The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rosalie52

The Bluejays Nation

I think it was three year actually. But what I ment by more job security is that if JP were to go trade someone I could see him possibly being traded away. More likely then Halladay atleast. I also think Halladay has a No Trade Clause.

Intresting fact: In Frank Thomas' contract he gets a bonus if he gets a gold glove

It was a http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7006136998' target="_blank">Four Year deal for Overbay[/post] and i know what your saying.

Either way, I wasn't trying to knock your choice. You can never go wrong with Doc.

I was just looking at the numbers and it looks like this for the Wild Card

Team W L PCT GB

Detroit 61 49 .555 -

Seattle 60 49 .550 0.5

NY Yankees 61 50 .550 0.5

Minnesota 57 53 .518 4.0

Toronto 56 54 .509 5.0

Oakland 53 59 .473 9.0

With 52 game remaining there is still hope! I don't know how we got back to 5.0 GB, but I'm not complaining. With a 3 game series agianst the yanks (July 6th, 7th, and 8th) we could shake things up a bit.

This is the time to do it with Detroit and Cleveland in the slumps that they're in.

Cleveland Last 10: 3-7

Detroit Last 10: 1-9

We're going in agianst a hot Yankee team winning the last 3, but they Jays match that with 3 in a row themselves.

If they're going to make a push for the wild card this is the time to do it.

It also helps that we have a 4 game series with KC right after ^_^

I was just looking at the numbers and it looks like this for the Wild Card

Team W L PCT GB

Detroit 61 49 .555 -

Seattle 60 49 .550 0.5

NY Yankees 61 50 .550 0.5

Minnesota 57 53 .518 4.0

Toronto 56 54 .509 5.0

Oakland 53 59 .473 9.0

With 52 game remaining there is still hope! I don't know how we got back to 5.0 GB, but I'm not complaining. With a 3 game series agianst the yanks (July 6th, 7th, and 8th) we could shake things up a bit.

This is the time to do it with Detroit and Cleveland in the slumps that they're in.

Cleveland Last 10: 3-7

Detroit Last 10: 1-9

We're going in agianst a hot Yankee team winning the last 3, but they Jays match that with 3 in a row themselves.

If they're going to make a push for the wild card this is the time to do it.

It also helps that we have a 4 game series with KC right after ^_^

Your right, there are still there but I think this team needs to change its attitude if they are going to do it. They don't seem prepared for the pictures they are facing and thus can't put the hammer down when they need to. to me, the Yankees game today really exposed that. You see a team full of professional hitters be patient and watch for pitches when they need runs, and then you see the Jays just go up and see what the can do. To me, this team lacks the real winning attitude to make the playoffs. I mean if you have a starting rotation that pitching as well as they are right now, and your still not putting together much of a run, something is wrong.

That's what is most frustraiting about the whole situation. They're a way better team then what the standings say. Sure, they've had a lot of injuries this season, but that's no excuse for the way the healthy players are playing.

Vernon Wells is on pace to hit 12 less homers then last year

Troy Glaus is on pace to hit 17 less homers then last year

Thomas is on pace to hit 12 less homers then last year

And each with a major drop in RBIs

Last year the jays offence was feared, this year it is just mediocre.

I think Clemens was the one teaching.

No kidding.. I wonder how many ejections he has had in his career.

Yesterday's events was ironc.

From Wikipedia:

After the 2000 ALCS game against the Mariners where he knocked down Alex Rodriguez and then argued with him, Seattle Mariners manager Lou Piniella called Clemens a "headhunter."

On August 7, 2007 Clemens was ejected in a regular season game between the Yankees and Toronto Blue Jays when he hit Toronto batter Alex Rios on a pitch. This was seen as retaliation for earlier in the game when Toronto pitcher Josh Towers hit Clemens's teammate Alex Rodriguez in the knee on a pitch

He went from hitting hit, to protecting him.

Great game today. Final score 15-4 and not one home run (though Frank Thomas and Alex Rios were both mere feet from hitting one)! If you they did that every game... In two seperate innings the Jays went through the entire batting line-up.

Jays tie a franchise record with 9 doubles in tonights game.

They also tie a franchise record with most runs scored without a Home Run.

