The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rosalie52

The Bluejays Nation

Just finnished watching the first of three blue jay games in Seattle here. The first few innings of the game consisted of Toronto taking the lead, then Seattle tieing it. This happened 3 times until in the bottom of the 4th when Seattle took its first lead of the game. Wouldn't you know it, a Seattle fan comes up to me (I was wearing my Halladay jersey and cap) and asks me "Oh, do you know what the score is" in which I replied "4-3....." he then continued to cheer in my face. I'm not really a rowdy fan, so I simply smiled it off. Well, I guess that jinxed the Mariners because the next inning the Blue Jays scored 4 runs (all coming with 2 out) and there was no looking back. The Jays added on a few more runs and the final ended up being 11-4.

Met quite a few Blue Jay fans. In fact, I think there was more Blue Jay fans crowding around the Jays' dugout during pregame warmups than in Toronto. Certainly far more fans that go early to the games than in Baltimore. Met lots of people from BC, and we found out half way through the game that the people in front of us were from Calgary, too.

Blue Jays Record when I'm there: 5-0 :D

Snider is HOT lately in AAA Las Vegas.. After hitting around .230 for most of time since being sent down, he's brought his average up to .282 in a matter of a week or less. (Just looked it up) on the 24th Snider's average was .227.  Today he hit FOUR DOUBLES driving in 5 runs.

And as i watched the gameday for the 51s today,  something wierd happened..  A position player was sent in the top of the 9th and this is what it showed in their lineup

After each pitch, it kept growing and growing! haha

Trading Doc seems almost imminent at this point in time, so I think if you're going to trade him, you can't limit your options to teams outside the AL East.  I know you'd be handing your team losses for probably years to come, but that's a price I'd be willing to pay.  I think you should try as hard as you can to strip the Yankees from their two top prospects: Austin Jackson(27) and Jesus Montero(40).  Both those guys are ranked in the top 50 by MLB.com, which is the least you can ask if you're going to trade away the best pitcher in the game.  So please Riccardi, don't screw us out of the best pitcher in baseball by limiting our possible returns.

Joe Strauss of the Post-Dispatch reports that a Cardinals source said this: "Give Ricciardi all our minor-league rosters and let him circle any 5 names." And here's a quote from St. Louis general manager John Mozeliak: "It’s fair to say there will be a call to Toronto well before the deadline."

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/fantasy/blog/roto_arcade/post/The-Roy-Halladay-trade-rumor-roundup?urn=fantasy,175710

I think I'd be satisfied with a deal like that.  Looking at the Card's farm system, it seems like it's one of the better ones out there.  http://www.minorleagueball.com/2009/1/5/709221/st-louis-cardinals-top-20

If you're looking for pitchers in return, it looks like Boston or the Dodgers are the teams to speak to

According to rumours,

Boston's deal would revolve around Clay Bucholz

And coloumists seem to believe that LA would have to part with Kershaw. 

Both those guys are potential aces..

I'm headed down to Seattle for the 3 game series at the end of the month, so hopefully I'll be able to see Halladay pitch one more time in a Blue Jay uniform, if he does in fact end up being traded.

--------------------------------------------

On a different note, I've been combing through the jay's minor league affiliates, and I've noticed that Snider seems to be getting some of his pop back.  Could see him back in the majors IMO if he gets into a groove, because Cito loves his left handed batters and Dullucci hasn't really panned out so far.

Shaun Marcum is on a seamless path to make his way back to the big leagues in the near future.  On July 16th, Marcum pitched 4.2 scoreless innings in AA New Hampshire.  And the 10.2 innings rehab innings he's given up 2 runs.

Another pitcher still working to return from injury is reliever Casey Janssen. Janssen was placed on the team's 15-day disabled list June 17 for inflammation in his right shoulder. According to Anthopoulos, however, the team hopes to have him back within a few weeks.

"He's starting a rehab assignment on Monday," Anthopoulos said. "Again, he has 30 days, but
he's coming back as a reliever
. Assuming he feels good, and health permitting, we think he'll be back just a little bit after the break. Maybe in the July 20-21 range. Again, if he needs a little more time, it'll go back to end of July. If he's progressing better than we expect, maybe he'll be back right after the break."

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090712&content_id=5839892&vkey=news_tor&fext=.jsp&c_id=tor&partnerId=rss_tor

Thank you!  I think the bullpen will be a lot better in the 2nd half of the season with Tallet and Janssen back in the bullpen.

