The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rosalie52

The Bluejays Nation

I liked that deal until I found out Rolen had so many years left. I agree on that one.

Talking contracts, there are more that I think are going to bite the Jays. Rios not as much because his dollar value is reasonable for what he brings, but the Wells contract could very easily turn into an albatros. I don't think Wells is a true number 4 hitter. And I think for the money he is getting paid, he should be. Or they need to get a true 4 in here so Wells can go to 3 where he has always been his best.

I guess the contracts is the biggest flaw with Riccardi. I don't mind the players he's aquired, but once he gets them on the team he goes and signs them to giant contracts that they haven't really earned. Though, I believe at the time Wells signed his contract it seemed just but now he has been injury prone.

On a different note, Marcum and McGowan seem to be opposite stories on their recovery progress. Marcum, who was expected to be out till 2010, is now set to come back sometime August. Unfortunatly though, McGowan was originally believed to be out May-June has suffered a setback and it's possible that he might be out the entire year. Personally, I'm a huge Marcum fan and was crushed when he went down to a long term in the last couple of starts of the 08 season.

I guess the contracts is the biggest flaw with Riccardi. I don't mind the players he's aquired, but once he gets them on the team he goes and signs them to giant contracts that they haven't really earned. Though, I believe at the time Wells signed his contract it seemed just but now he has been injury prone.

On a different note, Marcum and McGowan seem to be opposite stories on their recovery progress. Marcum, who was expected to be out till 2010, is now set to come back sometime August. Unfortunatly though, McGowan was originally believed to be out May-June has suffered a setback and it's possible that he might be out the entire year. Personally, I'm a huge Marcum fan and was crushed when he went down to a long term in the last couple of starts of the 08 season.

I agree partially on Wells at that time because he had that breakout year and the fear was him testing free agency. But VW has never been consistent with the bat, great one year ok the next.

Good to hear about Marcum, but I'd rather him maybe miss the year than potentially cause further damage (Tommy Johns is a killer). Right now though my expectations on both are so low based off of what the long layoffs have done to most pitchers that have had similar surguries. It would still be good to get atleast one of them back to being an effective starter, but depth has been shown in their absence.

Well, that's 6 in a row they've lost with a team RISP 1 for 12 today. Bullpen really cost it for them giving up 8 runs. Well, Boston won and New York lost so they're in 2nd place in the AL East. I guess it's a blessing that they're still up there.

Hopefully this isn't a sign of things to come.

Well normally they are pretty much out of the hunt by the beginning of May, so we should be pleased that they were in it for this long. :)

I hope they snap out of this and go on a nice little win streak. Losing 6 in a row is rough.

Their a young team, with a roster full of holes, and a very young pitching staff. Its pretty natural to do the highs and lows during a 162 game season.

It sucks their bull pen is not pitching well, but again i blame that on Riccardi. He always seems to takes someone's best season and assume they can do it again. Carlson and Camp pitched out of their range, IMO at least, last year. Expecting them to repeat like that every year is not that realistic. However, it is not his fault that Ryan sucks and Accardo has been struggling earlier beucase thats two blows to your bull pen.

LOL! 10 in a row and counting. That's more like it. The AL East is starting to look more and more like I remember it.

Like most recent years, Doc Halladay will be the singular bright light on this team.

Wells will be traded.

LOL! 10 in a row and counting. That's more like it. The AL East is starting to look more and more like I remember it.

Like most recent years, Doc Halladay will be the singular bright light on this team.

Wells will be traded.

I'd like to see it, but I think his contract makes him immovable. I think unfortunately they may be stuck with Vernon Wells. His contract is just massive for what he's brought since he signed it.

I'd like to see it, but I think his contract makes him immovable. I think unfortunately they may be stuck with Vernon Wells. His contract is just massive for what he's brought since he signed it.

Just one of a few immovable players. The only large contract they can move is Halladay, which shouldn't be in consideration right now. I don't think anything should be done right away these slumps can happen. I mean they lost 9 in a row on the road and are only 1.5 back from first and have 110 or so games left.

Just one of a few immovable players. The only large contract they can move is Halladay, which shouldn't be in consideration right now. I don't think anything should be done right away these slumps can happen. I mean they lost 9 in a row on the road and are only 1.5 back from first and have 110 or so games left.

They only reason they should deal Halladay is if he says he has no interest in resigning. if thats the case you have to move him. Can't let a player like that walk for nothing.

Wells, Overbay, Ryan are all players that are immovalbe IMO, but I would move at any time if I got the opportunity. Regardless of wether they were on fire or slumping as I think those three are the worst contracts on the team. Rolen I would for the right return.

Wells will be traded.

I am DEEPLY offended by that statement. Please become more educated in the subject before posting something like that, because clearly you don't know much about baseball. Especially since the losing streak was only at 9.

