The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

World record holder Gatlin also positive

man,they should get rid of these events. Everytime someone wins they are always tested positive.

Well, I don't think they should get rid of these events, I think a better solution is to ban some countries.

man,they should get rid of these events. Everytime someone wins they are always tested positive.

Well, I don't think they should get rid of these events, I think a better solution is to ban some countries.

Nah, I'm with RoadRunner on this one. No one cares, and the only time people pay attention is when someone has to cheat to win and is caught red-handed.

Nah, I'm with RoadRunner on this one. No one cares, and the only time people pay attention is when someone has to cheat to win and is caught red-handed.

what do you mean by no one cares?

In Europe, athletics is one of the most popular sports...

besides, (if I'm not mistaken) some drugs are legal in baseball? (for example)

Talk about cheating...

Talk about cheating...

Performance enhancers are illegal in baseball, and they are beginning a crackdown that should have started in the early 90's with the Bash Brothers (Canseco & McGwire) in Oakland.

Athletics has had cheating since the beginning of time. It's so hard to take seriously now.

I think a lot of Canadians were put off after Seoul in '88. Ben Johnson was a complete embarrassment to this country. The interest was rekindled quite a bit with Donovan Bailey, but since then, scandal after scandal has tarnished the sport's image in the English-speaking west for sure.

Talk about cheating...

Performance enhancers are illegal in baseball, and they are beginning a crackdown that should have started in the early 90's with the Bash Brothers (Canseco & McGwire) in Oakland.

Athletics has had cheating since the beginning of time. It's so hard to take seriously now.

I think a lot of Canadians were put off after Seoul in '88. Ben Johnson was a complete embarrassment to this country. The interest was rekindled quite a bit with Donovan Bailey, but since then, scandal after scandal has tarnished the sport's image in the English-speaking west for sure.

I can't speak for north america, but overhere athletics is still very popular and taken very seriously. Maybe because (western) european athletes almost never test positive (only some British athletes)

A solution could be to ban a country for a couple of months from any international tournaments... Suspend the U.S. for lets say 6 months because of the many doping affairs and the Balco affair....

I can't speak for north america, but overhere athletics is still very popular and taken very seriously. Maybe because (western) european athletes almost never test positive (only some British athletes)

A solution could be to ban a country for a couple of months from any international tournaments... Suspend the U.S. for lets say 6 months because of the many doping affairs and the Balco affair....

And that's fair to the US competitors that don't dope, how? You can't suspend a whole nation because of the actions of some of it's representatives. Coaches and athletes should be banned for life. The training system needs to start drug testing at an early age. Heck, start in high school. Make the kids aware that they will never get away with it. Only then will it stop.

And athletics is popular in Canada at a grassroots level but you don't see it on tv very often.

And that's fair to the US competitors that don't dope, how? You can't suspend a whole nation because of the actions of some of it's representatives. Coaches and athletes should be banned for life. The training system needs to start drug testing at an early age. Heck, start in high school. Make the kids aware that they will never get away with it. Only then will it stop.

And athletics is popular in Canada at a grassroots level but you don't see it on tv very often.

But is it fair that a country keeps A LOT of positive tests quiet for the public and the IAAF? Is it fair that Balco still exists? (sp?)

You're right about the ban for life thing... that's also a solution.