The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rosalie52

The Bluejays Nation

The Jays are doing quite alright for themselves so far. If this keeps up, I might have to jump on the bandwagon :D

GREAT game today. Seesaw battle that saw comebacks by the Jays on several occations. The only thing preventing it from being a TERRIFIC game is that number 19 in the win column.

I'm excited to see how they do on this west coast roadie. Doc gets the ball tonight which is a nice way to start it off.

The Jays looked so impressive tonight. Doc was his usual self and the bats were on fire.

Everyone circle Tues on your calenders. Roy Halladay vs AJ Burnett. I can't wait.

The Jays looked so impressive tonight. Doc was his usual self and the bats were on fire.

Everyone circle Tues on your calenders. Roy Halladay vs AJ Burnett. I can't wait.

I hope they light Burnett up, but for some reason I forsee a tight pitching matchup. I give Burnett the benefit of the doubt, because I'm all for guys setting up their famalies. But that doens't mean I like him for it. Especially when the Jays were loyal to him.

I have a lot of confidence in Cito Gaston. I'm glad that he's back with the Jays.

I always liked Cito. Even back in the early 90s, yes he had amazing teams but he got alot out of them. The 2nd year too, in 93, I give him a ton of credit. The pitching staff for the Jays that year wasn't near as good as it was in 92 and had tons of injuries. Much like this year, they had to win alot of 9-8 10-9 games, but they did it all while staying committed to a world series.

I was chocked when he left the first time, and even more so to hear this year that it appears Clemens had something to do with his dismisal. I kinda laughed when they brought him back, but what a difference he has made. No way are the Jays were they are right now without him. I'm still not sold that they are this good, but still you have to give Cito a ton of credit.

Is this the 1st time that the Bluejays had such a great season start?

Its their best start since the mid 80s. Even better than their world Champion teams.

but its still a long season. Jays have had a relativly easy opening sched. Not to take away from what they'v done. But I am just saying I think there is still a long way to go before they prove that they are a contender.

Its their best start since the mid 80s. Even better than their world Champion teams.

but its still a long season. Jays have had a relativly easy opening sched. Not to take away from what they'v done. But I am just saying I think there is still a long way to go before they prove that they are a contender.

Best ever record at the 41 game mark, which is roughly 1/4 the season.

fry-see-what-you-did-there.jpg

Today the Jays sent down Snider, Cecil, and Ray while recalling Romero, Janssen, and Inglett.

I think Riccardi needs to give these young pitchers a longer leach. Cecil did excellent in his first few starts then, with one bad outing (to the Red Sox none the less), they send them down. The same is true for Ray as well. Though, I would have liked to see Romero back up once he fully recovered, and Janssen has shown he disserves a starting spot after having an ERA less than 1 in his first 5 starts in AAA, I don't think you should be sending guys down after one start. If I were to pick a starting rotation that had to stick for a month or two, baring injuries, it would be:

Halladay

Richmond

Romero

Tallet

Cecil

and if Janssen proves he can pitch well, I'd put Tallet back in the bullpen.

Man, I really wish they'd fire Riccardi already.

Today the Jays sent down Snider, Cecil, and Ray while recalling Romero, Janssen, and Inglett.

I think Riccardi needs to give these young pitchers a longer leach. Cecil did excellent in his first few starts then, with one bad outing (to the Red Sox none the less), they send them down. The same is true for Ray as well. Though, I would have liked to see Romero back up once he fully recovered, and Janssen has shown he disserves a starting spot after having an ERA less than 1 in his first 5 starts in AAA, I don't think you should be sending guys down after one start. If I were to pick a starting rotation that had to stick for a month or two, baring injuries, it would be:

Halladay

Richmond

Romero

Tallet

Cecil

and if Janssen proves he can pitch well, I'd put Tallet back in the bullpen.

Man, I really wish they'd fire Riccardi already.

Agree on both counts. I'm not a Riccardi guy anymore. I use to think he knew what he was doing, but I don't have any confidence in him anymore. Sending Cecil down doesn't make any sense to me at all. He deserved to be up here IMO. Ray i'm more ok with, and I understand that Romero needs to come back up, but i don't think Cecil deserved to go down.

I fear Riccardi's job is safe thought if the Jays keep playing this way. I liken Riccardi to Craig Button. A guy that knows baseball, and knows players and is good at player personnal. Just not good at being the General MANAGER. Niether had the mananging part of this job down. I like the amount of talent Riccardi has brought in, but I don't like how he has tired to fil the gaps and find the final pieces.

I fear Riccardi's job is safe thought if the Jays keep playing this way. I liken Riccardi to Craig Button. A guy that knows baseball, and knows players and is good at player personnal. Just not good at being the General MANAGER. Niether had the mananging part of this job down. I like the amount of talent Riccardi has brought in, but I don't like how he has tired to fil the gaps and find the final pieces.

Cito saved Riccardi's job its as simple as that. A lifespan of a GM is said to be 3 coaches, Cito being the 4th (counting Buck though he wasn't a Riccardi hire). If Cito didn't make them a borderline contender last year I think for sure JP would of been let go. Now that they have been the best team in baseball since the change I think it's saved him for another year. Overall I'd rank JP middle of the pack as far as GM's go. His drafting has been pretty solid, his trading has been weak IMO the Hinske for Koch was a steal for only a year, other big deals like the Glaus or Rolen trades didn't prove too spectacular, his big fa signings seem to have had only one good year ex. Ryan, Burnett and Thomas. Contracts to Wells and Rios seemed a little premature and neither have lived up to them so far, but Halladay's and Hills look like bargains. His best moves imo have been the lucky unexpected return trades and signings mainly in the bullpen with Downs, Carlson and Tallet.

