The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rosalie52

The Bluejays Nation

Well it was a good series..

I considered this the world series since the winner between these 2 teams would go on to take the championship.

Congrats to the rays for having the leagues lowest payroll yet winning it all.

E.Lo is a beast.

They probably will win it all, given that Philly only has one good pitcher (Hamels). The rest will get hit hard by Tampa's offense.

I think in the off season that Tampa will find it hard to keep some players. They have proven to the league that they can really perform. But I just read on www.tsn.ca that Manny and Dempster (many more popular players) are testing the Free agent market.

As expected, AJ Burnett is opting out but isn't ruling out the possibility of resigning in Toronto.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/2008/11/04/burnett_out/''>http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/2008/11/04/burnett_out/' target="_blank">http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/2008/11/04/burnett_out/[/post]

I still think this is a plus for the Jays. It hurts next year becuase of the injuries, but I think AJ is just anohter pitcher in the long line of pitchers that threw well in a contract year. Ted Lilly did the same thing for the Jays. All of a sudden he was healthy and pitching every game. I think throwing tons of money at him isn't worth it. They could get a depth pitcher, Dempster, Lowe type, save about 7 mill or so and throw it towards a bat and deepend their team.

I still think this is a plus for the Jays. It hurts next year becuase of the injuries, but I think AJ is just anohter pitcher in the long line of pitchers that threw well in a contract year. Ted Lilly did the same thing for the Jays. All of a sudden he was healthy and pitching every game. I think throwing tons of money at him isn't worth it. They could get a depth pitcher, Dempster, Lowe type, save about 7 mill or so and throw it towards a bat and deepend their team.

According to TSN, the Jays talked to the likes of Dempster, Lowe, and possibly even Sheets.

http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/story/?id=255074&lid=headline&lpos=secStory_mlb' target="_blank">http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/story/?id=255074&amp...os=secStory_mlb[/post]

According to TSN, the Jays talked to the likes of Dempster, Lowe, and possibly even Sheets.

http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/story/?id=255074&lid=headline&lpos=secStory_mlb' target="_blank">http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/story/?id=255074&amp...os=secStory_mlb[/post]

I think thats the right move.

I just have the huge feeling that you'll see the oft injured, overpaid Burnett next season regradless of where he pitches. Hes been that way throughout his career. I would have tollerated him at his current salary but not an increase.

I like the idea of Dempster, canadian kid. either way spend about 9-10 mill on a starter maybe 3-4 mill on a SS and about 7-8 mill on a bat and i think the jays are in better shape than keeping burnett.

With Burnett and Sheets you're weighing risk and reward. Both are much better pitchers than Dempster or Lowe, but they're often injured. After the season Burnett had with Cito, I'm sure Riccardi is going to throw their best offer at Burnett but it probably wont be enough and will fall back on a Dempster or Lowe.

I stand by the fact that the Jays would probably do better with a mediocre starting pitcher and a power hitter than a high profile better starting pitcher and a mediocre power hitter.

With Burnett and Sheets you're weighing risk and reward. Both are much better pitchers than Dempster or Lowe, but they're often injured. After the season Burnett had with Cito, I'm sure Riccardi is going to throw their best offer at Burnett but it probably wont be enough and will fall back on a Dempster or Lowe.

I stand by the fact that the Jays would probably do better with a mediocre starting pitcher and a power hitter than a high profile better starting pitcher and a mediocre power hitter.

I'd only take sheets on some sort of incentive deal. Because i don't see that happening as he has some of the better stuff on the market I think the Jays are out. With marcum likely out for most if not all the year, and Mcgowan not healthy they don't have the depth to sustain a pictcher being hurt like Sheets may be. I completely agree about your thought though. I think if they upgrade their offence, they have enough pitching with Halladay, Litchs, Jansen, Ricmond, purcey, and a depth FA to win games until Mcgowan gets back. You need power to win in the AL East. No suprise that the TB Rays became the best team in the East when they got more power in Pena.

Reading through rumos/and the Jays boards there is lots of interesting scenarios. It seems the Jays are still considered a top 3 frontrunner for Manny. I'm suprised as I don't think they can make it work unless they delt Wells or both overbay and Ryan. Overbay I think could easily be traded and probably even for some depth at SP and apparantly they are shopping him hard.

also Javier Vasquez is on the trading block with the Jays as potential suitors. Now he looked bad down the stretch, but has been amazingly consistant for the last 3 or 4 seasons. For the right deal they could get him,a power bat in a Giambi or Bradley, and still even a Furcal at SS and still be under the budget for the season provided Furcall doesn't cost more than about 7 or 8 mill.

