The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stampede Wrestling

Watching Ed Whalen almost makes you think that wrestling isn't fake. He would get himself so worked up interviewing the "Heel" wrestlers then hit them with his microphone. Pretty Funny. I miss the old wrestlers Muckah Sing aka Bastion Booger in the WWE. Man he was a bad Gary Bettman in Stampede Wrestling days. I remember it being like a 3 hour show on TSN when it was still on TV.

It was budget wrestling but the matches were great.

Bad News Brown who did stints in both Stampe and the WWF (WWE IS such a garbage name) now works security at the mall out in Airdrie. Heck of a nice guy, he became good friends with my mom when she worked in the mall. Years of the physicality in the ring took one big toll on his body though.

Watching Ed Whalen almost makes you think that wrestling isn't fake.  He would get himself so worked up interviewing the "Heel" wrestlers then hit them with his microphone.  Pretty Funny.  I miss the old wrestlers Muckah Sing aka Bastion Booger in the WWE.  Man he was a bad *** in Stampede Wrestling days.  I remember it being like a 3 hour show on TSN when it was still on TV.  

It was budget wrestling but the matches were great.

Whalen was the best. I remember one interview when he was chiding Makhan Singh and started to read a piece of fan mail about what a goof Singh was. All of a sudden Makhan Singh grabs Whalen glasses and says, "You ain't readin' nothing Whalen!" and breaks the glasses in half.

Ed flips out!

He starts yelling, "You broke my glasses you son of a ..." and hits Singh with the microphone just as the profanity comes out. Funniest interview ever. Singh hightails it out of there as Whalen's standing there screaming about his glasses. Good times.

Ya I really liked Bad News Allan as he was called in Stampede wrastlin. His Ghetoblaster finishing move was cool as well. `Mabee if I ever visit my cousin that lives in Airdre I will have a look around the mall for BNB.

I have WWE 24/7 and I am hoping that eventually it will have some access to Stampede Wrestling. Hopefully the Harts will patch up some of their differences with Vince and allow them to use some classic matches of future WWE stars.

Stampede Wrestling is in fact still running! shows are every second Friday at the Ogden Legion on Ogden Road. TNA's Johnny Devine was at the last show in fact. He wrestled dirty Duke Durrango. I know this all because I produce the internet tv show for them now.

Sorry for the cheap plug here, Mods, but you can watch the episodes at stampedewrestlingtv.com. It's fun, mindless entertainment that old school wrestling fans would be ok having their kids go to, unlike a lot of stuff on real tv these days.

After Vince bought the territory from Stu and basically raided all the talent, he reneged on the deal he had with Stu which allowed the fed to re-open, and it has been running ever since, in one form or another. There's a new promoter now, and the beer is cheap!!!

I'm sure WWE 24/7 will eventually get around to airing some Stampede stuff. According to the 24/7 website, Stampede Wrestling is part of their video library. Of course, altogether WWE has over 75,000 hours of footage to show, so it be a while till they get to it :)

As for Mike Shaw a.k.a. Bastion Booger, he still lives in Skandia, Michigan about 15 mile south of Marquette in the Upper Peninsula, where I currently live. He sometimes works as the doorman/bouncer for a club downtown, and he still does the occasional wrestling appearance as Bastion Booger. He's still well known locally and gets the big pop when he wrestles being the local hero who made it big time (despite it being for one of the most imfamous gimmicks of all time... if you want a good laugh, check out http://www.wrestlecrap.com).