The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cody1774

Jays Close to signing Frank Thomas

Sportsnet's Baseball Insider Ken Rosenthal has learned that the Toronto Blue Jays are on the verge of signing free-agent DH Frank Thomas to a two-year contract.  

The 38-year-old Thomas batted .270 with 39 homers and 114 RBI last season for the Oakland Athletics.  

This past season for the Oakland A's he played for a base salary of $500,000 plus $2.6 million in incentives, after coming back from an ankle injury.

Full story: http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/article.j...115_212220_2784

If JP actually signs Thomas...I'll get really hyper. This would be an awesome move for the Jays. How would it look having Thomas in the #3 spot and Glaus in the #4 spot? That would be scary!  :shock:

why would hte manager be dumb enough to drop wells in the lineup for frank thomas?... thomas won;t hit higher than 5th if he is signed

Sportsnet's Baseball Insider Ken Rosenthal has learned that the Toronto Blue Jays are on the verge of signing free-agent DH Frank Thomas to a two-year contract.  

The 38-year-old Thomas batted .270 with 39 homers and 114 RBI last season for the Oakland Athletics.  

This past season for the Oakland A's he played for a base salary of $500,000 plus $2.6 million in incentives, after coming back from an ankle injury.

If JP actually signs Thomas...I'll get really hyper. This would be an awesome move for the Jays. How would it look having Thomas in the #3 spot and Glaus in the #4 spot? That would be scary!  :shock:

why would hte manager be dumb enough to drop wells in the lineup for frank thomas?... thomas won;t hit higher than 5th if he is signed

either way...theyll have 3 guys who can hit 30 or more home runs.

or add one who will thorw out his back rounding first

or add one who will thorw out his back rounding first

um right...he only missed about 30 games last year, and added 39 home runs. I dont know why you dont like this guy, he's an awesome player.

If the salary i'm hearing is correct (around 20 mill for the contract so 10 mill a year) its a bad move for the Jays. Keep in mind this is a team with big holes in their rotation, questions in the bullpen and a big hole up the middle of their infield and all running on a pretty tight budge for the MLB.Putting 10 mill of that into a guy who while he has a bat, fils none of those holes isn't wise IMO.

Defence (in the field and pictching) wins championships, not loading up your offence (See Yankees last year).

That's why this deal is good.

By signing a big bat to throw in your DH spot, you don't have to worry about getting an offensively superior Catcher, or Shortstop, but rather you can put defense first when looking for one.

Not only will those guys be cheaper, but they'll be more effective in the field.

Aparently the Jays are looking at Alex Gonzalez (not the former Jay) and Rod Barajas to be the next SS and C. Both will cost about 2.5-4 million a season which combined is less than what Juilo Lugo will get.

If you look at the Free agents the Jays let go of at the end of the season, Zaun, Molina, Cattalanotto, Speier, and Lilly, add up to $14 450 000. Thomas' contract is for 8 million for this season and 10 next. That means that they have 6.5 million to spend just to get back to last year's payroll. Rogers is adding 10-20 million to the payroll (if not more) which will have the Jays pushing 100 million next year.

In short this is a good signing, just be patient.

By signing a big bat to throw in your DH spot, you don't have to worry about getting an offensively superior Catcher, or Shortstop, but rather you can put defense first when looking for one.  

Not only will those guys be cheaper, but they'll be more effective in the field.  

Aparently the Jays are looking at Alex Gonzalez (not the former Jay) and Rod Barajas to be the next SS and C. Both will cost about 2.5-4 million a season which combined is less than what Juilo Lugo will get.  

If you look at the Free agents the Jays let go of at the end of the season, Zaun, Molina, Cattalanotto, Speier, and Lilly, add up to $14 450 000. Thomas' contract is for 8 million for this season and 10 next. That means that they have 6.5 million to spend just to get back to last year's payroll. Rogers is adding 10-20 million to the payroll (if not more) which will have the Jays pushing 100 million next year.  

