The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rosalie52

The Bluejays Nation

Even nicer to see Ricky win his first big league start.

I like the line on Romero.

Sure 7 hits is on the higher side, but I really like the 2 walks. One thing I find with power pitcher types like Romero is they want to come in and get cute. Mcgowan did it when he broke in with the Jays too. They get cute trying to locate their fastball and end up giving up a ton of walks. I like the fact that not only did Romero only give up 2 walks (not fantastic but not bad) is that he threw almost 70% of his pitches for strikes and challenged the hitters. Not always the case with young pitchers. also not suprising that he would up with 5 Ks.

Taking up that Roy Halladay Philosphy and not the AJ Burnett PHilosphy. There is a reason Halladay so rarely gets roughed up and Burnett style pitchers get ruoghed up every few starts are so. Another reason I love having Halladay as a Jay. His philosphy tends to rub off on their younger pitchers. It wasn't until Mcgowan learned to just put the ball in play and challenge hitters that he become an effective Major Leaguer.

Not sure if any of you guys have tried the blue jay's game in a game thing. If you haven't, it's really fun. You basicly predict what's going to happen and you get points relative to how likely the prediction was. The person with the highest single game score and largest total of points over the 100 game they do it for get 52" 1080p TVs.

For today's game I was leading till they post poned the game. And since they have to pay a guy to follow the game and ask questions, an hour into the rain delay they stop the game in a game for the day and it's over. I was fairly dissappointed because I was on pace to blow away the highest single game scores.

I'm excited for tomorrow's game. AL Cy Young winner vs. AL Cy Young runner up.

Well Ryan again made the game interesting today.

His velocity was better, althought not quite there yet, but his location was everywhere. Hopefully he can straigten it out with some bullpen help. That'll be a big albatross around the team's neck if they have him suck all of a sudden.

BJ Ryan isn't have fun. Are they going to keep going to him? He was very close to being a momentum killer today.

BJ Ryan isn't have fun. Are they going to keep going to him? He was very close to being a momentum killer today.

I think they have too. He's making so much money that they can't afford to sit him on the bench. I think they keep going to him in the hopes he pulls out of it. However, if its a save situation i woudln't be suprised if they start to platoon him with say Downs or League.

Since we have a few number of Jays fans here I thought I'd start a little poll for this year's team. Pretty basic questions for predications for this season:

MVP:

Cy Young:

Rookie of the Year:

Biggest Suprise:

Biggest Dissapointment:

HR Leader

Total wins for team:

If anyone feels like adding a question feel free. I'll start. I'll also throw a stipulation in that says you can't pick a picture for your MVP. MVP has to be a fielder/hitter.

MVP: Aaron Hill

Cy YOung: Halladay

ROY: Snider

Biggest Suprise: kevin Millar

Dissapointment: BJ Ryan

HR leader: Wells

Total Wins: 85

Dissapointment: BJ Ryan

I don't know if BJ really counts as a disappointment because he didn't do well at all last year and became worse this year. If anything, I wasn't sure more than anybody about how he was going to play. If you're not planning to release him, let him go to the minors to try and get his velocity up.. If he can't, release him. No point at risking wins if he can't preform. Though, I imagine his ego would probably get in the way of that plan and would refuse to play or something like that.

I don't know if BJ really counts as a disappointment because he didn't do well at all last year and became worse this year. If anything, I wasn't sure more than anybody about how he was going to play. If you're not planning to release him, let him go to the minors to try and get his velocity up.. If he can't, release him. No point at risking wins if he can't preform. Though, I imagine his ego would probably get in the way of that plan and would refuse to play or something like that.

I listed him as a dissapointment becuase of his contract. His contract suggested he should be an All star and I don't think he'll get to that level again.

I'm also not sure if they coudl afford to release him. I believe he has something like 30 mill or so left on his deal.

HIs velocity is pretty much back. Was throwing 88/89 the other day and he only ever topped out at 92 on a good day. But his location, which is more is strong point anyway, was way off.