And finally, McGowan has been shut down for the remainder of the season.  This is truely unfortunate, considering they guy was only supposed to be out till may/june.  You have to do what you have to do, though.  Hopefully he'll return with a fire similar to what Hill has done after coming back from an injury that had him out of the lineup for a large portion of last year.

Thank you also! Its driving me crazy that Ricardi was insiting Jansen be a starter despite being far more successful as a reliever, not having the bull pen dpeth his does in his starting rotation, and not having the stuff for being a starter. I hope they finally keep him in the bullpen where he belongs.

I am hoping Snider is one of their september call ups so he can get some more MLB at bats. I suspect he will be.

I have to applaud JP on the Rolen trade. I think he got great return and also saves himself a huge amount of money. Not likely he can use that money but at least it may give him some flexibility.

After last night's game, Snider is now hitting .308 with 33 RBIs and 10 HRs.

Another guy that really deserves to be called up is Randy Ruiz.  He plays 1B/DH and the guy has done nothing but hit for power this year.  He's hitting .324 with 25 HRs and 101 RBIs.  Though, he's not really all that young at 32.

Unfortunately, Snider has been down in Triple-A since about May or June.  It's only been just recently he's found his stroke again after half the year.  I'm sure they'll call him up soon, though biggrin.gif

Wells actually had a pretty series against Baltimore, so hopefully that momentum transfers into the series in New York.  Wells has been an interesting case this year.. At home he's hitting a very disappointing .187, where as on the road he's hitting a very respectable .319.   Interestingly enough, he has the same amount of HRs on the home and road (6) and more RBIs at home.  Maybe Cito plays him farther down in the lineup on the road and he's more comfortable?

I'm still saying that the Jays should aquire a big bat in the offseason and they'll finally be able to compete.

The Toronto Blue Jays have parted ways with
and the outfielder is off to Chicago.

On Monday the Blue Jays allowed the White Sox to claim the 28-year-old off waivers.

The enigmatic outfielder was placed on waivers late last week and once the White Sox put in a claim, Toronto had to decide whether they wanted to recall him off waivers, work out a deal with Chicago and trade him, or let Rios go, getting nothing in return. The team opted for the third choice.

http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/story/?id=287338

BIG BIG BIG news here.  First off, it gives the Jays a lot more financial flexability in the off season.  Hopefully a big signing of a proven hitter in the off season?  Secondly, it makes room for another outfielder on the major league roster.  I'd be willing to bet all my marbles that that guy is Travis Snider happy.gif

Jordan Bastian is tweeting that the Blue Jays aren't going to call up Snider right away. Instead, aforementioned Randy Ruiz is likely to get the call up. This makes sence, because Randy isn't on the Las Vegas line up for tonight. I guess I would have lost all my marbles! haha

I don't like that the Jays got nothing for Rios. I don't think his contract was bad enough to warrant just giving him away. At the end of the day this was still a guy on pace for over 20 hrs 90 rbis and 20 stolen bases all while having a "down" year.

I also disagree with not calling up Snider. If you believe Snider is your guy that you can trade Rios than you should get him in there ASAP and get him some bats other wise have fun trying to sign anone in the offseason. This is the problem I have with the Rios trade. JP is trying to spin it as a move so that he can get finanical flexability and sign players. yet, this is a franchise that is not very good right and contemplating trading its best player. I don't think any FA is going to look at Toronto and say, well there close I think i'll sign there. So the money is going to ahve to be there. Money the Jays don't exactly have.

So i see some overpaid 2nd tier players coming in, and the Jays being stuck in mediore for the next few years until they finally get a GM that can manage a team and assets properly.

After this move I am no longer a Jays fan until 1.Ricciardi is fired 2.The team is sold or 3.Both 1 and 2 occur.

This is because I feel the Blue Jays have been ran into the ground harder than any other team in the league except the Pirates.

Yes Rios has a big contract but he is young and could bounce back next season. Now the Jays do have more cap space going into the offseason but knowing Rogers and Ricciardi they arnt going to do anything with it, well anything useful that is.

So until my ultimatum is met (which i could see either of them happening soon) my Jays jersey will remain in my closet and i will be wearing my Angels hat a lot more.

From what I've read, the new president is going to be named after the season.  I'd have to guess that this new president will want to put his own stamp on the team.  So I'd be really surprised if JP was still here after this season.  I can't imagine ownership is so oblivious to all the fans crying for his firing..

As for not calling up Snider, I'm not really as unimpressed.  Ever since Snider was sent down, I've been following the 51s on a daily basis.  Randy Ruiz probably deserves to be called up more than anyone, including Snider.  In the PCL,  Randy is 3rd in Slugging %, 1st in RBIs by over 20, 2nd in HRs, 1st in Doubles and 1st in Hits.  If any hitter is more deserving of a call-up, I'm not sure who it is.

