The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rosalie52

The Bluejays Nation

Well, 5 opportunities for Frasor so far and he's got 3 saves + 2 blown saves. I also heard Buck Martinez saying that Frasor has yet to get the first hitter he's seen out this season. That's not exactly encouraging when your closer develpes a habit of always putting the first batter on base.

Cross what do you think of Lyle Overbay? He's hitting just .077 so far this season. Defensively, I think he's great, but then again first base is by far the easiest defensive position to play. I hate watching him at the plate, he constantly watches first pitch fastballs go right down the middle, then swings at terrible pitches, inducing a ton of ground outs, double plays, and pop outs. I think he's dead weight...they need to get rid of him.

Cross you might be onto something with Kevin Gregg as closer...3 for 3 with save opportunities now.

Also in the cruelest twist of fate I can remember, Alex Rios of all guys breaks up Ricky Romero's no-hitter in the 8th inning. Romero lookes spectacular so far.

Cross you might be onto something with Kevin Gregg as closer...3 for 3 with save opportunities now.

Also in the cruelest twist of fate I can remember, Alex Rios of all guys breaks up Ricky Romero's no-hitter in the 8th inning. Romero lookes spectacular so far.

I had a bad feeling that Rios would break it, but that didn't bug me as much as Pierzynski's sell job right before that was completely pathetic be a man and use your at bat to earn your way on base, didn't surprise me I've always hated him.

I like Gregg as closer now as well not only has he been successful closing but hasn't made things interesting either.  So far I've liked Marcum and Romero starting I think Morrow will be a good one too, Tallet and Eveland I think will have their good and bad outings.  In the bullpen I think Camp has looked solid Jansens has been pretty good too I guess only Frasor hasn't looked good so far.  Lineups been solid outside of Overbay and Snider, defensively only Encarnacion has really made errors.  6-2 pretty good so far, but they started well last year too until they started playing the Yanks, Sox and Rays.

I dislike Overbay, have for some time. He's very overpaid for what he brings and I would like to see them make way for Ruiz and Wallace. He's still an OK hitter and solid defensivly, but he makes 7 mill per and I think even more this year. Thats way too much and its why i think the Jays can't move him. From everything i've read they've tried very hard to try and move him but can't. Hopefully maybe at the deadline this year they can get someting for him.

Thats always the problem i've had with Frasor. Even when he does gets a Save very rarely does he make it easy. there were many times last year were he got the save but made it interesting. I really hope we see alot more of Gregg.

I think you really have to like the Jays starting rotation so far (althought its very early) and Vernon Wells. If Vernon Wells continues this pace I honestly think the Jays will suprise alot of people this year. A cleanup hitter has been lacking for them in some time and if they get it their lineup suddenly becomes deep.

I can't believe the power numbers this team is putting up, but this next stretch is gonna look tough Rays, Yanks, Rays, Rockies and Padres look like. This should determine if they are a contender or pretender, I would like to see them play some meaningful ball late in the year and get some better crowds to games. Its kinda sad that the only team that is meeting or exceeding expectations in Toronto is the team that is getting little support.

I think thats the nature of a market place like that, that was told repedatly over the offseason that they would suck. I think fans expectations arn't yet exceeded, becuase really they havn't beat anyone you can write home about.

It also hurts when you don't have a star player.

Well I had been a fan of most of AA's moves, but his recent trade of Brett Wallace is a little mind boggling. He has put up excellent numbers in Vegas and could step in next year with Overbay's contract up. The guy they got sounds like a nice prospect which will give them a good base stealing threat, but is a few seasons away. I don't know if he has something else in the works by getting a 1b for Downs or someone else or if they might move Lind to first and have Snider, Wells, Bautista in the OF with Lewis as DH, or any other combos next year.

That was my first reaction too.

but honestly if you can get a guy who is a franchise CF (which aparantly this kid is) it is >>>>>>>>>> better than a 1b.

they coudl move Lind to 1B or Snider, or look for someone cheap in FA. To get that CF, who AA said had some Carl Crawford in him, is pretty huge. Blue jays outfield depth in the system is very thin especially in CF.

also Wallace has really cooled off lately. i think he is still going to be a good player, but I think if you can get a CF with this upside you do it. its a risk sure, but you know what I love that AA is taking some risks are targetting players.

