The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NASCAR

I used to be a pretty big fan of Rusty Wallace, but lost some interest in it when he retired. Still watch it when I can though.

I think I'm not so into NASCAR at all. Like none. Going around in a circle 500 times?! I don't like repetition, so doing something over and over for that long isn't exactly appealing to me. I know there are lead changes and pit stops and other small things, but a giant oval is boring. I also think people who watch NASCAR just for the crashes are lame.

Racing as a sport isn't very exciting to me unless I'm playing. I do respect the endurance, devotion and skill/talent level required for racing though. I have even more respect for Rally racers doing super fast drifts on skinny dirt roads over cliffs and around ditches. I also think that races with numerous turns are much more exciting and challenging. The drivers have to memorize the tracks and there are a lot more options for lead changing moves.

I just don't see what the appeal for NASCAR is over all of the other types of racing out there.

I watch a fair amount of it. My hunnie loves watching Nascar and his favorite driver is Dale Earnhardt Jr. Unfortunately, Jr isn't doing so well thus far, although I think he finished 12th? this past weekend. Much better than coming in 40th or thereabouts as he did the day he was taken out by an accident with another car.

I used to be such a huge CART fan. especially when Greg Moore (RIP) was around. Bastard IRL stole all of our good drivers.

I think I'm not so into NASCAR at all. Like none. Going around in a circle 500 times?!  

I also think that races with numerous turns are much more exciting and challenging. .  

Technically they only race 500 laps at 2 tracks, Bristol and Martinsville, and thats because they are 1/2 a mile, very short laps, (Bristol avg 15 seconds, Martinsville 19) but I do see your point..

some races can be very boring..but it is actually the tracks where they do race 500 laps I as well as a lot of other fans find the most interesting!!

As for an oval all the time..while most are..some are not and oval.

We've all seen:

443_443_indianapolismotorspeedway_r.gif

Pocono is more of a triangle..

PoconoRaceway_ALL.gif

And theres the Oh So popular road races :roll: :roll:

WatkinsGlenSpwy_racetrack.gif

InfineonRaceway_all.gif

While these have more turns..they are almost always incredibly boring races IMO..never any good action in them, I prefer short tracks..with the exception of Talladega and Daytona..but even Daytona is kind of boring..i watch just because it's the Daytona 500 lol, don't usually watch Pepsi 400.

(Btw, I wasn't trying to be rude with the pics or anything, just show something you may not know, hope you don't get the wrong idea)

O yea and..Ryan Newman rules!! (ok so he's not that great..but hey gotta stick with the fav, no bandwagoning here..although I like Denny Hamlin a lot too!

long tracks .. short ones ... I don't mind either one if the race is, as was mentioned, a good one. A lot of times the race goes on and on and I almost lose track of where I am ... Unless it's a race like Daytona was. That was an awesome finish this year :shock: :shock:

long tracks .. short ones ... I don't mind either one if the race is, as was mentioned, a good one.  A lot of times the race goes on and on and I almost lose track of where I am ... Unless it's a race like Daytona was.  That was an awesome finish this year :shock:  :shock:

Yes it was..everyone was like Martin Martin cmon Martin..Harvick?! :shock: where the heck did he come from?!?!

This past Busch finish was very exciting as well..Martin and Kyle Busch..Busch took off on him but somehow Martin made up what must have been at least 10 car lengths in the final few laps including about 5 in the last lap in time to pass him for the win..with a little wreck to finish it.

Some great finishes so far..I hope it's a sign of things to come!

omg I was sitting here watching and thinking "woohoo Martin!! Come on baby you have earned this one and waited sooo long :D:D " and then I saw the ending and all I could think was ACK!! nooooooo :evil: :evil: ... and of course what is better for a Nascar race than a car skidding over the finish line on it's roof? That was classic, completely.

Right now i'm just waiting to see how the new car works on longer tracks instead of the short tracks.

The other thing I'm interested in seeing is how Jeff Gordon treats Jimmie Johnson after the crap Jimmie pulled at Martinsville.

Also having a good laugh at poor, poor Micheal Waltrip. He's still yet to actually qualify for a race. lol. Hopefully they can figure something out to get all of the Toyota cars into some races and make them competative.

Right now i'm just waiting to see how the new car works on longer tracks instead of the short tracks.

The other thing I'm interested in seeing is how Jeff Gordon treats Jimmie Johnson after the crap Jimmie pulled at Martinsville.

Also having a good laugh at poor, poor Micheal Waltrip. He's still yet to actually qualify for a race. lol. Hopefully they can figure something out to get all of the Toyota cars into some races and make them competative.

I am also curious to see how those hideous things will do on a long track, but what are you talking about crap Jimmie Johnson pulled at Martinsville?? Now I hate both Jimmie and Gordon, so I'm not playing favourites here, but if your leading a race and on the last lap or 2 (or 5 at Martinsville lol) and someone is trying to pass you, you block them. Simple as that, you are trying to win a race, you don't say oh, he's faster, I guess I'll let him pass me. Doesn't work that way, Johnson blocked Gordon effectively and won the race. Gordon tried moving Johnson up the track and Johnson stood strong, so you cannot say that Johnson pulled any type of crap, he was leading, being pressured, and did what he could to stay in front. That is called racing.

I am also curious to see how those hideous things will do on a long track, but what are you talking about crap Jimmie Johnson pulled at Martinsville?? Now I hate both Jimmie and Gordon, so I'm not playing favourites here, but if your leading a race and on the last lap or 2 (or 5 at Martinsville lol) and someone is trying to pass you, you block them. Simple as that, you are trying to win a race, you don't say oh, he's faster, I guess I'll let him pass me. Doesn't work that way, Johnson blocked Gordon effectively and won the race. Gordon tried moving Johnson up the track and Johnson stood strong, so you cannot say that Johnson pulled any type of crap, he was leading, being pressured, and did what he could to stay in front. That is called racing.

I'm not a fan of Jimmie or J. Gordon either, personally I can't stand them, but Jimmie didn't block Gordon for the last few laps, it was for the last 50 laps. It was only in the last few laps that Gordon tried to move him out of the way. There was alot of tension within the team and I'm curious as to how it's going to affect the team throughout the season when to consider the fact the Johnson's car set-up was given to him by Gordon before the race.