I wouldn't disagree that Ruiz probably deserved the call up more than Snider, but I look at from a future of the team standpoint. I think the Jays have to finally realize that they ahve to build using the Tampa Bay model if they want to compete and that includes putting your young guys in earlier so you can compete sooner.

[quote name=cross16]I wouldn't disagree that Ruiz probably deserved the call up more than Snider, but I look at from a future of the team standpoint. I think the Jays have to finally realize that they ahve to build using the Tampa Bay model if they want to compete and that includes putting your young guys in earlier so you can compete sooner.

Keeping Snider in the minors this year basically gives the team another year in which they have his rights before he can become a free agent, doesn't it?  Seeing as the season was lost after that 9 game losing streak (or whatever it was), no reason to waste that first year.  He'll be up in September at the very latest, and I believe it wont affect Snider in a negative way.  If anything, I think it's taught him not to take anything for granted. 

I don't know why I said Snider earlier I meant Lind... and I don't think the Tama Bay way to develop players is all that effective... they had one good season then fell back to earth... the kids aren't the problem it's the overpaid vets lacking heart that are the problem

this winter I would like to see them take a run at Jason Bay if he still hasn't come to terms with Boston

[quote name='conn_smythe wrote:

cross16
']I wouldn't disagree that Ruiz probably deserved the call up more than Snider, but I look at from a future of the team standpoint. I think the Jays have to finally realize that they ahve to build using the Tampa Bay model if they want to compete and that includes putting your young guys in earlier so you can compete sooner.

Keeping Snider in the minors this year basically gives the team another year in which they have his rights before he can become a free agent, doesn't it?  Seeing as the season was lost after that 9 game losing streak (or whatever it was), no reason to waste that first year.  He'll be up in September at the very latest, and I believe it wont affect Snider in a negative way.  If anything, I think it's taught him not to take anything for granted. 

It would, but thats a price i'd be willing to pay to try and get the Jays more competitive faster rather than waiting another 2 -3 seasons. Better try and use players like Halladay, Downs, Wells now than to wait even longer. Its been too long for the Jays not to be competitive. Plus, until you hit UFA status, which for baseball is not for some time, its not like you make significant money anyway so I'm not worried too much about Snider making big money or losing a year towards free agency.

And Luna, Tampa Bay has hardly fallen. Their 4.5 games back in the Wild card race all while working off a payroll that is far less than the teams in front of them and at least they have, and appear to have, a team that will at least play meaningful games in the fall. I'd take that any year over the "done at the all star break" Blue Jays.

I'd love to see them get Bay, but I don't thnk it will happen. They are already committed to about 60 million dollars in just Wells (20ish), Halladay (16ish), Ryan (12), Hill (5ish), Overbay, (7ish), and have no starting calibre SS signed next year and have a hole at catcher. Paying which is likely going to be double digits for Jason Bay is not solving the problem. They do need a clean up calibre hit up, but they also need more hitting depth and those two positions first.

[quote name='cross16 wrote:

conn_smythe wrote:

cross16
']I wouldn't disagree that Ruiz probably deserved the call up more than Snider, but I look at from a future of the team standpoint. I think the Jays have to finally realize that they ahve to build using the Tampa Bay model if they want to compete and that includes putting your young guys in earlier so you can compete sooner.

It would, but thats a price i'd be willing to pay to try and get the Jays more competitive faster rather than waiting another 2 -3 seasons. Better try and use players like Halladay, Downs, Wells now than to wait even longer. Its been too long for the Jays not to be competitive. Plus, until you hit UFA status, which for baseball is not for some time, its not like you make significant money anyway so I'm not worried too much about Snider making big money or losing a year towards free agency.

And Luna, Tampa Bay has hardly fallen. Their 4.5 games back in the Wild card race all while working off a payroll that is far less than the teams in front of them and at least they have, and appear to have, a team that will at least play meaningful games in the fall. I'd take that any year over the "done at the all star break" Blue Jays.

