The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rosalie52

The Bluejays Nation

When people drop that much velocity on their fastball in this day and age, Steroids tend to be involved.

I never even thought about this possibility. I just thought that his arm was a noodle now. How come Accardo isn't being considered for the closer role? Why Downs? I also heard that Downs' fastball was down to 87 MPH or something like that. There may not be a whole lot of save opportunities this season, but it would still be nice to have a closer who can get it done.

I never even thought about this possibility. I just thought that his arm was a noodle now. How come Accardo isn't being considered for the closer role? Why Downs? I also heard that Downs' fastball was down to 87 MPH or something like that. There may not be a whole lot of save opportunities this season, but it would still be nice to have a closer who can get it done.

I think they have more confidence in Downs. Accardo has better stuff, IMO anyway, but Downs is almost money in the bank. He throws the same virtually every time they call on him. Same can't be said for Accardo who has a fair number of outings where he is all over the place.

Downs also doesn't really need a ton of velocity because he offsets it with such a great curveball. He just need to locate the fastball and set people up for an almost unhittable curve. His fastball only barely touched 90s on a good day anyway so I'd say he is throwing about what is normal.

I think they have more confidence in Downs. Accardo has better stuff, IMO anyway, but Downs is almost money in the bank. He throws the same virtually every time they call on him. Same can't be said for Accardo who has a fair number of outings where he is all over the place.

Downs also doesn't really need a ton of velocity because he offsets it with such a great curveball. He just need to locate the fastball and set people up for an almost unhittable curve. His fastball only barely touched 90s on a good day anyway so I'd say he is throwing about what is normal.

I think Accardo was just sent down I haven't really been following the team this spring, but agree that Ryan's time as closer may be done. I would like to see League maybe move into a set-up role this year and potentially become a closer, I like his arm but needs a little work with command.

Wow were the Jays ever hitting the ball well today. Lind and Snider are having themselves and excellent opening day.

Lind finished with 6 RBIs. He's on pace for like 1000 RBIs.

Haha. I said to a friend earlier today that Snider will hit 50 HRs and after the game I told him jokingly that he was on pace to hit 182 HRs.

I was all excited to watch the Jays game after school today, as I had been all week, and when it came time to switch to sportsnet my moral went down the drain to learn that it was only on Sportsnet Ontario and Pacific. Give me a break, they market the Jays as "Canada's team" and then they don't even show it on Sportsnet West. Was forced to watch the game one MLB's Gameday, as I will tomorrow too. It really blows that the first Blue Jays game that I'll be able to see this season is their third. I guess the upside of it is that I'll be able to watch Ricky's first Major League start, but none-the-less I wasn't impressed at all today.

Man I wish I woulda started Lind in my pool today...

Haha. I said to a friend earlier today that Snider will hit 50 HRs and after the game I told him jokingly that he was on pace to hit 182 HRs.

I was all excited to watch the Jays game after school today, as I had been all week, and when it came time to switch to sportsnet my moral went down the drain to learn that it was only on Sportsnet Ontario and Pacific. Give me a break, they market the Jays as "Canada's team" and then they don't even show it on Sportsnet West. Was forced to watch the game one MLB's Gameday, as I will tomorrow too. It really blows that the first Blue Jays game that I'll be able to see this season is their third. I guess the upside of it is that I'll be able to watch Ricky's first Major League start, but none-the-less I wasn't impressed at all today.

That sucks. I could understand if there was something else important to show. What did they show anyways? Poker? :P

Really, that sucks. They should be broadcast across Canada.

I don't think anyone could have predicted the kind of day he had at the plate.

Vezina, is MLB.com still holding a free preview for their MLB TV or whatever. I have never tried it but some of my American friends love it.

That sucks. I could understand if there was something else important to show. What did they show anyways? Poker? :P

Actually, the TV guide for shaw showed "late night poker" or something like that. I turned on to Sportsnet West and it started off with the Blue Jays pregame show, but cut off and went to FlamesTV then later the Flames game. I GUESS I can understand why they might have done something crazy like that, but it still ruined my day. :angry::rolleyes:

I don't think anyone could have predicted the kind of day he had at the plate.

Vezina, is MLB.com still holding a free preview for their MLB TV or whatever. I have never tried it but some of my American friends love it.

From what I've gathered, the "free" preview requires you put in a credit card, which I don't I have. And once your free trial is up, they take the liberty of automatically billing you for a subscription. I'm sure it's excellent, but I don't think it's worth it for the 10-20 games that aren't on TV. I just don't understand how they can get away with 2 of those games being the very first two.

I am an eternal pessimist and bandwagoner when it comes to the Jays. Its been more prevalent lately since I'm not a huge JP Ricciardi fan. The guy erks me.

I don't see them finishing higher than 3rd in the AL East this year. If they really flop badly this could be the year Vernon Wells gets traded, possibly a deadline deal to bolster a contending roster. I know they had a good record with Cito taking over last year but personally, I wouldn't put much stock in that stat going into this year.

But I guess if the D-Rays can come outta nowhere to light up the AL East, then there is always hope for the Jays.

I am an eternal pessimist and bandwagoner when it comes to the Jays. Its been more prevalent lately since I'm not a huge JP Ricciardi fan. The guy erks me.

