The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rosalie52

The Bluejays Nation

The Burnett to Yankees deal is official (pending a physical). This is what I really hate about baseball. the rich teams can buy the best players with no implications. That's why its nice to see teams like the Rays do well, as much as I dislike them being a Jays fan and all.

Gets tougher every year to get into baseball. I mean when you can spend that kinda money without thinking twice you just lose me. What they just spent on Burnett and Sabathia is more than any team (except them) in baseball spends on an entire team in a season. Their combined yearly salaries are almost as much as the entire Rays team. Just stupid. Baseball needs a cap but unfortuanately will never get one.

But its to me the final dager for the Jays. They need to blow everything up and rebuild. Trade everyone you can and get the best young players you can and try an dpull a Rays. They arn't going to win any FA battles and if they continue with status quo, hello mediocrity for the next few seaons. Better blow it up now and then try and make use of the downturn in the economy and get some bargain FA in the next few years.

Gets tougher every year to get into baseball. I mean when you can spend that kinda money without thinking twice you just lose me. What they just spent on Burnett and Sabathia is more than any team (except them) in baseball spends on an entire team in a season. Their combined yearly salaries are almost as much as the entire Rays team. Just stupid. Baseball needs a cap but unfortuanately will never get one.

But its to me the final dager for the Jays. They need to blow everything up and rebuild. Trade everyone you can and get the best young players you can and try an dpull a Rays. They arn't going to win any FA battles and if they continue with status quo, hello mediocrity for the next few seaons. Better blow it up now and then try and make use of the downturn in the economy and get some bargain FA in the next few years.

BUT THAT WOULD MEAN COMPLETE RIOT(If Possible) IN THE CITY OF TORONTO?

Rebuilding Teams:

The Maple Leafs(National Hockey League)

The Argonauts(Canadian Football League)

The Blue Jays(Major League Baseball)

The Raptors(National Basketball Assosciation)

Contenders:

The Marlies(American Hockey League)

Oh my god, that City is screwed now XD!

BUT THAT WOULD MEAN COMPLETE RIOT(If Possible) IN THE CITY OF TORONTO?

Rebuilding Teams:

The Maple Leafs(National Hockey League)

The Argonauts(Canadian Football League)

The Blue Jays(Major League Baseball)

The Raptors(National Basketball Assosciation)

Contenders:

The Marlies(American Hockey League)

Oh my god, that City is screwed now XD!

I know your being sarcastic and I see that, but the Raps are not rebuilding and there sint' really "rebuilding" in the CFL. The rest, yah I see where you are going.

The Jays don't exactly do great in terms of "walk up" or casual fans anyway. Most of them are big time supporters so I don't really think a rebuild would affect them that much. If anything it helps becuase finally you don't have a team in limbo year after year.

Mark Teixeira has signed with the Yankees for 8 years and 180 million. http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/story/?id=260722&lid=headline&lpos=topStory_main' target="_blank">http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/story/?id=260722&amp...s=topStory_main[/post]

Give me a break.. Three of the top four Free agents have signed with the Yankees so far and the other one(Man Ram) could possibly sign with New York too.

looks like Steinbrenner is tired of not winning, he's got the greatest line up in the MLB now with the likes of A-rod, Posada, Jeter, Sabathia, Cano, Teixeira all playing the infield. WOW!!!

Edit: I now realize I-rod isn't playing for them anymore i dont think

looks like Steinbrenner is tired of not winning, he's got the greatest line up in the MLB now with the likes of A-rod, Posada, Jeter, Sabathia, Cano, Teixeira all playing the infield. WOW!!!

Edit: I now realize I-rod isn't playing for them anymore i dont think

They may not have Pudge anymore but I'd settle for Jorge Posada.

Mark Teixeira has signed with the Yankees for 8 years and 180 million. http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/story/?id=260722&lid=headline&lpos=topStory_main' target="_blank">http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/story/?id=260722&amp...s=topStory_main[/post]

Give me a break.. Three of the top four Free agents have signed with the Yankees so far and the other one(Man Ram) could possibly sign with New York too.