I listed him as a dissapointment becuase of his contract. His contract suggested he should be an All star and I don't think he'll get to that level again.

I'm also not sure if they coudl afford to release him. I believe he has something like 30 mill or so left on his deal.

HIs velocity is pretty much back. Was throwing 88/89 the other day and he only ever topped out at 92 on a good day. But his location, which is more is strong point anyway, was way off.

He has 2 years 20 million left.

Yeah, I still say kick league and Ryan down to the minors to get their location where it should be.

It's a beautiful thing to see the Jays take a game 12-2 after only scoring 2 in an extra inning affair.

Snider is really showing that he's the front runner for the AL Rookie of the year, even if it's just 10 games in.

I don't know if it's Cito or what, but the Jays really seem to have a different approach to hitting this year. I'm not going to pretend I'm an expert at baseball, but I just get the impression that they're more confident, more in control, and getting results.

I don't know if it's Cito or what, but the Jays really seem to have a different approach to hitting this year. I'm not going to pretend I'm an expert at baseball, but I just get the impression that they're more confident, more in control, and getting results.

Cito has alot to do with it IMO. Cito is far more hands on, from what i've read, than Gibbons was. Gibbons was a really passive guy but becuase he got along with most of the players that they liked playing for him. Cito is always conversing with the players though and giving them feedback. Reason I bring that up is the change in their hitting as been to be more aggressive and to trust themselvs. Under Gibbons is was more wait for pitches and work counts. He really only let the big guys for the Jays get aggressive. Tough to get confidence at a team when it appears your manager and staff don't have the same trust in you, like Cito installs in his teams'.

And I don't think its knew either, becuase the Jays of the early 90s were the exact same under Cito. They were such a confident offensive team.

Cito has alot to do with it IMO.

End of thread. Gibbons was an *expletive deleted* Cito is the kind of coach the Flames need, someone who can squeeze every ounce of talent of of every single player.

I feel real bad for Ryan. I watched him blow that 3 run lead in the top of the ninth while I was awaiting the start of the hockey game. I just don't think he can do it anymore. Pretty sad that you need a closer (Frasor) to close out your closer.

I feel real bad for Ryan. I watched him blow that 3 run lead in the top of the ninth while I was awaiting the start of the hockey game. I just don't think he can do it anymore. Pretty sad that you need a closer (Frasor) to close out your closer.

Another case of Tommy Johns killing a career. Even last year I could tell he was on the decline.

Another case of Tommy Johns killing a career. Even last year I could tell he was on the decline.

I dreaded BJ everytime he steped on the mound for a save opporitunity. The only difference between this year and last year is that this year things aren't going for him. I went to a game last year in Baltimore and he walked the bases loaded before finnished out the game with the save.

I'm not impressed at all that Romero is hurt. I guess if it's only for precautionary reasons, it's for the best. I read a comment on the sportsnet on a blog where the guy blaimed the medical staff. I wonder if there's some merit to that? There's been injury after injury to the Blue Jay's arms.

Good game today, first AL team to win their first 5 series. And they have yet to lose two games in a row this season. Fun team to watch.

I dreaded BJ everytime he steped on the mound for a save opporitunity. The only difference between this year and last year is that this year things aren't going for him. I went to a game last year in Baltimore and he walked the bases loaded before finnished out the game with the save.

I'm not impressed at all that Romero is hurt. I guess if it's only for precautionary reasons, it's for the best. I read a comment on the sportsnet on a blog where the guy blaimed the medical staff. I wonder if there's some merit to that? There's been injury after injury to the Blue Jay's arms.

Good game today, first AL team to win their first 5 series. And they have yet to lose two games in a row this season. Fun team to watch.

I've heard alot of people speculate the same. I've heard alot people link it to Arnsberg. Apparantly they think his throw program is too aggressive and it puts people at risk.

wow, yet and another dominating performance - 14-0 over the CWS. Oh my...