachet of soccer fashion (a la David Beckham), the rapt attention of the sports channels and the changing demographic of the nation suggest the time is finally right for soccer.

That's what the people behind Toronto's new Major League Soccer team hope. That's also the fervent dream of the organizers of next year's Under 21 World Championships being played across the country. And it's the plea for the eternal optimists who run Canada's national men's squad.

The question now is can the same suits who've made nothing of previous soccer fads be entrusted to translate the 2006 World Cup mania into some Canadian success at the world level?

Can they use the newfound interest in the sport to retain players such as Owen Hargreaves for Canada rather than have him play passport roulette?

Or is it time to import world-class experts to give Canada's program a jolt -- not unlike Zidane's emphatic head butt to Materazzi? The Americans are thinking of lavishing millions on German coach Jurgen Klinsmann to push their team into the world elite.

Maybe it's time for the well-heeled soccer aficionados in this country to stop moaning and cough up the cash to bring a Scolari or Hiddink or Advocaat to Canada to maximize the talent here. It's worth a try. After all, four million Canadians can't be wrong.

Four million Canadians. That's a four followed by six zeroes. ...According to the wonks who do this for a living, the TV audience for the World Cup final in Canada peaked at four million people on Sunday afternoon.

Nothing else to do. No real hockey talk and baseball is a snooze to. Kinda like sleeping backwards, feet at the head board. Plu,s Sunday afternoon TV sucks anytime.

Nothing else to do. No real hockey talk and baseball is a snooze to. Kinda like sleeping backwards, feet at the head board. Plu,s Sunday afternoon TV sucks anytime.

I think that the third most watched event of the year is due more to the fact that people wanted to tune in, rather than it being aired on a lazy Sunday afternoon. Give the World Cup final a little more credit than that.

I think that the third most watched event of the year is due more to the fact that people wanted to tune in, rather than it being aired on a lazy Sunday afternoon. Give the World Cup final a little more credit than that.

I "tuned" in because there was nothing else on. So did my dad. I wasn't even watching really, just like I've got L&OSVU on now that I'm not really even watching. Regardless, 1 game every 4 years will do zip to boost some cash flow into the national soccer program. Canadians as a whole would crap if tax money went into soccer rather than hockey.

I "tuned" in because there was nothing else on. So did my dad. I wasn't even watching really, just like I've got L&OSVU on now that I'm not really even watching. Regardless, 1 game every 4 years will do zip to boost some cash flow into the national soccer program. Canadians as a whole would crap if tax money went into soccer rather than hockey.

I guess you wouldn't like to know about all the money being invested by government (municipal, provincial and federal) to host the U-20 World Championship next year or the $27 million given by the federal government and $8 million given by the Ontario provincial goverment for the new stadium in Toronto. BTW, the Montreal Impact want a new stadium and you know the federal government will be all over that.

Canadians as a whole would crap if tax money went into soccer rather than hockey.

Have you "crapped" yet?

Interesting fact about the Materazzi - Zidane incident.

As we all know, the ref and his assistent didn't see what happend.

The 4th official saw it on his tv.

Because you can't use tv material to make a decission, Zidane's advocate is trying to get this game disallowed (if I used the word correctly)

Which could mean the final should be played again!

(not gonne happen though)

Interesting fact about the Materazzi - Zidane incident.

As we all know, the ref and his assistent didn't see what happend.

The 4th official saw it on his tv.

Because you can't use tv material to make a decission, Zidane's advocate is trying to get this game disallowed (if I used the word correctly)

Which could mean the final should be played again!

(not gonne happen though)

Too bad I was cheering for france :(