Its ridiculous and has totally killed my interest in baseball next season.

i can't respect Baeball until they get a cap or at least a real tax system. I mean come on they spend all this and their only penalty is 23 millio in taxes? Theres a big deterrant.

MLB is the worst run league out of all of them, by far IMO. they only reason Selig hasn't been fired is becuase they all have 50 thousand plus stadiums and fill enough of them to have revnue sharing. Their structure and payroll are just ridiculous. They just have enough teams at the top the get by. I'm realling hoping this ecnomoic situation hits them hard so they have to re work their deal. Like Selig can't seriously sit there and think its good for the game to see the Yankess jsut signed 3 players whose contract per year is more than about a quarter of th eleague spends on payroll.

Griffey Jr. just signed a 1 year deal with Seattle. It will be cool to see him back in a Mariners uni! I wish it was Griffey that everyone was talking about being the home run king of baseball. Mind you I wouldn't be completely shocked to hear that he was juiced up at some point in his career as well.

The Jays earned a walk off victory vs the USA. I was expecting they would be blown out after the loss to Canada. Anything can happen I guess.

Do you have a prediction as to what the Jays' opening day lineup/rotation may look like?

Oh jeez.. that one is a tough one to predict.

For the easy part,

C- Rod Barajas

1B- Lyle Overbay

2B- Aaron Hill

3B- Scott Rolen

SS- Marco Scuturo

LF- Travis Snider/Adam Lind but Travis getting the majority of the starts

CF-Vernon Wells

RF-Alex Rios

DH-Adam Lind/Travis Snider - again, Lind getting the majority of the starts here

Here's where it gets difficult..

Roy Halladay

Jesse Litch

Scott Richmond

Casey Janssen

And I'll give the toss up to Clement

Obviously you slot Dustin McGowan once he's back from injury, but that wont be for a few months yet.

Oh jeez.. that one is a tough one to predict.

For the easy part,

C- Rod Barajas

1B- Lyle Overbay

2B- Aaron Hill

3B- Scott Rolen

SS- Marco Scuturo

LF- Travis Snider/Adam Lind but Travis getting the majority of the starts

CF-Vernon Wells

RF-Alex Rios

DH-Adam Lind/Travis Snider - again, Lind getting the majority of the starts here

Here's where it gets difficult..

Roy Halladay

Jesse Litch

Scott Richmond

Casey Janssen

And I'll give the toss up to Clement

Obviously you slot Dustin McGowan once he's back from injury, but that wont be for a few months yet.

I would have to agree, althought I think they have Purcey as their 3 guy right now and I think he's pitched well enough to stay there. I thin the lineup is virtually spoken for and all that really remains to be seen is who plays more in left Snider or Lind. right now i'd go with Snider becuase I think he's better defensivly but that'l play out.

I thought Cecil would be in the mix for the last few spots but I see they just send him down so it doens't look like it.

I'd put it:

Halladay

Litsch

Purcey

Toss up between: Richmond, Clement, Jansen.

I think Richmond will be one of the two, and i'll give the edge to Jansen just becuase the club is so high on him. I think Clement just goes as depth for now.

I would have to agree, althought I think they have Purcey as their 3 guy right now and I think he's pitched well enough to stay there. I thin the lineup is virtually spoken for and all that really remains to be seen is who plays more in left Snider or Lind. right now i'd go with Snider becuase I think he's better defensivly but that'l play out.

I thought Cecil would be in the mix for the last few spots but I see they just send him down so it doens't look like it.

I'd put it:

Halladay

Litsch

Purcey

Toss up between: Richmond, Clement, Jansen.

I think Richmond will be one of the two, and i'll give the edge to Jansen just becuase the club is so high on him. I think Clement just goes as depth for now.