I don't see them finishing higher than 3rd in the AL East this year. If they really flop badly this could be the year Vernon Wells gets traded, possibly a deadline deal to bolster a contending roster. I know they had a good record with Cito taking over last year but personally, I wouldn't put much stock in that stat going into this year.

But I guess if the D-Rays can come outta nowhere to light up the AL East, then there is always hope for the Jays.

Apparently you haven't been following them enough. They're expecting this year to be a retooling year and they're hoping they'll be able to put a run togther in 2010. And no one will take Wells, he has one of the biggest contracts in MLB history and it was back loaded. No one is going to want to take him, even if they did, I'm not sure it would be smart to trade him.

I don't like to reach too much into openers, becuase the energy tends to give alot of player's a boost, but still i'm happy for Lind and Snider. I think both should have very good years and show that they are cornerstone players moving forward. STill, I think if they both flirted with 25-30 hrs, and 80 plus RBIs I'd call that a fantastic season.

If your right Vezina, i'm pretty stoked that Sportnset's first broadcast will be Romero's first start. I've been pretty excited to see the kid since the Jays drafted him. I did watch the spring training game but its so hard to get a judge on how good a player is by how they play in spring training.

Poker i wish i got stuck watching radio on tv. Who the hell in there right mind would let someone put RADIO on tv!!! Give me a break

Bob McCowan+sunglasses=FAIL

Apparently you haven't been following them enough. They're expecting this year to be a retooling year and they're hoping they'll be able to put a run togther in 2010. And no one will take Wells, he has one of the biggest contracts in MLB history and it was back loaded. No one is going to want to take him, even if they did, I'm not sure it would be smart to trade him.

Ever heard of the Yankees? :P

Ever heard of the Yankees? :P

They're trade for him under the condition that he immediately accepts a raise.

If your right Vezina, i'm pretty stoked that Sportnset's first broadcast will be Romero's first start. I've been pretty excited to see the kid since the Jays drafted him. I did watch the spring training game but its so hard to get a judge on how good a player is by how they play in spring training.

I lied, it's Litsch's start that's going to be the first one on TV out west. I was mixed up about the rotation + they switched purcey and litch around to change up the match ups with left and right handers. By looking at the Blue Jays website, it says that romero's game is on "extra innings preview." Not too sure what that is.

I lied, it's Litsch's start that's going to be the first one on TV out west. I was mixed up about the rotation + they switched purcey and litch around to change up the match ups with left and right handers. By looking at the Blue Jays website, it says that romero's game is on "extra innings preview." Not too sure what that is.

That sucks. Ah well, I think Romero will get multiple chances this year to pitch on TV. Yah i forgot about that rotation switch. I'm pretty nervous have Purcey as their 2nd starter, but oh well. Gotta try a bunch of different things with a team like this.

And i don't even think the Yankees would want Wells contract. I wasn't a huge fan of it when he signed it, and i'm less of a fan of it now. They paid him way too much money, and pretty much backloaded the whole thing. I don't even think a team like the Yankees woudl take it on. They Jays are likely stuck with that one. I think they should actually start shopping Wells now and see if someone can take it before it gets too late. I like Well, I really do. But I think the Jays would be better off to move Rios into center and have LInd and Snider book end him, and try to get some good prospects/young players for Wells. Would give them flexiblity to try and retain Halladay and also actually be able to sign a FA.

Woot! Jays won a walk off(even if it was because BJ blew the save). Purcey started out rough, but settled down to throw a quality start with 7 innings pitched, 2 earned runs and 5 hits.

Woot! Jays won a walk off(even if it was because BJ blew the save). Purcey started out rough, but settled down to throw a quality start with 7 innings pitched, 2 earned runs and 5 hits.

sweet! I had to miss the game due to no broadcast. That's awesome, except I think Ryan blowing the save may be a frequent headline in the Jays camp this season. :(

Either way 2-0 baby!

sweet! I had to miss the game due to no broadcast. That's awesome, except I think Ryan blowing the save may be a frequent headline in the Jays camp this season. :(

Either way 2-0 baby!

I disagree with the BJ Ryan comment. If he hasn't lost his job as the closer already, he will have before the end of the month. Gaston made the decision to make Downs the closer after spring training because BJ had lost about 5 mph in his fastball. Ryan must have talked his way back into the job, but I don't think it'll last for long.

I disagree with the BJ Ryan comment. If he hasn't lost his job as the closer already, he will have before the end of the month. Gaston made the decision to make Downs the closer after spring training because BJ had lost about 5 mph in his fastball. Ryan must have talked his way back into the job, but I don't think it'll last for long.

Yeah I was shocked to see you telling us Ryan blown the save. I had heard the same news re: Downs as the new closer. Pretty tough to close out ball games with an mid to low 80s fastball. :D

Add Ryan to the list of deals that will haunt the Jays in a year or two. Sucks that they have about 3 or 4 bad contracts on the books right now. (Wells, Ryan, Rolen, and Overbay if you were wondering).

Glad to see the Jays win despite Ryan blowing it. I hope he recovers but if he lost that much off his fastball i have serious concerns something is going on (ie Steroids). We'll see i guess.

I think Cito is going to install this type of attitude in the team. They want to battle. I never got the feeling Gibbon's teams wanted to battle.

I didn't even realize today's was an afternoon game. Oh well, glad to see them back in the win column.

I didn't even realize today's was an afternoon game. Oh well, glad to see them back in the win column.

Even nicer to see Ricky win his first big league start.