The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CFL not pleasing

I don't really know much what the CFL can do. Its a philosophy of pfrofessional sports, Defence wins championships. IMO that started in the NFL and now is tracing its way down to the CFL. There are more and more football minds in the games that are designing better defences. Cover 2 or Tampa 2 defences are relativly new and have found their way into the CFL. TEams would rather take away the deep (and exciting ball) in favor of limiting teams to field goals or hoping for turnovers. In response to that offences are more likely to do hitches and outs than posts, or even run the ball.

I still find the majoirty of CFL regular seaon games exciting but the playoffs, the ds definetly tighten up. I don't really know what they can do. Its a philosphy and how do you stop a philosophy?

I wouldn't say there is anymore or any less player movement in the league than any other.

You can't lessen the number of games. The CFL doesn;t generate alot of revenue as it is, to lose attendance for 6 less games per team could possibly sink the league all together.

I don't like the idea fo the top 2 teams making the playoffs only. Playoff games are the most exciting, you said it yourself. So why would we want to take away 2 of the best games all year?

Part of the excitment in the least two minutes is the fact tha there is not alot of time to work with, and thus makning it more hectic and rushed. Therefore more exciting.

I like the league the way it is, and I don;t want to make rules that make it more like the NFL.

GO LIONS GO!!!

CFL sucks.

Unfortunately, I concur.

Like most things Canadian, with the exception of Hockey, they just don't do it as well as anybody else (RE: America).

CFL sucks.

Unfortunately, I concur.

Like most things Canadian, with the exception of Hockey, they just don't do it as well as anybody else (RE: America).

Atleast you gave some substance/reason with your post. Thank you.

CFL sucks.

Unfortunately, I concur.

Atleast you gave some substance/reason with your post. Thank you.

If Canadian football was played in the NFL with their athletes, it would be, well, even better than the NFL currently is. But since you state that other than hockey, we don't do it as well as America, whay don't we have a look at what America is allegedly 'better at' that us.

1- Wars- I know we're ******** in Afghanistan and all, but it's nowhere near the quagmire and terrorist breeding ground America created in Iraq.

2- Civil Rights (I.e. rainbow marriage)- What do you expect when you've got a man who's 'being led by God' at the helm? Stupid, straightforward issues that without some religious zealot at the helm would have no problem being legistlated.

3- Education- When I have to place an order in the U.S. at work, and they ask where I am, and the response is "Calgary", I always get either "Calgary, Atlanta?" or some stupid igloo joke. Morons...

4- Health care- In Canada, it's free to get a treatment for anything. If you break your arm in the states, you may as well just go to a prison shower without your soap-on-a-rope.

Come on, people, you can add to this!

Some random thoughts for improving the CFL:

1- Better stadiums with grass fields. I know it's expensive and unrealistic but it would really improve the quality and atmosphere of the games both live and on TV.

2- Better and more rigorous training for officials. Some of these guys are complete clowns. Some are good. The NFL/NHL/MLB/NBA clown to okay ratio is much lower I believe.

3- Put a muzzle on every owner.

4- Only hire TV personalities and commentators that:

-----a) know what they're talking about

-----B) don't have voices like Kurdish yodellers

-----c) pay attention the the game

-----Unfortunately, most of ^those guys are probably working in the US now.

5- Enforce the salary cap.

6- Don't hire a commissioner and expect him to be a lame duck and a 'Yes'-man.

7- Revenue sharing, ala NFL.

8- Change the schedule so that the season starts in Spring and ends in Fall. For those that like cold, snowy football conditions you'll still have them. Just not quite as cold and snowy. Yes, they will be competing with the NHL playoffs but it's easier to attract people to games when the weather is nice.

9- Force the networks to purchase equipment (camera's, etc.) from somewhere other than the Radio Shack in an outlet mall.

10- Have a regular schedule. For instance, have football every Friday night or Saturday afternoon rather than every frickin' day of the week. It makes it easier for the fans to plan to attend a game and makes the schedule more fair to all teams.

11- Reduce the number of games. Play every team twice- home and away.

12- No more local TV blackouts.

13- More rigourous screening for the cheerleaders and skimpier outfits... :oops: Also, no male cheerleaders allowed.

14- No more ridiculous group celebrations. The average Canadian can not relate to this.

Realistic? No.

I like those ideas ...

BTW Don, you realise that SportsNetNews is outdated....

Not outdated, vintage.

Not vintage, just better than orange swirly crap they've got passing for a sportscast now. I mean, the 'net's trade deadline coverage, it looked like everyone had just had a sleepover at the studio and when they went on, nobody bothered to do their hair, clean up the pizza boxes, or put the sleeping bags away. TSN goes to a high-tech, sophisticated, PROFESSIONAL sportscast, so what does Rogers do? Makes the anchors stand up, wear unbuttoned jackets and jeans, and makes everything orange. Off topic I know, but I just wanted to let it be known how much I HATE "CONNECTED"! waste of space, it and Jeff Friesen should be very happy together...grr.... meh.

Add a few more teams... but then talent pool goes way way way way down. Interesting that there are so few good Qb's out there.

Not necessarily, BC has 3 good ones, they rest of the league has maybe 3 combined.

14- No more ridiculous group celebrations. The average Canadian can not relate to this

bu....but....I like the ridiculous celebrations :blush:

Unfortunately, I concur.

Ya, I don't have much of that interest anymore in it. And I'm a big football fan. I'm a big NFL fan, but pretty casual with CFL.

Not necessarily, BC has 3 good ones, they rest of the league has maybe 3 combined.

So many of the "good" ones are prototypical CFLers though. Callvio is a great quarterback, but doesn't bring anything to the position. The CFL needs to find more exciting from a QB position if they want to appear more entertaining. Guys lik Flutie, Garcia, Printers, Dickenson in his prime, could all ad lib. Mostly because I think CFL offences are a little more complex these days, but it hink more talent at the QB position would really help the league.

dude i'm am a bigger lions fan then nucks fan. i get into cfl when its on more then i do nhl. i love hockey to watch, but canadian football is my sport to watch and play. (i cant skate :( )

I don't really know much what the CFL can do. Its a philosophy of pfrofessional sports, Defence wins championships. IMO that started in the NFL and now is tracing its way down to the CFL. There are more and more football minds in the games that are designing better defences. Cover 2 or Tampa 2 defences are relativly new and have found their way into the CFL. TEams would rather take away the deep (and exciting ball) in favor of limiting teams to field goals or hoping for turnovers. In response to that offences are more likely to do hitches and outs than posts, or even run the ball.

I still find the majoirty of CFL regular seaon games exciting but the playoffs, the ds definetly tighten up. I don't really know what they can do. Its a philosphy and how do you stop a philosophy?

example: B.C Lions last year. great defense to win the grey cup... but an explosive offense to keep the best record in the CFL for the 2nd straight year.

GEEEEEEROY!