Id much rather have Gonzalez then Lugo. I dont know why lots of people I know want Lugo. Gonzalez is way better defensively..only had 7 errors in 111 games at SS. Lugo had 16 errors in 81 games. He's not a great SS as everyone says he is.

Sure I like Thomas, but offense wasn't really the issue for the Jays. I hope they are still looking for some arms.

Hmm, I'd always put him on my team whenever I played any of them baseball games :lol:

Off topic, but, does the MLB have a salary cap per team? With the way the contracts are you'd assume the cap would be like $1 billion. :lol:

Hmm, I'd always put him on my team whenever I played any of them baseball games  :lol:  

Off topic, but, does the MLB have a salary cap per team? With the way the contracts are you'd assume the cap would be like $1 billion.  :lol:

They do not have a Salary Cap, they use a Luxury Tax system if I am correct. Which is a joke IMO.

Team Payrolls

No. Team Payroll

1. New York Yankees $198,662,180

2. Boston Red Sox $120,100,524

3. Los Angeles Angels $103,625,333

4. Chicago White Sox $102,875,667

5. New York Mets $100,901,085

6. Los Angeles Dodgers $99,176,950

7. Chicago Cubs $94,841,167

8. Houston Astros $92,551,503

9. Atlanta Braves $92,461,852

10. San Francisco Giants $90,862,063

11. St. Louis Cardinals $88,441,218

12. Seattle Mariners $88,324,500

13. Philadelphia Phillies $88,273,333

14. Detroit Tigers $82,302,069

15. Baltimore Orioles $72,585,713

16. Toronto Blue Jays $71,915,000 that should go up to 85M$ for 2007.

17. San Diego Padres $69,725,179

18. Texas Rangers $65,468,130

19. Minnesota Twins $63,810,048

20. Washington Nationals $63,267,500

21. Oakland Athletics $62,322,054

22. Cincinnati Reds $59,489,015

23. Arizona Diamondbacks $59,221,226

24. Cleveland Indians $56,795,867

25. Milwaukee Brewers $56,790,000

26. Kansas City Royals $47,294,000

27. Pittsburgh Pirates $46,867,750

28. Colorado Rockies $41,133,000

29. Tampa Bay Devil Rays $35,417,967

30. Florida Marlins $14,998,500

Someone who pays more attention to MLB please tell me that the Jays are in the running for some high end pitching!

Someone who pays more attention to MLB please tell me that the Jays are in the running for some high end pitching!

They're Going after Padilla, Wolf, Mulder, Meche, and pretty much any other pitcher not named Zito.

They're Going after Padilla, Wolf, Mulder, Meche, and pretty much any other pitcher not named Zito.

How 'bout Willis? He would be a great Lefty to have, IMO.

I wouldnt mind seeing Suppan come to Tornto. He's not too expensive,gets the job done and has just won a WS with the Cards.

Looks like Thomas signed for $18 million over 2 years, with a $10 million option for 2009. If he can stay healthy, that will be a great addition.

Last year AJ Burnett made 2 million dollars and BJ Ryan made 4 milliong. Both are due raises to 13mill and about 10 mill repectively. An increase of over 12 million dollars to the payroll. They players they cut last year and htis year barely cover those raises. This eats up a big chunk of the money they had available to spend this season and thats why i'm not a huge fan of it.

I'm begining to think it was made more to build excitement than a winning team. Over the last few years, teams have consistantly proved that great pictching and d win championships, not offence. I think if Richardi was very committed to a championship he would spend money there. This builds excitment for the jays, puts buts in seats, and makes them a more exciting team to watch, but i don't think it will amount to many more wins.

well thomas is signed... i really think this is stupid... the jays have holes they arent even looking at...

the liseup so far...

