The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cody1774

Favourite Nicknames

Moved so it can be about all sports.

Karl "The Mailman" Malone and "Phantom Joe" Malone have always been two of my favourites. Ed "Boxcar" Hospodar was another good one. Sports nicknames really aren't what they used to be.

I always liked the name "Oil Can" Boyd.  Not very flattering for a pitcher.

I find baseball tends to have the best nicknames.

They need something to liven things up. They have a lot more time to think about one, too. Heck, if you're a fielder you could think of a nickname for every single person in the crowd.

My favorite nickname is Espen Knutsen's.  He was known as Shampoo.  I'm not sure why.

Apparently, it's because his father was a hairstylist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Espen_Knutsen

It's Wikipedia, though, so believe at your own risk.

Satchel Paige another good one from the Negro Leagues.

Edouard "Newsy" Lalonde - NHL Hall of Famer worked summers in a newspaper plant

"Turk" Broda - Patch of skin under his neck allegedly looked like a turkey's wattle

Mike "Pinball" Clemons

Henry "Gizmo" Williams

'Russian Rocket', always liked that and 'the Finnish Flash'. Oh, and how has no one mentioned 'the great one'? i suppose 'the next one' is pretty good too.

'Russian Rocket', always liked that and 'the Finnish Flash'. Oh, and how has no one mentioned 'the great one'? i suppose 'the next one' is pretty good too.

The problem with "The Next One" is how often it is used. Eric Lindros had it for a while, now Sidney Crosby has it. I'm sure there were others in there, too.

Most ironic nickname......Stu "the Grim Reaper" Grimson.

I prefered to think of him as something along the lines of Stu "hit their fist with his chin" Grimson.

Karl "The Mailman" Malone

I have a funny story that somewhat relates. When I went to Salt Lake City for a North American All Star Hockey Tournament, the team decided to catch a Jazz game. Well some of the guys on the team didn't know/care about NBA, so they just decided to cheer for the visiting Kings. Malone ended up getting the Ball under the basket and attempt and easy lay up but missed, and just as the entire stadium went quiet, one of our players yells out, "the Mailman can't Deliver!" I couldn't believe the amount of people that turned their heads, all at the same time to see the idiot you just yelled that out. Needless to say we never saw the end of the game.

I like Elroy "Crazy Legs" Hirsch, "Sweetness" (Walter Payton), and absolutely hate, "He Hate Me" if you call it a nickname.

I've been waiting & waiting for someone to mention Noodles, but since no one else has, I will.

Noodles.

I was lookin for Noodles too..i think its a pretty awesome nickname..

and how bout "Shoeless" Joe Jackson

or "The Great Bambino" and all the others for Babe Ruth lol

I've been waiting & waiting for someone to mention Noodles, but since no one else has, I will.

Noodles.

I was lookin for Noodles too..i think its a pretty awesome nickname..

and how bout "Shoeless" Joe Jackson

or "The Great Bambino" and all the others for Babe Ruth lol

Babe Ruth actually is a nickname....