So Tim Lincecum has been the NL Cy Young award winner.. Imagine if the Giants bit on the Rios for Lincecum trade <drools>

Reading through rumos/and the Jays boards there is lots of interesting scenarios. It seems the Jays are still considered a top 3 frontrunner for Manny. I'm suprised as I don't think they can make it work unless they delt Wells or both overbay and Ryan. Overbay I think could easily be traded and probably even for some depth at SP and apparantly they are shopping him hard.

Though signing a guy like Manny would probably be the best thing to happen to the Jays since winning the WS, I doubt it's going to happen. Unless Rogers gives them the green light to throw whatever kind of money it takes to pick him up, the Jays simply can't afford the 5 year 150-175 million dollar contract. But stranger things have happened so all we can do is pray. :)

It's looking like the Jays aren't going to be able to get a whole lot this off season.. JP put down the rumour of Manny (http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/2008/11/20/ricciardi_ramirez_manny/), It's looking like the Yankees are going to offer AJ a 6 year 80 million dollar contract, which is out of the Jay's price range, and it sounds like both Boston and the NYY are going to bid hard Teixeira..

Although, talking about most of those guys was dreaming to start with..

These are some of the pitchers that I wouldn't mind seeing in a Blue Jays Uniform:

Mark Prior

Brad Penny

Ben Sheets if you could get him at a bargan then that wouldn't be a bad signing.. Though Sheets will probably be a lot of teams back up plans when Lowe, Sabathia, and Burnett all sign with the Yankees.

Oliver Perez

Hitters:

A lot of these are probably wishful thinking though

Furcal

Cabrera

Burrell

Ibenez

Though, if the Jays really want to improve I think the best way to go would be to dangle BJ Ryan (if anyone will take him) or maybe a guy like downs and see what teams would be willing to give up.

Apparantly Javier Vazquez is on the market. He could be a great option should the jays lose out on a starter. Dangle Overbay or some prospects over there.

As far as a bat goes, I really believe they should sign Manny. Apparantly they won't and thats fine but its what I would do. Sign Manny, trade Overby and let Burnett go and you've got the same payroll you did last season. Add a depth pitcher and IMO your rocking.

As far as bats go, I agree that Furcall is a pipe dream. I would like Cabrerra but I don't think thats happening either.

Realistically, its looking look Ibanez or Bradley may be their only hope. Pitching wise.. it may be a year where they take a shot in the dark with something. I jsut don't see them getting anyone through FA. maybe Penny, but with so many teams needing starting pitching, guys like that are still gonna cost a premium.

Realistically, its looking look Ibanez or Bradley may be their only hope. Pitching wise.. it may be a year where they take a shot in the dark with something. I jsut don't see them getting anyone through FA. maybe Penny, but with so many teams needing starting pitching, guys like that are still gonna cost a premium.

The thing that scares me about Bradley is that apparently he has a bad temper... Riccardi seems to pick a fight with atleast one player every year so I'm not sure he'd be the ideal choice. Though, I wouldn't complain if we signed him either.

I've always liked Penny so that's why I put him on the list.. I figure the Jays aren't resigning Burnett and Penny probably isn't going to sign for the same amount as AJ so it seems like a logical choice. Penny is probably the safer of the two choices, anyways.

The thing that scares me about Bradley is that apparently he has a bad temper... Riccardi seems to pick a fight with atleast one player every year so I'm not sure he'd be the ideal choice. Though, I wouldn't complain if we signed him either.

I've always liked Penny so that's why I put him on the list.. I figure the Jays aren't resigning Burnett and Penny probably isn't going to sign for the same amount as AJ so it seems like a logical choice. Penny is probably the safer of the two choices, anyways.

I agree. I personally don't think I would sign Bradley. However, they need a bat and he is probably their best option for performance and price. I would prefer someone else though.

Penny you may even get on an incentive based becasue of injury troubles, or at the very least a lesser salary than maybe he would normally get. Penny doens't quite have the stuff of a Burnett, but at least he isn't as injury prone and as up and down.

