The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Double standard?

Another world cup thread? in again before the lock :P

And no, there's a big difference here. Flames games were later at night and there were many many many more thousands of people rushing to the red mile, not a few hundred, maybe a thousand, world cup fans who at 3pm would not have had an extra 7 hours of drinking in them.

Actually, its a thread about the police and how they turned a blind eye to one celebration and tried to surpress another.

I live down town and I got to watch countless pickup trucks and flatbeds loaded with Italy fans racing up and down the streets while they leaned on their horns. And yet not one was pulled over, much less fined. People on the Red mile were being ticketed just for honking.

Actually, its a thread about the police and how they turned a blind eye to one celebration and tried to surpress another.

I live down town and I got to watch countless pickup trucks and flatbeds loaded with Italy fans racing up and down the streets while they leaned on their horns.  And yet not one was pulled over, much less fined.  People on the Red mile were being ticketed just for honking.

I wasn't there but WOW that sounds horrible (with the double standard) that's not fair if that is what happened. How I see it I'm all for controlling vandalization, nudity, minors consuming alcohol, violence but fining for honking/J-walking was just plain stupid and ended up pissing people off.

Yes there was a double standard, but IMO, it was justified. THe World Cup is one game. That's it. That's all the party there is going to be. The playoffs in hockey are many many more games, and with each win and each round, the party gets worse and worse. We all saw it degrade into whatever that was by Round 4 in 2004. It wasn't pretty. In 2004 the Police did let people do what they wanted. This year the crackdown was because the party started out larger than it did in 2004, and when the party starts out larger, it ends up larger and with more problems. They wanted to curb those from the get-go.

Again, one day vs. what is potentially weeks of a party that just keeps getting bigger... no contest.

Yes there was a double standard, but IMO, it was justified.  THe World Cup is one game.  That's it.  That's all the party there is going to be.  The playoffs in hockey are many many more games, and with each win and each round, the party gets worse and worse.  We all saw it degrade into whatever that was by Round 4 in 2004.  It wasn't pretty.  In 2004 the Police did let people do what they wanted.  This year the crackdown was because the party started out larger than it did in 2004, and when the party starts out larger, it ends up larger and with more problems.  They wanted to curb those from the get-go.  

Again, one day vs. what is potentially weeks of a party that just keeps getting bigger... no contest.

I think he has it right.

The first few nights, as I recall, of the first year things were pretty lax until the Cops realized that this wasn't just a 1-night or 1-series thing. As for world cup - it's over. No more games. It's not like we have to expect this again for the next 8 weeks. I'll bet if the Flames Fans gave it a bit of a rest after the first few days, no one would have seen it as such a big of a deal.

I have to disagree that it is was limited to one day. There were Italy fans doing the same thing during semi-finals and the quarter finals. Albeit, not in the same numbers as yesterday.

The point is, if the cops are going to allow soccer fans to celebrate freely, then they should let hockey fans celebrate freely!

I have to disagree that it is was limited to one day.  There were Italy fans doing the same thing during semi-finals and the quarter finals.  Albeit, not in the same numbers as yesterday.

The point is, if the cops are going to allow soccer fans to celebrate freely, then they should let hockey fans celebrate freely!

but they werent doing it for the 8 weeks of playoff hockey

Perhaps you didn't notice, but the Flames playoff run didn't last 8 weeks.

Perhaps you didn't notice, but the Flames playoff run didn't last 8 weeks.

And you still haven't noticed the it was 1 party that took place in the middle of the day during the Stampede when the cops are already busy. So people were honking horns at 3pm, how many people did that keep from getting to sleep so they could get up at 6am for work?

The point of the police starting strong on the Red Mile was to keep the craziness down from the start, rather than lt it escalade up and up untill it was out of control. It's also quite possible they didn't believe as many people would show up as did. There were still less than 1000 fans compared to the 20,000+ who showed up on the Red Mile. The issue with the Red Mile this season is that the cops came out in force from the start with a Zero tollerance policy. That backfired big time. Rather than control the super rowdies they started off trying to control everything. Rather than allow fans to celebrate and keep control of the exessiveness they didn't allow anything. That will never work. Did you happen to notice that after the frst few games the cops became more relaxed and only dealt with the more serious things?

In no way is this a double standard, since I could not give a monkey's butt who won and no one I knew was making plans to head down to the celebration. EVERYONE I knew was headed to the Red Mile. The cops that were present made sure things didn't get out of hand. It's over, it's done. Who cares? Or are you one of those people who say the cops on the Red Mile and were warned not to yell or honk or j-walk and then did it only to be detained and fined... :roll:

Oh man.

Do NOT even get me going on the Red Mile issue.

It takes *ONE* spark to light a powder keg my friends. The Police are in full force as there is a POTENTIAL for disaster. Public safety is the number 1 priority.

And those traffic tickets for honking horns? Well, how would you feel if you lived close to 17 av and had a 10 hour shift at work and wanted to get some shut eye? See this is what bugs me, nobody stops to think about how their actions are effecting other people around them. :x

And everyone should be in full support of police presence after seeing what happened in Edmonton.