Another thing too, is AA has a plan and he's sticking to it and I think you have to like that. It would be easy for alot of GMs to look at the fact his team is playing better than they thought and then do more to try and improve on the short term. AA has a vision to build this team to not just a contender for a year or two, but a contender for multiple seasons. YOu need a stud CF to do that far more than you need an above average first baseman (which is what I think Wallace will be). So I think it was a move that you make with a long term vision in mind and its part of AA's plan which he hasn't waivered on.

By "we're" do you mean the Jays becuase the Jays are definetly not in the playoffs. They are over 500% which is honestly a pretty big success for this team.

As much as I have not been a fan of Cito the last couple seasons, you have to respect what he did for the organization. IMO, you dont win back to back championships with a bad manager or bad coaching. one maybe, but not two. The Jays, their fans, and the netire organization, owe Cito a lot. Its time for him to go yes, but that doens't change what he did in the past.

I always felt Cito went unrespected through out the league. After being let go by the Jays he didn't get a single offer to manage in the league again. Sure the Jays were a stacked team during those days, but I think the most talented teams need a strong manager. Take the Mets for example, big payroll lots of talent and accomplishing nothing, or to an extent look at Torre's tenure with the Yankees, you look past the 3 ws in his first 4 years, but after that he never won again despite that team continually getting more talented.

They surpassed my expectations of mid-high 70's wins. I like the look of this team heading into the future, a rotation of Marcum, Cecil, Romero, Morrow and Drabek would be without an ace, but would be one of the better ones in the league. At the plate leaves question marks, it seems every year the guys who were expected to perform well didn't, I think Hill and Lind could bounce back, but will Bautista keep it up.

Surpassed mine too. I thought winning 70 games would be a pretty good season and I definetly didn't peg them to go 500 or better.

Jays do set up well in a couple years time. I think Morrow has ace potential but he's got a ways to go to get there. I think he took a very nice step forward this year but he'd need another big one to put himself in "ace" talk. I think he's the only one out of that group that has the stuff to be an Ace though.

Even without the Ace there are many teams that can trot out a rotatin that deep and I agree that in 2 seasons time, that could be the of the best rotations in baseball. i think it'l take one more year for Morrow, and Drabek to establish themselves and thats why I say 2 seasons.

I'm not worried about Hill/Lind. I actually don't even think LInd had that down of a year. If I recall correctly he got hurt early in the season, but to start the season was on fire and still posted solid numbers. 22 hrs and 70 RBiS (especially when you consider the struggle the Jays had to get baerunners this year) isn't bad. Hill is a litle bit of a different story because his defence also slipped a little too. Despite that I still felt he was pretty good and again put up some ok offensive numbers.

The biggest problem with the Jays is baserunners. They need some guys at the top of the order and bottom that can get on base. Escobar will help with that, and there are rumors that they are going to go after Carl Crawford hard. If they can get him, have Escobar full time, and get one more player to hit for a little more avg as opposed to power I think they would be ok offensivly. If they can get more consistant in that I think they could contend. YOu look at them this year, and they had the most Hrs be far in the majors, yet were barely top 10 in offence. Few more base runners here and there would equal alot more wins becuae those single jacks turn into 2 or 3 run Jacks.

Bullpen could be an issue next year becuase it sure doens't look like Scott Downs is coming back. Outside of him they are shaky at best. Gregg's not a bad closer on a non contending team but I think they need some help there. I think Rzepchynski could wind up as a long reliver next year or situation lefty would could help, but I think they need a true set up man if Gregg is to close, or a true closer. Neither are easy to find.

Thought I'd give this a bump (new board seemed to lose discussion from 07-10).