"Richmond's pitched well, but I think Tallet's pitched better," Gaston said. "Somebody's got to be the fifth guy. I think Richmond's that fifth guy right now."

http://toronto.bluejays.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090529&content_id=5029490&vkey=news_tor&fext=.jsp&c_id=tor' target="_blank">http://toronto.bluejays.mlb.com/news/artic...sp&c_id=tor[/post]

Funny that Cito would believe Richmond is the 5th man right now because at times he's looked like possibly a 3. If I were manager, I'd consider Janssen the 5th man right now. He didn't pitch all that well in his first start and didn't look great today either, although he picked up the win. Janssen squeezed his way out of tight situations seemingly every inning. He ended up with 11 hits and 2 BB or a WHIP of 1.86. That game could have very very very easily gone in Boston's favor. I'm sure that's not going to be the last of Janssen's shaky starts in the near future, either. I'd still like to see Cecil back in the majors. Janssen should be moved where he's most effective, the bullpen IMO. I never understood why the Jay's front office wanted him to become a starter so bad. He's been down that road before and it didn't work out. Some guys are best just left in the pen (ie. Joba Chamberlain). The pen is where the games with your 3rd, 4th, and 5th starters are won. The pen is a big reason why they went on that losing streak IMO. 3 of the 9 losses were handed to a relief pitcher, most notiably the last game in the baltimore series when they a blew a 5 and 2 run lead.

Funny that Cito would believe Richmond is the 5th man right now because at times he's looked like possibly a 3. If I were manager, I'd consider Janssen the 5th man right now. He didn't pitch all that well in his first start and didn't look great today either, although he picked up the win. Janssen squeezed his way out of tight situations seemingly every inning. He ended up with 11 hits and 2 BB or a WHIP of 1.86. That game could have very very very easily gone in Boston's favor. I'm sure that's not going to be the last of Janssen's shaky starts in the near future, either. I'd still like to see Cecil back in the majors. Janssen should be moved where he's most effective, the bullpen IMO. I never understood why the Jay's front office wanted him to become a starter so bad. He's been down that road before and it didn't work out. Some guys are best just left in the pen (ie. Joba Chamberlain). The pen is where the games with your 3rd, 4th, and 5th starters are won. The pen is a big reason why they went on that losing streak IMO. 3 of the 9 losses were handed to a relief pitcher, most notiably the last game in the baltimore series when they a blew a 5 and 2 run lead.

I agree 100% and have thought this as well. At first I figured it was because they didn't like their depth in the rotation. And when you think back to last year, who knew Cecil, Romero, Ray would all be effective this year. Effective in the future sure, but not so quick. so i kinda of wrote if off as keep starting rotation depth. But now that they've proven they have the depth, i don't see why they insist on Jansen being a starter. Especially now that their bullpen depth is suddenly in jeopardy.

I don't think Jansen has enough stuff to be a starter. His stuff isn't all that complicated and hitters figure it out. But in the short term, he seems to come out, throw hard, locate hard, and get guys out.

I agree 100% and have thought this as well. At first I figured it was because they didn't like their depth in the rotation. And when you think back to last year, who knew Cecil, Romero, Ray would all be effective this year. Effective in the future sure, but not so quick. so i kinda of wrote if off as keep starting rotation depth. But now that they've proven they have the depth, i don't see why they insist on Jansen being a starter. Especially now that their bullpen depth is suddenly in jeopardy.

I don't think Jansen has enough stuff to be a starter.His stuff isn't all that complicated and hitters figure it out. But in the short term, he seems to come out, throw hard, locate hard, and get guys out.

Janssen has just provided more evidence for my arguement after his outing in today's game. 4 IP 5 ER and 1 BB with 2 SO. When a pitcher is not capable of striking out batters it generally is related to his inability to fool hitters. Bring Cecil up, agian.

The parade of pitching injuries continues. Janssen has been put on the 15 day DL with more problems with his right shoulder. To replace him, the Jays called up the 1-8 Brad Mills.

While up to bat in the top of the 10th yesterday, Downs looked to be taking every pitch to avoid any possibility of an injury. With a 2-2 count, Downs swings and overextends while pivoting through the swing. He then continued to limp down to first base. He is reciving an MRI today and will soon find out the extent of his injury, hopefully it's not bad.

The parade of pitching injuries continues. Janssen has been put on the 15 day DL with more problems with his right shoulder. To replace him, the Jays called up the 1-8 Brad Mills.

While up to bat in the top of the 10th yesterday, Downs looked to be taking every pitch to avoid any possibility of an injury. With a 2-2 count, Downs swings and overextends while pivoting through the swing. He then continued to limp down to first base. He is reciving an MRI today and will soon find out the extent of his injury, hopefully it's not bad.

I hope after the DL stint he goes back to the bullpen. Still frusturates me they insist on keeping Jansen as a starter. Injury or not, he's gotten pounded pretty good as a starter.

Downs goes down coudl be alot of trouble for the Jays. These injuries are quite ridiculous the past few years. Starting to really questions the strenght and conditioning staff.