Yay we won a game! /stab stab stab

Why can't people celebrate hockey at home and cheer on the flames in a pub or at a house party? The Red Mile incident was just another reason for people to get out, get drunk and get stupid and I gurantee half the people celebrating on the Red Mile couldn't name 3 other Flames players other than Kipper or Iggy.

Oh man.  

Do NOT even get me going on the Red Mile issue.  

It takes *ONE* spark to light a powder keg my friends. The Police are in full force as there is a POTENTIAL for disaster. Public safety is the number 1 priority.  

And those traffic tickets for honking horns? Well, how would you feel if you lived close to 17 av and had a 10 hour shift at work and wanted to get some shut eye? See this is what bugs me, nobody stops to think about how their actions are effecting other people around them.  :x  

And everyone should be in full support of police presence after seeing what happened in Edmonton.

Yay we won a game! /stab stab stab

Why can't people celebrate hockey at home and cheer on the flames in a pub or at a house party? The Red Mile incident was just another reason for people to get out, get drunk and get stupid and I gurantee half the people celebrating on the Red Mile couldn't name 3 other Flames players other than Kipper or Iggy.

My sediments exactly. Though tickets for cheering and being abit noisey was exessive. But it's true the the Mile became nothing more than an excuse to drink and join a huge crowd. The cops have to let the people party in peace, but also keep the peace. First sign of any real trouble, step in and send the people home. But they do have to let them party, otherwise the half drunk morons will cause worse trouble than just some noise.

Back on topic. The cops were not using any double standard. To think so is ludacris, to accuse the Calgary Police Force of being pro-Italia but Anti-Flames is just dumb.

People who believe that you should be ticketed for making noise, or if you believe that we should be considerate of people who live around 17th and keep the noise level down are really missing it here. I'm sorry but I dont want to get into it but what on earth possesses you to move around 17th ave and believe that there will be little noise? it is party central. :roll: Thats why you choose what fits your lifestyle, like me I need a quiet neighbourhood with little noise and easy access to downtown so we chose RIVERBEND.

Back to the topic I dont think the Calgary Police was expecting a really large crowd and that could've contributed to no crackdown. Also the police announcing their crackdown on the Redmile was a dumb move way to piss the crowd off, wonder who made that stupid decision.

Well we can all agree to disagree since the Red Mile will never have it's lack of opinions.

Anyway I don't think there was a double standard. The World Cup was a popular event but football/soccer isn't a religion like it is in Europe and South America.

Let's face it, in the grand scheme of things soccer is about as important in North America as hockey is in Africa, so it's an unfair comparison.

If I was the chief of police I definitely wouldn't allocate my already overworked and understaffed police force to assemble in preparation for a soccer riot in Calgary. Over a game not involving Canada that is being played half-way across the world no less. :lol:

"Sorry Mr. and Mrs. Taxpayer, I can't attend the Break & Enter in progress at your house as I am on high alert for a soccer riot..." 8)

People who believe that you should be ticketed for making noise, or if you believe that we should be considerate of people who live around 17th and keep the noise level down are really missing it here. I'm sorry but I dont want to get into it but what on earth possesses you to move around 17th ave and believe that there will be little noise? it is party central.  :roll:  Thats why you choose what fits your lifestyle, like me I need a quiet neighbourhood with little noise and easy access to downtown so we chose RIVERBEND.

Back to the topic I dont think the Calgary Police was expecting a really large crowd and that could've contributed to no crackdown. Also the police announcing their crackdown on the Redmile was a dumb move way to piss the crowd off, wonder who made that stupid decision.

5 years ago 17th ave was not party central. People in the area did not all just move in because they love the party lifestyle. That's a poor misconception. 10 years ago it was still Electric Ave on 11th. But yes the zero tollerance was way overboard. After 2 years ago people who lived around 17th should have been prepared for the parties. Just like the people on 12th are always there ready to park your car on their lawn 5 blocks from the Dome at -30 and charge you a dollar more than the actual grounds because it's "convinient" :roll:

And those traffic tickets for honking horns? Well, how would you feel if you lived close to 17 av and had a 10 hour shift at work and wanted to get some shut eye? See this is what bugs me, nobody stops to think about how their actions are effecting other people around them.  :x

I live on 16th Ave and my apartment is on the side facing 17th. I LOVED going to sleep at night to partiers after a Flames win because, well, it meant a Flames win. What I hate is the jerks parading down my street at 2 am on a random weekday morning, shouting at each other or blasting their car stereos while parked outside my window. That is what I think the negative side of being a Red Mile resident is... the people who don't just get rowdy for the hockey, they get rowdy because they are on 17th and think that's what they have to do.

I guess it comes with the territory, but sometimes I just wanna throw things out my window at people. I live too close to the gound to get away with that though. :(

I'm gonna end up being the chick standing on my balcony with my cane, shaking my fist and yelling "get off my lawn you crazy kids..."