1. Reed Johnson - LF

2. Alex Rios - RF

3. Vernon Wells - CF

4. Troy Gaus - 3B

5. Lyle Overbay -1B

6. Frank Thomas - DH

7. ?????? - C

8.Aaron Hill - 2B

9. ?????? - SS

as of now the Jays have no big league Catchers under contract... although TSN has reported that they have contacted Rod Baraja (sp?)... and who is available down the middle??... Hill can play either second or short... but he looked more confotable at 2nd... so the jays need to plug that hole because McDonald just isnt that guy

Well, they could always trade Wells for a pitcher and a middle infielder....
except if you listen to Riccardi and Godfrey this signing was done in an attempt to show wells they want to win and convince him to stay

I heard Riccardi saying that with Rios, Wells, Glaus, Overbay, and now Thomas, that he believes they have one of the best lineups in baseball!

HEY JP, YOU NEED SOME ARMS MAN, NOT BATS!

Halladay won 16 games last year but got tired when he was always being leaned on to go 9 innings and be perfect and bust slumps. He'll be healthy and rejuvinated this season. Burnett, for all his disaster early in the year, won 10 games, and seeing how he was out for half the season, he was on pace to win 20, which is what you pay him for. Gustavo Chacin was injured almost all the 2006 season, and Ted Lilly won 15 games. They stayed in contention till late August, finished second in the AL East, and that was with Josh Towers going 1-9, Casey Jannssen not doing much else, Shawn Marcum and Ty Taubenheim being rushed up and put in before they were ready. If they stay healthy and add a piece (or 2) like Schmidt, Wolf, and/or Mulder, and possibly re-sign Ted Lilly, they're in great shape; they'll have a better staff than anyone in the division.

Halladay

Burnett

Schmidt

Lilly

Mulder/Wolf

well thomas is signed... i really think this is stupid... the jays have holes they arent even looking at...

the liseup so far...

1. Reed Johnson - LF

2. Alex Rios - RF

3. Vernon Wells - CF

4. Troy Gaus - 3B

5. Lyle Overbay -1B

6. Frank Thomas - DH

7. ?????? - C

8.Aaron Hill - 2B

9. ?????? - SS

as of now the Jays have no big league Catchers under contract... although TSN has reported that they have contacted Rod Baraja (sp?)... and who is available down the middle??... Hill can play either second or short... but he looked more confotable at 2nd... so the jays need to plug that hole because McDonald just isnt that guy

you think this deal is stupid? right buddy..the Jays were looking to fill that DH role. Last season having Hillenbrand,Catalantto in the DH spot...both of them combined were making 11.2M which is more then what Thomas is getting. The Jays now dont have to keep on switching players to play DH and has the right guy to play DH...the Jays are going to make some signings of pitchers in the GM meetings. Hill will be moved to SS from what JP is saying and there looking into signing Adam Kennedy to play Second.

the liseup so far...

1. Reed Johnson - LF

2. Alex Rios - RF

3. Vernon Wells - CF

4. Troy Gaus - 3B

5. Lyle Overbay -1B

6. Frank Thomas - DH

7. ?????? - C

8.Aaron Hill - 2B

9. ?????? - SS

you think this deal is stupid? right buddy..the Jays were looking to fill that DH role. Last season having Hillenbrand,Catalantto in the DH spot...both of them combined were making 11.2M which is more then what Thomas is getting. The Jays now dont have to keep on switching players to play DH and has the right guy to play DH...the Jays are going to make some signings of pitchers in the GM meetings. Hill will be moved to SS from what JP is saying and there looking into signing Adam Kennedy to play Second.

yes i think the deal is stupid... i think for that kind of price they should have been able to sign someone that could bring more than a big bat... they are already a very good hitting team... maybe they could have used that money to sign a better hitting SS... or a catcher that can hit... or even a DH that can also play the field... Thomas is cant bring anything to this team besides his bat... he has no glove and no speed... there are far more pressing issues to this team than another big bat... maybe they could have signed someone to get on base for their big bats... now there is a radical idea eh? maybe someone who can do more than hit the long ball... now they are stuck with his bloated contract for 2 or 3 years... this deal makes me sick... Ricardi has outright ignored the needs of this team and seems to think he can out hit the Yankees... the moron needs to learn you only need to outpitch them... and its not all that hard to do