I hope after the DL stint he goes back to the bullpen. Still frusturates me they insist on keeping Jansen as a starter. Injury or not, he's gotten pounded pretty good as a starter.

Downs goes down coudl be alot of trouble for the Jays. These injuries are quite ridiculous the past few years. Starting to really questions the strenght and conditioning staff.

Just got an email from sportsnet. Halladay and Downs have both been put on the 15 Day DL. Halladay is retroactive from june 13th and is eligable to come off on the 28th.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/2009/06/17/janssen_jays_moves/' target="_blank">http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/2009/06/1...sen_jays_moves/[/post]

/sigh

Looks like Accardo is coming up too. Be nice to see him recapture his old ways.

Picked up a save today didn't see any of it. Can't believe this team swept at home by a decent team then sweep the defending champs on the road.

Picked up a save today didn't see any of it. Can't believe this team swept at home by a decent team then sweep the defending champs on the road.

Not to take anything away from the sweep, but the Phillies have only won two series at home all year and both were agianst the Nationals.

Funny, then, that the Jays lost a series to WSH.

I don't know if this has been mentioned before, I apologize for being too lazy to read through the whole thread...

Why does Sportsnet West not show Blue Jays games during the week anymore? We get the Yankees? Seriously? I can't imagine their ratings are any better out west than they used to be.

Funny, then, that the Jays lost a series to WSH.

I don't know if this has been mentioned before, I apologize for being too lazy to read through the whole thread...

Why does Sportsnet West not show Blue Jays games during the week anymore? We get the Yankees? Seriously? I can't imagine their ratings are any better out west than they used to be.

I ask myself that regularly. We ended up just ordering all the sportsnet channels, though the downside with that is that they're not in HD. Better than nothing, though.

Trading Doc seems almost imminent at this point in time, so I think if you're going to trade him, you can't limit your options to teams outside the AL East.  I know you'd be handing your team losses for probably years to come, but that's a price I'd be willing to pay.  I think you should try as hard as you can to strip the Yankees from their two top prospects: Austin Jackson(27) and Jesus Montero(40).  Both those guys are ranked in the top 50 by MLB.com, which is the least you can ask if you're going to trade away the best pitcher in the game.  So please Riccardi, don't screw us out of the best pitcher in baseball by limiting our possible returns.

Joe Strauss of the Post-Dispatch reports that a Cardinals source said this: "Give Ricciardi all our minor-league rosters and let him circle any 5 names." And here's a quote from St. Louis general manager John Mozeliak: "It’s fair to say there will be a call to Toronto well before the deadline."

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/fantasy/blog/roto_arcade/post/The-Roy-Halladay-trade-rumor-roundup?urn=fantasy,175710

I think I'd be satisfied with a deal like that.  Looking at the Card's farm system, it seems like it's one of the better ones out there.  http://www.minorleagueball.com/2009/1/5/709221/st-louis-cardinals-top-20

If you're looking for pitchers in return, it looks like Boston or the Dodgers are the teams to speak to

According to rumours,

Boston's deal would revolve around Clay Bucholz

And coloumists seem to believe that LA would have to part with Kershaw. 

Both those guys are potential aces..

I'm headed down to Seattle for the 3 game series at the end of the month, so hopefully I'll be able to see Halladay pitch one more time in a Blue Jay uniform, if he does in fact end up being traded.

--------------------------------------------

On a different note, I've been combing through the jay's minor league affiliates, and I've noticed that Snider seems to be getting some of his pop back.  Could see him back in the majors IMO if he gets into a groove, because Cito loves his left handed batters and Dullucci hasn't really panned out so far.

Shaun Marcum is on a seamless path to make his way back to the big leagues in the near future.  On July 16th, Marcum pitched 4.2 scoreless innings in AA New Hampshire.  And the 10.2 innings rehab innings he's given up 2 runs.

Another pitcher still working to return from injury is reliever Casey Janssen. Janssen was placed on the team's 15-day disabled list June 17 for inflammation in his right shoulder. According to Anthopoulos, however, the team hopes to have him back within a few weeks.

"He's starting a rehab assignment on Monday," Anthopoulos said. "Again, he has 30 days, but
he's coming back as a reliever
. Assuming he feels good, and health permitting, we think he'll be back just a little bit after the break. Maybe in the July 20-21 range. Again, if he needs a little more time, it'll go back to end of July. If he's progressing better than we expect, maybe he'll be back right after the break."

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090712&content_id=5839892&vkey=news_tor&fext=.jsp&c_id=tor&partnerId=rss_tor

Thank you!  I think the bullpen will be a lot better in the 2nd half of the season with Tallet and Janssen back in the bullpen.

And finally, McGowan has been shut down for the remainder of the season.  This is truely unfortunate, considering they guy was only supposed to be out till may/june.  You have to do what you have to do, though.  Hopefully he'll return with a fire similar to what Hill has done after coming back from an injury that had him out of the lineup for a large portion of last year.