Jon Garland's a guy I wouldn't mind seeing either althought his price tag would likely be much higher.

If Toronto is unable to re-sign Burnett in the coming weeks, Ricciardi has indicated that it's unlikely that the Blue Jays will try to replace the pitcher through another free-agent signing. It's more likely that Toronto would explore the trade market, or simply attempt to fill the rotation hole internally.

"I don't see us going that way," Ricciardi told MLB.com Tuesday night. "I don't think there's anybody else out there that, for what you'd probably have to get involved with from a money standpoint, that we would feel comfortable getting involved with. I think we'd probably stay in-house."

http://toronto.bluejays.mlb.com/news/artic...sp&c_id=tor

Now.. If they don't sign AJ, use that money and the money you had on Frank Thomas to go out and sign Manny! :ph34r::wub:

I could see the Blue Jays rolling the dice on a guy like Giambi as a left power-hitting DH to protect Wells. Could be a nice fit, although as somebody who doesn't like the Blue Jays, I don't care one way or the other if they do wind up signing him.

http://toronto.bluejays.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081121&content_id=3687533&vkey=news_tor&fext=.jsp&c_id=tor' target="_blank">http://toronto.bluejays.mlb.com/news/artic...sp&c_id=tor[/post]

Now.. If they don't sign AJ, use that money and the money you had on Frank Thomas to go out and sign Manny! :ph34r::wub:

Agree 100%

Jay Onrait actualy wrote a great blog that showed how smart it is to sign Manny. Manny gives you instatnt crediability, more fans in the seats, more attention, more jersey sales, and with the money they have free it would actually have a minimal effect on their payroll.

Sign Manny, try to trade for a pitcher, using Overbay and even Ryan if you have to, and I think you have a lineup that can legitimately contend in the AL East. I use to think it was a dump idea, but the more you think about it, its actually a very smart idea even if it costs you around 25 mill a year.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/2008/11/2...on_blowup_jays/

Can't say I agree with most of that.. The Jays would have been in there down the stretch if it wasn't for Mr. Gibbons. When Gaston came in, the starting rotation was often faced with injuries from Marcum and McGowan and inconsistencies from Marcum and Litch. With the same bullpin and the addition of Aaron Hill, I think the team will do a lot better in 2009.

(Though, it sure would be nice with Man-Ram)

I had an interesting chat with Scott Richmond about a month ago when filming an interview. I was amazed at how beat up pro pitchers get. He said they all have hip/back/knee/arm problems by the end of the season. I always thought pitchers had it easy, other than the mental stress.

Im starting to agree.

Jeff Blair, who i think is the best Blue Jays beat writer, has a great article in the globe yesterday about the jays. Jeff Blair on the Jays

Basically, he said because they have so little hope of getting good FAs this year, why go into another medieocre year only to try and get better next offseason(which isn't guaranteed) and have Halladay likely leave anyway because he'll be a FA that next offseason.

I'm starting to believe the Jays need the Rays approach. Load up with good young players and ship out some contracts. I don't think they'll ever finished any higher than 3rd as it stand right now. The Rays are better and look better for the next few seasons, same for the Red Sox. Yankees, if they get their pitching will be good, if not the Jays risk becoming the 4th team in the AL.

Blow it up, shed some payroll and build around your youth you've got locked up here. Let Snider, Lind, Hill Romero, Richmond, Purcey, Jansen, Acardo etc all play next year and try and bring in some good young players to back them up. Get rid of Rolen, Overbay, Ryan, and maybe even a Well, Halladay etc if you have to.

That sucks.

My perfect plan is now gone. I was really hoping (not realistically I might add) that they would sign manny and then trade for Vaquez and that would be it........

oh well.

That sucks.

My perfect plan is now gone. I was really hoping (not realistically I might add) that they would sign manny and then trade for Vaquez and that would be it........

oh well.

You can always dream, right?

It scares me to think what Uncle Ted's replacement is going to do with the Jay's payroll.. Hopefully that person will love baseball and let the Jays sign whomever they like... That's probably dreaming though.

I was suprised to learn that Ted Rogers wasn't a sports fan at all and didn't even go to one Jays' game last season.. He bought the team so it wouldn't go the way of the Expos. Man, do I ever respect that guy.