Since Flames talk has gotten pretty depressing, I thought I'd discuss whats gonna lighten my sporting mood. Pretty stoked for baseball to start next week. It seems there is a lot of optimism around the Jays (already sold out the opener). Last year most pegged them to be cellar dwellars, but I said (on the old board) that they would win 75-80 games and they exceeded my expectations. I must say I love what AA has done in just 2 offseasons he has kept the team competitive for the present and grabbed some promising prospects for the future, he even did the impossible of ridding the team of the worst contract in the league. While Farrell wouldn't have been my first choice I do think he has an excellent baseball mind and seems to be a guy that players want to play for, would also help if he gave them pointers on how to hit Clay Buchholz. Last year I thought a major problem was the BA and OBP especially coming from the 1-2 spots I think has been adequately addressed going into this year, Escobar in the number 2 hole for a full season looks promising, and Rajai Davis has finally given them a base stealing threat that has been missing for too long. Power numbers I think will take a hit with the loss of Wells and Buck and there is always uncertainty if Bautista can repeat, but I think the more important thing will be getting baserunners and being able to drive them in.

Pitching wise I like the bullpen moves, nothing fancy but got quality, just hoping Francisco can get and stay healthy. Rotation wise Marcum is a tough loss, but still a trade that I think the Jays will end up winning. He was the leader of that group, but I think left it in good shape the young arms seem to be a tight knit group that feed off of each other. Hopefully Morrow only misses the one start that is expected, and Romero and Cecil bounce find their form as spring seems to have been rough on them.

Overall I say 83 wins, in another division maybe they can push 90, but the Sox added this offseason, Yanks didn't really add but still have a lot, Rays lost some but can't be counted out and the O's finished strong under Showalter and added some quality hitters. Think the team is in the right direction maybe 2 years I think they will be a strong contender. Should be an excellent season.

Edit: one post and it all came back.

I think they can and probably should win 90. It should be an entertaining year and it will be interesting to see some of the young arms develop.

But they need to start winning games in their division, specifically against the Sox and the Rays.

Senor - i'm curious as you clearly are a good baseball person as well who were you thinking of for manager?

I really like the John Farrell higher becuase I like how wide a array of skills he brings. He's been in the development side of things as well as the managing side of it and comes with great pitching background. The other coach they interviewed from the Red Sox was my pick, but so far I have to say i'm very, very impressed with John Farrell.

I'm thinking 80 games, anywhere around there i'd be happy with. I wouldn't be suprised if they took a small step back, but not much. I think they have potential to get to 90 wins but alot would have to go right IMO. Stay very healthy and they would need one of their 4/5 starters to really step up like last year. I'm encouraged that it looks like LItsch has been throwing well in spring training. I'm not a huge Jesse Litsch fan but I think he'd be a great 4/5 guy if he gets his stuff back. I'm really excited for what Morrow could potentiall do this year. If spring training is any indication, this looks like it may be the next ace of the Jays staff. Really if you exclude his first handfull of starts next year he was putting up ace style numbers and he's shown improvement this spring training as well. I'm very excited for their rotation but it will be interesting to see what they do when Morrow is healthy. Jo JO Reyes seems like he's a solid addition and is out of waiver option so he would get claimed and I don't think you can let that happen. Man if that Gonzalez trade every working out well for the Jays with Reyes AND Escobar coming over in the deal.

This franchise though is looking like it could have something next year or the year after and beyond. Brett Lawrie is looking amazing at 3rd base for having just moved there and I think a year of AAA is going to make him an extremely solid 3rd baseman. I too like the bullpen moves and i'm hoping they can get Francisco healthy to be their full time closer and if they do you really have to start finidng where the hole is on this team? If Morrow and Drabek hit their potential as well as Lawrie, man is this a scary looking team for the future.

Senor - i'm curious as you clearly are a good baseball person as well who were you thinking of for manager?

When they announced the guys they interviewed my preferences were 1. Hale 2. Farrell 3. Butterfield 4. Alomar Jr. Guys that were on my wishlist, but didn't know if they were either available or interested were Ron Wotus from the Giants and Dave Martinez. Wotus I definitely didn't see as a possibility just because of how valued he is by that organization and he seems fine over there.

I agree on Morrow I think once they made Molina his full time catcher he really started to shine, it actually reminded me of when Maddux requested that Eddie Perez catch his games instead of Javy Lopez. I still feel that out of all the no hitters, perfect games and the Jim Joyce blown perfect game last year that Morrow's one hitter vs. Tampa was the most impressive pitching performance last year, it was just bad circumstances that lost it, but he made some good hitters look foolish.

I also think Snider will break out this season, last year was rough because of the start and injuries, but I thought he finished strong and seemed to gain his confidence back. I haven't seem him play yet this spring but I hear he's swinging the bat real well.