I'd love to see them get Bay, but I don't thnk it will happen. They are already committed to about 60 million dollars in just Wells (20ish), Halladay (16ish), Ryan (12), Hill (5ish), Overbay, (7ish), and have no starting calibre SS signed next year and have a hole at catcher. Paying which is likely going to be double digits for Jason Bay is not solving the problem. They do need a clean up calibre hit up, but they also need more hitting depth and those two positions first.I actually am fine with our shortstop situation (depending on their contract situations)... I am a firm believer the glove is more important than the bat for shortstops and 2nd basemen... and can't you scratch Ryan from your list? he's with the Cubs now after being released (or do we still have to pay him?)... I think Bay is a great investment because we do have a hole in the outfield too and he in good in every facet of the game

[quote name='ThaLunatik wrote:

cross16
']

I'd love to see them get Bay, but I don't thnk it will happen. They are already committed to about 60 million dollars in just Wells (20ish), Halladay (16ish), Ryan (12), Hill (5ish), Overbay, (7ish), and have no starting calibre SS signed next year and have a hole at catcher. Paying which is likely going to be double digits for Jason Bay is not solving the problem. They do need a clean up calibre hit up, but they also need more hitting depth and those two positions first.
I actually am fine with our shortstop situation (depending on their contract situations)... I am a firm believer the glove is more important than the bat for shortstops and 2nd basemen... and can't you scratch Ryan from your list? he's with the Cubs now after being released (or do we still have to pay him?)... I think Bay is a great investment because we do have a hole in the outfield too and he in good in every facet of the game

Unfortunatly, we do have to continue paying Ryan.  I really don't see how you can upgrade our SS and Catching.  For shortstop, there's a couple guys that I'd pick up (Orlando Cabrera or Miguel Tejada), but I don't see why you would if you could get Scutaro for cheaper.  Marco has been solid leading off for the Jays all year.  For catcher, there's no real FA that'll give you more power, which only leaves improving from within your system.. That would probably not help at all because J.P. Arencibia has been absolutely horrid this year.. He's among the league leaders in strike outs in, what's considered by a lot of people, a weaker league in the PCL.  He's looking more and more like a bust.  So I'm all in favor for bringing Bay in.  Home Country discount? haha - most likely not.

I too think Scutaro is solid, but I think he's jsut that solid. If you truly want to contend I think you need better SS play than you get from Scutaro. But your right the market is very bare in that case. Its really going to depend on what Scutaro wants becuase I dont' think he is going to come that cheap. I really like Orlando Cabrera but your right its not a huge upgarde but Cabrera came pretty cheap last offseason so may not even cost that much more tha Scutaro.

For catchers, there is Victor Martinez and IMO, he would be the first guy I would pursue if I were the Jays.He brings you more power, which your lacking especially a guy who can hit in the heart of an order. He can catch but also play first base/DH which gives them alot of options and could also mean you could look to trade Lyle overbay which I really want to do. You could also bring back Barajas who could still catch the odd game whicl Martinez DH or played first depding on your matchups. I also say this becuse I've been reading in multiple places that the long term plan for Adam Lind is to move him to first base.

But its going to come down to money. The jays have bewteen 50-60 milion already committed to next year and thats not including Scutaro is they want to retain him. It doesn't sound like the Jays want to spend much money, so thats also why signing Bay (althought I really like him as a player), is not proper allocation of assets IMO. You tied up even more money, and you still have multiple holes all over your roster. Id take Martinez definetly before Bay. If they lose Scutaro, I'd also like to see them take a look at Carl Crawford who could replace him at the top of the order.

I too think Scutaro is solid, but I think he's jsut that solid. If you truly want to contend I think you need better SS play than you get from Scutaro. But your right the market is very bare in that case. Its really going to depend on what Scutaro wants becuase I dont' think he is going to come that cheap. I really like Orlando Cabrera but your right its not a huge upgarde but Cabrera came pretty cheap last offseason so may not even cost that much more tha Scutaro.

For catchers, there is Victor Martinez and IMO, he would be the first guy I would pursue if I were the Jays.He brings you more power, which your lacking especially a guy who can hit in the heart of an order. He can catch but also play first base/DH which gives them alot of options and could also mean you could look to trade Lyle overbay which I really want to do. You could also bring back Barajas who could still catch the odd game whicl Martinez DH or played first depding on your matchups. I also say this becuse I've been reading in multiple places that the long term plan for Adam Lind is to move him to first base.

But its going to come down to money. The jays have bewteen 50-60 milion already committed to next year and thats not including Scutaro is they want to retain him. It doesn't sound like the Jays want to spend much money, so thats also why signing Bay (althought I really like him as a player), is not proper allocation of assets IMO. You tied up even more money, and you still have multiple holes all over your roster. Id take Martinez definetly before Bay. If they lose Scutaro, I'd also like to see them take a look at Carl Crawford who could replace him at the top of the order.

