The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jays sign Ohka and V. Zambrano

Richardi has handled this offseason very well. He got that very dangerous 4th spot bat the Jays havn't had since Delagado left in Thomas to solidify the lineup and solidified the defence with Clayton. He wanted 2 stable starters and lost out, but instead went to deepen his rotation. So now instead of

Halliday

Burnett

Lilly/Meche

Chacin

Marcum

you get

Halliday

Burnett

Chachin

Ohka

Thompson/Marcum

All pitchers who have pitched well, at some point, at the major leagues and all leave the payroll open for next season. much deeper rotation that it was last year.

PS, its Thomson, no p.

Anyways, I really like this signing, hopefully one of the 5 or 6 pitchers work out as a #5

To be honest, I like this rotation better than one with Lilly and Meche....

Ricciardi ovepaid for 38-year old "Always Hurt" Thomas, he completely missed the boat on Gil Meche, and the Jays will feel the aftereffects of the AJ Burnett/BJ Ryan stupidity for years ($100 mil spent on two men: a guy who's never won more than 12 games in a year, and a guy who'll never get a chance to make 50 saves in a year with the starting pitching the Jays have...); he will then have the gall to complain at the end of the year about how the Jays can't compete with the financial power of the Yanks and Sox, and 3rd place is to be expected with what they're able to spend...all the while, Oakland and Minnesota have solid campaigns year after year...gimme a break.

This is an insignificant move by an annoying, whiny GM.

Ricciardi ovepaid for 38-year old "Always Hurt" Thomas, he completely missed the boat on Gil Meche, and the Jays will feel the aftereffects of the AJ Burnett/BJ Ryan stupidity for years ($100 mil spent on two men: a guy who's never won more than 12 games in a year, and a guy who'll never get a chance to make 50 saves in a year with the starting pitching the Jays have...); he will then have the gall to complain at the end of the year about how the Jays can't compete with the financial power of the Yanks and Sox, and 3rd place is to be expected with what they're able to spend...all the while, Oakland and Minnesota have solid campaigns year after year...gimme a break.

Jays came in 2nd place last season.

you do know why Oakland and Minnesota have solid campaigns year after year do you? They play in WEAKER divisions. If the Jays were in any other division last season..They would have a way better chance to be in First. Oakland and Minnesota would have no chance to be in first place if they played in the East division.

Yeah it was stupid to pay 55 mill for AJ Burnett, but he missed the boat on paying the same amount to a guy who has never been better than a .500 pitcher. No, no hitter, and his stuff is no where near as effective Yeah you really follow ur baseball eh. Ryan was arguably the best signing Riccardi made and was one of the best closers in baseball last season.

Oakland and Minnesota have it pretty easy when they arn't being out spent by about double.

Jays came in 2nd place last season.

you do know why Oakland and Minnesota have solid campaigns year after year do you? They play in WEAKER divisions. If the Jays were in any other division last season..They would have a way better chance to be in First. Oakland and Minnesota would have no chance to be in first place if they played in the East division.

No no no my friend...the AL Central has now sent the AL representative to the World Series in 2 consecutive seasons. The Twins, White Sox and Tigers now comprise the toughest division in baseball.

Oakland may play in a weaker division, granted. But to do what they do on a shoestring budget still takes a hell of a lot of moxie, and a hell of a lot of smarts. They are consistently one of the top teams in baseball, and always fare well on Eastern road trips, to the best of my knowledge.

Point is, Ricciardi can cry all he wants...he has failed to turn this franchise into an impact player, at an impasse in the history of the AL East where the balance of power is arguably shifting away from baseball's version of the "Old Firm." Both the Yanks and the Red Sox were primed to be overtaken last year, and the Jays still failed.

Yeah it was stupid to pay 55 mill for AJ Burnett, but he missed the boat on paying the same amount to a guy who has never been better than a .500 pitcher. No, no hitter, and his stuff is no where near as effective Yeah you really follow ur baseball eh. Ryan was arguably the best signing Riccardi made and was one of the best closers in baseball last season.