Out of today's moves Snider sent down doesn't bother me its happens alot where guys have good Septembers to earn a spot next year only to be not ready the next year, prime example Russ Adams. Glad to see Inglett back thought he did well last year, like his versatility in the field. As for the pitchers I would of liked to see Cecil get more starts I think its a thing of confidence get him back to the minors after a rough start to avoid another one in the majors, whatever the reason I don't agree he had pitched 3 really solid outings and shown he deserves to be with the big club.

Cito saved Riccardi's job its as simple as that. A lifespan of a GM is said to be 3 coaches, Cito being the 4th (counting Buck though he wasn't a Riccardi hire). If Cito didn't make them a borderline contender last year I think for sure JP would of been let go. Now that they have been the best team in baseball since the change I think it's saved him for another year. Overall I'd rank JP middle of the pack as far as GM's go. His drafting has been pretty solid, his trading has been weak IMO the Hinske for Koch was a steal for only a year, other big deals like the Glaus or Rolen trades didn't prove too spectacular, his big fa signings seem to have had only one good year ex. Ryan, Burnett and Thomas. Contracts to Wells and Rios seemed a little premature and neither have lived up to them so far, but Halladay's and Hills look like bargains. His best moves imo have been the lucky unexpected return trades and signings mainly in the bullpen with Downs, Carlson and Tallet.

He also has the built in money excuse. They had to cut back in spending and start too many young player etc etc. Its the Leafs thing. Set the bar really low, so its easy to reach or succed. It would take a fare bit to consider this season a failure for the Jays. Even if they go .500, I think most people woudl call that a sucess.

I agree with most. His contracts have been a big thing for me. Overbay, Rolen, and Ryan are a huge drain on the payroll right now. Thats 30 million (more than a 3rd I beleive) of their payroll in 3 guys that don't earn it IMO. Ryan I don't blame him for too much though. I like the deal, althought 5 years was Iffy for me, when he signed it and I don't like nocking GMs with hindsight.

His drafting has been solid in the pitching depart. He has piced up guys like Wolfe cheap in trades too. But its just the finishing touches he is lacking. And now he is going to be strung by money for the next few seasons to really try and improve the team. I also hate how he keeps getting so many also ran style players rather than just trusting in his young guys.

He also has the built in money excuse. They had to cut back in spending and start too many young player etc etc. Its the Leafs thing. Set the bar really low, so its easy to reach or succed. It would take a fare bit to consider this season a failure for the Jays. Even if they go .500, I think most people woudl call that a sucess.

I agree with most. His contracts have been a big thing for me. Overbay, Rolen, and Ryan are a huge drain on the payroll right now. Thats 30 million (more than a 3rd I beleive) of their payroll in 3 guys that don't earn it IMO. Ryan I don't blame him for too much though. I like the deal, althought 5 years was Iffy for me, when he signed it and I don't like nocking GMs with hindsight.

His drafting has been solid in the pitching depart. He has piced up guys like Wolfe cheap in trades too. But its just the finishing touches he is lacking. And now he is going to be strung by money for the next few seasons to really try and improve the team. I also hate how he keeps getting so many also ran style players rather than just trusting in his young guys.

His contracts/trades have a been a big problem in my books too. Why trade Glaus, who has one year left on his contract, for Rolen who signed this big long deal years ago? Rolen had had injury problems in previous years before he was traded and plus he was obviously on the decline due to age. That seems like a lot of risk for the not that great of a reward. Now Rolen has managed to stay, for the most part, healthy and has provided some solid defence at the 3B position, but 3B is usually a position where you have that slugger. As far as Rolen, Overbay, and Ryan are concerned, they're under contract till next year.

Rios and Wells need to get on a roll here.. They lost a game they really shouldn't have today. You have Hill on 2nd with one out in the top of the 9th down by one and you should be fairly confident you'll be able to get at least a base hit with your number 4 and 5 coming up, but lately that hasn't been the case. Both are hitting around .260 while both going 0-4 on the day.

His contracts/trades have a been a big problem in my books too. Why trade Glaus, who has one year left on his contract, for Rolen who signed this big long deal years ago? Rolen had had injury problems in previous years before he was traded and plus he was obviously on the decline due to age. That seems like a lot of risk for the not that great of a reward. Now Rolen has managed to stay, for the most part, healthy and has provided some solid defence at the 3B position, but 3B is usually a position where you have that slugger. As far as Rolen, Overbay, and Ryan are concerned, they're under contract till next year.

Rios and Wells need to get on a roll here.. They lost a game they really shouldn't have today. You have Hill on 2nd with one out in the top of the 9th down by one and you should be fairly confident you'll be able to get at least a base hit with your number 4 and 5 coming up, but lately that hasn't been the case. Both are hitting around .260 while both going 0-4 on the day.

I liked that deal until I found out Rolen had so many years left. I agree on that one.

Talking contracts, there are more that I think are going to bite the Jays. Rios not as much because his dollar value is reasonable for what he brings, but the Wells contract could very easily turn into an albatros. I don't thik Wells is a true number 4 hitter. And I think for the money he is getting paid, he should be. Or they need to get a true 4 in here so Wells can go to 3 where he has always been his best.