I would personally love to see Martinez as a Blue Jay, but he's likely going to be a member of the Red Sox next year because he has a club option for 2010 (although it did go up to 7.5 million because of the trade, I think the Red Sox can afford it).  And I agree that aquiring Bay probably wouldn't be a good way to spend their money.  The same goes for Carl Crawford, he has a club option for 2010, and I see no reason why the Rays wouldn't pick it up.

One thing that seriously bugs me with the MLB (as well with the NFL) is their draft system.  Players should not recieve multimillion dollar deals before they ever step onto the field.  The Nationals have stated that there's a very real possability that the Nats wouldn't be able to sign Stephan Strasburg due to the cost of the deal he's trying to get - even though he's already been offered a record deal by the Nats (I read somewhere it's just over 10 million dollars).  Though, there's a common denominator with these high demands - and his name is Scott Boras.  He tells his players that are in the draft (including Strasburg) that if they don't get the amount of money they're asking for, they should go back to college for another year and try again next year.  The guy represents most of the top tier players in the league, too... He's one of the worst thing to happen to the league because when teams finally do fall into his demands, he just raises those expectations the next year. 

It's really sad when the list of unsigned picks is this big: http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/draft/news/2009/268711.html

I'm not sure if you've heard of uber-prospect Bryce Harper, but he's been labeled a prodigy and the LeBron James of baseball.. And guess what.. He's only 16 years old.  The kid is almost a freak of nature, if you will.  He holds the record for the home run EVER hit at Tropicana field at 509 feet.  Amazingly, that's not the longest home run he's ever hit, either....  He once hit a ball 529 feet.  What does this kid play?  Well, pretty much everything.  He plays C, SS, 3B, 1B, and oh yeah.. Pitches.. At only 16 years of age, his fastball has been clocked at 96 MPH.  Thanks to his agent, Scott Boras, whom found a loop hole in which if Bryce earned his GED this summer, he'd be eligible for the draft which will be the case.  There's one slight problem, though.  Whomever drafts him will likely have to pay a STEEEEEP price likely in tune to 70-100 Million dollars.  It'll be intresting to see how that plays out next year.

If you want to read more on Bryce, there's an article at SI.com: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1156215/index.htm

Ya I overlooked the optioin next to Martinez' name. Probably wishfull thinking that the Red Sox won't pick that up.

This is also why I dont' buy JPs argument that they got rid of Rios because it gives them a chance to spend elsewhere. I'm reading more and more now that Rios actually wasn't a well liked guy in the clubhouse so if that holds true I am more ok with the deal, but JPs spinning it as a move for financial flexiblity I don't buy and never did. Its a weak FA crop and especially weak in the key areas. So all I see happening is either tying money up in a position they don't need, thus reinforcing their weakness' elsewhere, or overspending for a barely average guy at a position of need. Given the Jays financial situation, its probably not going to be a busy offseason in terms of FA and they have little to trade other than Halladay. And then you have JP saying he would rather not trade Halladay and rather roll the dice to see if they can win. Newsflash JP, Your not going to so get the best you can for Doc this summer when his value is likely higher.

Going to be a long next few years for the Jays even if they, and I think finally will this summer, get rid of Riccardi. Virtually all the avenues to improve their team are very bare.

But on a positive note, I did enjoy seeing Snider have an awesome day at the plate and glad he got the call up. I just hope he plays virtually full time from here on in so they can get him ready ASAP.

Ughhhhh.. Cito's job of managing Snider really frustrates me.. Normally you put your WORST hitter in the 9 hole. So what does Cito do?  He puts, IMO, his 5th or 6 guys (and that's conservative) in the 9 hole.  Edwin Encarnasion (nicknamed EE) (read on another message board where someone suggested his nickname should be E5 instead! LOL) should be in the 9 hole.  The only upside to him is that he can hit for power.  Unfortunately, that's about all he can do.  As of August 19th, he's hitting .203.  What's power good for when it's the only way you can get on base.  Barajas, whom is hitting a weak .241 doesn't exactly help either.  So by the time Snider comes up to the plate, there's already 2 out.  So if/when Snider gets his home run, you're basically guaranteeing it to be a solo home run.

Some good news from the perspective of a Jays fan, Rios has continued to be terrible.  Although, he did end up hitting his first home run as a member of the White Sox.  He's hitting .276 with an OBP of .290.  I've been reading that the White Sox fans have now come to the realization of how terrible of a pick up it was for them.

Ahhhh.. Finally! Cito must have read my post or something because Snider is hitting 6th infront of Ruiz, Bautista, and Chavez. And as I write this, Aaron Hill just hit home run #29.