Oakland and Minnesota have it pretty easy when they arn't being out spent by about double.

MINNESOTA IS OUTSPENT DOUBLE!!! The Tigers spent upwards of $90 Million last year on payroll!!!! Illitch isn't paying in peanuts buddy, he bought himself a World Series contender. And Chicago ain't a small-market club either.

And Ryan could be exponentially better IF HE HAD SOME STARTING PITCHING. The Doc alone will set BJ up for a good 18 saves, but after that...oy vey. Every year, the Jays' biggest issue is starting rotation, and every year, it seems as if it just doesn't get any better.

BTW, Meche has better stuff than Lilly, and he could've been had for cheaper. Yet, your needs are dictated by the market. Toronto's needs are quite obvious: starting pitching. You go out and rush the market to get the best possible pickup for your club. This year, it was Meche, not Frank Thomas. In an order already meaty with Wells, Glaus and Overbay, wouldn't it be logical to spend $10 mils somewhere more useful?

I'll be the first to eat my crow pie if a 38-year old Thomas actually makes an impact. Hell, he was one of my favourite players growing up as a kid with strong Chicago sports ties. However, I don't think it was a smart decision at all by Ricciardi.

You guys harp on JFJ...Ricciardi is 10x more annoying, with a million fold the excuses that JFJ has. I get sick of it after a while. This team is spending more than the A's and Twins, but I wouldn't say that if it came down to a best-of-7 against either of those teams, they'd have the ability to beat them. For close to $80 mil, this product should be better. It's not.

What you guys don't realize is that When Okha was in arbitration last season he used Ted Lilly as the comparible guy in the league to him.

He's pretty much the same as Lilly Stat wise.

AJ Burnett was expensive last year, but if he was a free agent this year he would've got 15 a year or more not 11.

Thomas gives the Jays the best offense in our division 1 thru 7 and they should put up some pretty damn good numbers.

Plus the have Taubenheim, Marcum, Thomson, Jansen, Towers, and several other prospects who can challenge for the fifth spot.

They should have a good enough rotation to get them to the playoffs. Perhaps they should get a good reliever or two, but beyond that they are good.

MINNESOTA IS OUTSPENT DOUBLE!!! The Tigers spent upwards of $90 Million last year on payroll!!!! Illitch isn't paying in peanuts buddy, he bought himself a World Series contender. And Chicago ain't a small-market club either.

And Ryan could be exponentially better IF HE HAD SOME STARTING PITCHING. The Doc alone will set BJ up for a good 18 saves, but after that...oy vey. Every year, the Jays' biggest issue is starting rotation, and every year, it seems as if it just doesn't get any better.

BTW, Meche has better stuff than Lilly, and he could've been had for cheaper. Yet, your needs are dictated by the market. Toronto's needs are quite obvious: starting pitching. You go out and rush the market to get the best possible pickup for your club. This year, it was Meche, not Frank Thomas. In an order already meaty with Wells, Glaus and Overbay, wouldn't it be logical to spend $10 mils somewhere more useful?

I'll be the first to eat my crow pie if a 38-year old Thomas actually makes an impact. Hell, he was one of my favourite players growing up as a kid with strong Chicago sports ties. However, I don't think it was a smart decision at all by Ricciardi.

You guys harp on JFJ...Ricciardi is 10x more annoying, with a million fold the excuses that JFJ has. I get sick of it after a while. This team is spending more than the A's and Twins, but I wouldn't say that if it came down to a best-of-7 against either of those teams, they'd have the ability to beat them. For close to $80 mil, this product should be better. It's not.

your ignoring the fact that Meche took an absolutly inflated deal to play for more money rather than win. The jays had an offer and Meche took more money to play in KC and a longer term. Meche is not worth 11mill a season and deson't have the consistancy /stuff to warrant a 5 year deal. Letting meche go for the money was smart on JPs part.

Thomas was a top 5 finaliest for the AL MVP and has the best bat in the Blue Jay lineup, not seen since Delgado left.

Last year, i agreed that their product was not as good as their salaries, this year i don't. This is a very godo blue jay team and a very underated starting rotation.