I agree on Morrow I think once they made Molina his full time catcher he really started to shine, it actually reminded me of when Maddux requested that Eddie Perez catch his games instead of Javy Lopez. I still feel that out of all the no hitters, perfect games and the Jim Joyce blown perfect game last year that Morrow's one hitter vs. Tampa was the most impressive pitching performance last year, it was just bad circumstances that lost it, but he made some good hitters look foolish.

I also think Snider will break out this season, last year was rough because of the start and injuries, but I thought he finished strong and seemed to gain his confidence back. I haven't seem him play yet this spring but I hear he's swinging the bat real well.

I just watched the one game so far but i liked the way Snider was swining the bat. I know buck martinenz is really high on Snider thig season and thigns he's going to have a huge year. i tend to agree as long as he stays healthy. He has definetly proven he can hit MLB pitching very well, and I think he just needs some consistancy. i think he also provides an upgrade over Lind in left. I think Snider is going to be the position breakout player of the team this year. I'd like to say Arencibia but i think he needs more time in the Bigs.

I agree, that almost no hitter was really impressive. Morrow clearly, IMO, has the best stuff of all the toronto starters. He has an intimidating presence and it he can learn mound control, which it appears he has to a degree in spring training, to me he has Ace written all over him. Thats no to downgrade Cecil, Drabek or Romero, I just don't think they have the top end potential Morrow does.

I agree with you too on hale, he was my top pick. i was currious if there were others you were aware about. I think they made the right choice in farrell from everything i've read and listened too. I think he has an exceelent approach and philosophy and I like that he retained alot of the coachign staff that was really successful alst eyar and didn't purge it to bring in "friends" like a lot of new coaches do amongst all levels.

Jays followed up their opening night win with a 6-1 victory despite starting a handful of backups as they were facing a lefty. Kyle Drabek got his 1st Major League win surrendering 1 hit and 1 earned run over 7 innings.

over a pair of games the Jays now have 19 runs scored and 6 Homers (from 5 different players)

overall its been a fantastic start for Toronto

Drabek was excellent yesterday. I was very impressed with his stuff and his composure for a young Pitcher but thats something all the scouts comment on.

I like this year that the jays are not relying on the long ball. they've been a really aggressive team on the basepaths and thats very encouraging.

Drabek was excellent yesterday. I was very impressed with his stuff and his composure for a young Pitcher but thats something all the scouts comment on.

I like this year that the jays are not relying on the long ball. they've been a really aggressive team on the basepaths and thats very encouraging.

Definitely exciting. I haven't been this excited for a Jays season in quite a while, maybe part of it is the Flames being so disappointing. I am also excited knowing we get to watch every game this year.

Tough loss yesterday but still good signs were shown, I've noticed players hustling right out of the box and thats a great sign, yesterday E5 caused a couple hurried throws on infield hits by running them out, he actually looks faster this year. McCoy's hit in the 9th there would be hundreds of players in that situation that would just jog out a single but he had the double mindset right out of the box, I thought he was out at first but its risks like that will pay off more often than not I think, as aggressive running can really throw off fielders.

I was impressed and disappointed with the bottom of the ninth, when down by 2 and starting with 7-8-9 I would expect to lose more often than not, but they did an excellent job of not only turning the lineup over and scoring a run, but they loaded the bases for the clean up guy. At that time Lind needed to be patient, Nathan was struggling with command and had thrown a lot of pitches especially for a guy coming off a year away.

Solid weekend though and excellent crowds, looking forward to Jo-Jo tomorrow.

E5 does look faster i agree, but unfortunately it doesn't look like his fielding is any better. I don't think the jays are going to ruah Lawrie but with how well Nix played there may be some competition there.

i was really impressed with Lind for most of the series until that last scneario. But these guys are taught to go up with a plan and i think either he got his pitch or he just misread it. I agree on the hustle and so far with the direction of the team. Pretty sound decision made my Farrell all weekend. Hoping Jo-Jo pitches well and if it does it makes for a pretty interesting decision once Morrow is healthy. Reyes is out of options from what i've read so he can't be sent down and with how well Drabek pitched do you want him in AAA?