Completely agree. I totally forgot Purcey all together. After all is spoken for, there will probably several different pitchers in the 4th and 5th hole atleast. Hopefully there will be a suprise or two and someone will show they can give the chance for the Jays to win on a consistant basis.

Completely agree. I totally forgot Purcey all together. After all is spoken for, there will probably several different pitchers in the 4th and 5th hole atleast. Hopefully there will be a suprise or two and someone will show they can give the chance for the Jays to win on a consistant basis.

I know their already down in the minors, but i'm really hoping for a Cecil, Mills or Ricky Romero to step up and starting pitching lights out int he minor so they get the call. I really believe the only chance the Jays have is to have a repeat of what happened a few years ago, when Marcum, McGowan and Litsch all peaked at the same time. If they could have young arms like that peak again, then they could be competitive.

They also need either Snider to LInd to flirt with 25-30 hrs.

I know their already down in the minors, but i'm really hoping for a Cecil, Mills or Ricky Romero to step up and starting pitching lights out int he minor so they get the call. I really believe the only chance the Jays have is to have a repeat of what happened a few years ago, when Marcum, McGowan and Litsch all peaked at the same time. If they could have young arms like that peak again, then they could be competitive.

They also need either Snider to LInd to flirt with 25-30 hrs.

Looks like you were wrong. Spot four goes to Romero. http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/story/?id=273179''>http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/story/?id=273179' target="_blank">http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/story/?id=273179[/post]

It also says Mills and Richmond are vying for the last spot

So it's looking like

Halladay

Litch

Purcey

Romero

Richmond/Mills

Halladay

Litch

Purcey

Romero

Richmond/Mills

Halladay = 20 wins

Litch = 15 wind

Purcey = 10 wins

Romero = 10 wins

Richmond/Mills = 10 Wins

Where's the other 30-40 wins coming from?

Halladay = 20 wins

Litch = 15 wind

Purcey = 10 wins

Romero = 10 wins

Richmond/Mills = 10 Wins

Where's the other 30-40 wins coming from?

Nowhere....

Looks like you were wrong. Spot four goes to Romero. http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/story/?id=273179''>http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/story/?id=273179' target="_blank">http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/story/?id=273179[/post]

It also says Mills and Richmond are vying for the last spot

So it's looking like

Halladay

Litch

Purcey

Romero

Richmond/Mills

I've been mixing him, Mills, and Cecil up all spring training and can never remember whose up or down.

I'm happy for Romero becuae I'm still hoping he is going to realize his potential and be a top end lefty they've been lacking for so long. I still have high hopes for the guy so i'm happy he made the team.

Still not liking their chances though. The bullpen should be good for some wins though as i'm betting you'll see more action from them. Gaston has already said some of their strategy wither the depth style throwers will be just to manage the game for 5 or 6 to get to the bullpen. Clearly the strenght of their team this year.

Jays should trade B.J Ryan seriously 9.00 ERA in spring training. I don't think that's acceptable for a closer.

I was actually serious a couple posts back when I asked if he got his fastball speed up. Earlier in the Spring I heard he was down around 82 MPH. Last thing I've heard (yesterday) is that Scott Downs is likely to take over as closer. I don't believe Ryan has any trade value. I think he's done unless he finds away to resurrect his fastball.

I was actually serious a couple posts back when I asked if he got his fastball speed up. Earlier in the Spring I heard he was down around 82 MPH. Last thing I've heard (yesterday) is that Scott Downs is likely to take over as closer. I don't believe Ryan has any trade value. I think he's done unless he finds away to resurrect his fastball.

Agreed. I think if they could have unloaded him last offseason they would have. He's got a huge contract for a guy that really wasn't all that special last year.

Which is extremely troublesome, because the Jays can't afford to have him eating up 9 million of their payroll. I'm also not confident he can regain it. When people drop that much velocity on their fastball in this day and age, Steroids tend to be involved.