The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cody1774

Women playing in PGA

If women are allowed to play in the PGA, then men should be allowed to play in the LPGA.

:D

EXACTLY!

Haha - but my general opinion is that if they have a women's league - wnba, lpga etc.. then women should stick to their own league. But I suppose if they could qualify and compete in the men's league, I don't really have a problem with it...

I think golf / basketball is a little different than say, wrestling. I remember for our high school wrestling team two girls felt the need to prove a point - and joined the wrestling team... This forced the guys on the team to wrestle them in practice, and other guys to wrestle them in meets. I think that with our current culture, you shouldn't put a male in that situation... Not only might he be hesitant to try as hard as he could - but what if he lost?! Lol, that could do some serious psychological damage.

I have no problem with them qualifying and making the cut, but the problem is that none of them qualify at all! They are all sponsored by someone on the events to come and play. No women have been to mens Q school and slug it out to try and get a card. You really have to feel bad for the guys that just make it and live in a trailer home with a wife and kid.

And I agree, if women can play in PGA, why can't guys play on the LPGA. The fringe players on the PGA would do great and make much more on the LPGA than they would finishing last on a PGA event. But then we would have the same argument again, "Guys shouldnt be allowed to play LPGA because they are stonger and can hit father". Because we are bound by these gender rules, unless it works both ways, I really dont think it's fair.

You really have to feel bad for the guys that just make it and live in a trailer home with a wife and kid.

I'm sorry, I don't feel bad for a guy that golfs for a living no matter what his home is like. If he can't make money golfing, he could get a real job...

You really have to feel bad for the guys that just make it and live in a trailer home with a wife and kid.

I'm sorry, I don't feel bad for a guy that golfs for a living no matter what his home is like. If he can't make money golfing, he could get a real job...

Yea but the point is that these spots can be given to fringe players and not women who play in them for the novelty of things. Players like these need the experience, and it could make a huge difference for them, vs. well established players like Anika and Michelle Wie who make enough as is on the LPGA

If women are allowed to play in the PGA, then men should be allowed to play in the LPGA.

exactly

Change it to MPGA then fine. Wie is a pro golfer.

exactly

Actually, I believe that because of her age she is still an amateur. She isn't allowed to turn pro officially yet which means she isn't allowed to play in as many tournaments as the other LPGA players.

exactly

Actually, I believe that because of her age she is still an amateur. She isn't allowed to turn pro officially yet which means she isn't allowed to play in as many tournaments as the other LPGA players.

Wie turned pro like back in October. You only need to be 16 to turn pro I think

exactly

Wie turned pro like back in October. You only need to be 16 to turn pro I think

I don't believe there is a minimum age to turn pro, but because Wie is underage, she can only compete in a certain amount of tournaments, what that number is I'm unsure of.

As for women playing in men's events, I don't personally have a problem with it if they do qualify for the event. However, when they are given sponser's exemptions into a tournament, I am against it. I understand that sponsers do this in smaller events to generate more interest for their event, but as other people have said, it takes spots away from either journeymen golfers, or young up and coming golfers (Like James Lepp) who just need the chance to make some money or to gain experience.

I am all for it. It's not like Wie was being completely blown out of the water. She did shoot a 68 in the John Deere Classic. If they bring more skill to the feild then hop aboard.

She never had a sponsor exemption for any guys tourney. She tried to qualify for the US OPEN and for that tourney you don't need to go to Q school. ANYONE can qualify for an open tournement.

If she ever gets an exemption then I'll be pissed but if keeps trying to qualify like everyone else and makes it, then more power to her.

She never had a sponsor exemption for any guys tourney.  She tried to qualify for the US OPEN and for that tourney you don't need to go to Q school.  ANYONE can qualify for an open tournement.

If she ever gets an exemption then I'll be pissed but if keeps trying to qualify like everyone else and makes it, then more power to her.

Really? No sponsor's exemptions? I think Sony, 84 LUMBER and John Deere might disagree.

Check here for specific details on her acceptance of a sponsor's exemption to play in the 2006 Sony Open. This year's exemption was the third she has accepted form Sony to play in this event. She has accepted a sponsor's exemption for the 84 Lumber Classic to be played this fall, and she has played in the John Deere Classic, the tournament from which she withdrew a few weeks ago after a terrible round attributed to heat exhaustion.

The only way she is playing in PGA tournaments right now is with sponsor's exemptions. Even when she is capable of consistently winning on the LPGA circuit, I think her chances at the U.S. Open or any other Men's Open qualifiers are pretty slim.

Hey, if she's good enough, let 'er play. IF she's good enough, that is...

Sorry, I could be clever and say "let men play in the LPGA" but that's not what it's about. It's about an athlete competing against the best in the world, on world class courses, isn't it? And if she doesn't make the cut, then buh-bye!