Stairs is the new franchise leader for most consecutive doubles with 5.

No kidding.. I wonder how many ejections he has had in his career.

Yesterday's events was ironc.

From Wikipedia:

He went from hitting hit, to protecting him.

I'm not saying I like Clemens - but he was just protecting his teammates. It's not really ironic - players change teams, it's not like Clemens would hold a grudge on A-Rod and treat him differently than any other teammate. It was clear that Toronto went after A-Rod, and pitcher retaliation used to be a HUGE part of the game. It's dwindled a bit now with ejections, but it's always nice to see a pitcher stick up for his team.

I'm not saying I like Clemens - but he was just protecting his teammates. It's not really ironic - players change teams, it's not like Clemens would hold a grudge on A-Rod and treat him differently than any other teammate. It was clear that Toronto went after A-Rod, and pitcher retaliation used to be a HUGE part of the game. It's dwindled a bit now with ejections, but it's always nice to see a pitcher stick up for his team.

I agree it's important for pitchers to do that, but there are better places to throw at a guy then his head. And its not like Clemens won't only go for a head in retaliation, he threw at Piazza for no reason. And balls aren't the only thing he'll throw at a guy.

t1_bat_ap.jpg

Link

MLB suspends Clemens five games

TSN.ca Staff

8/9/2007 6:48:42 PM

Major League Baseball has suspended Yankees pitcher Roger Clemens for five games for intentionally throwing at Blue Jays' outfielder Alex Rios in Tuesday's heated encounter.

Yankees Manager Joe Torre also received a one-game suspension for his role in the melee as both benches had been issued warnings earlier in the game.

Both Clemens and Torre were fined undisclosed amounts as were Yankeees' slugger Alex Rodriguez and coaches Larry Bowa and Tony Pena.

The Blue Jays did not escape punishment either as starter Josh Towers, infielder Matt Stairs and Coach Brian Butterfield were all fined for their actions.

The incident was sparked after Towers hit Rodriguez in the calf causing the benches to empty. Clemens retaliated in the 7th inning by drilling Rios in the back.

The Blue Jays were originally angry with Rodriguez after the Yankees superstar distracted Jays third-baseman Howie Clark while running between second and third on a pop up on May 30th. Clark dropped the ball while Jays shortstop John McDonald had words with Rodriguez.

In Monday's series opener, Toronto starter Jesse Litsch threw behind Rodriguez in his first at bat.

The suspension of Clemens is scheduled to begin on Friday when New York plays at Cleveland, however Clemens has the right to appeal.

That's good and all, but isn't 5 games for a pitcher still just 5 games? Or is it 5 starts?

Darn...

Marcum went 6 2/3 with a no-hitter, but injured himself and gave up an infield base hit to Butler. It was to bad, he had a GREAT game. This is now the second game this year he's flirted with a no-hitter. Only a matter of time if you ask me.

Jays win 2-1. Couple of tence moments but the defense did their job.

Jays officially eliminated from the AL East race. :P

Weren't they supposed to be good this year? :lol::lol::lol:

Supposed to be, but they were a little overrated at the begining of the season.

However, they have had virtually every key cog in their offensive battling injuries and slumps so like does play a part in their season. The injuries alone don't tell the story, but this team just dind't have the right attitude from the get go.

They need some tweaks in the offseason (not much) and oh please please fire Gibbons!

Jays beat the Bo Sox again..Grandslam in the 8th to make it 6-1..The Sox have now lost 4 in a row.

That's too bad, I hate hearing about the Yankees great comeback. With any other team it would be great, but how the Yankees spent parts of the season below .500 is just embarassing.

That's too bad, I hate hearing about the Yankees great comeback. With any other team it would be great, but how the Yankees spent parts of the season below .500 is just embarassing.

My team is now the Indians, I have family in Cleveland..GO TRIBE!

doesn't that make their comeback story this season even...better?

I don't get it.. Shaun Marcum goes 12-6 with soooo many no decisions (because god knows that the Jays couldn't score last year) and everyone predicts he'll be fighting for the 4th or 5th spot in the rotation. He was a solid number 2 guy last year, so why is TSN, Sportsnet, and almost all other sports websites saying he's not worth a guaranteed spot in the rotation. Heck, this guy came pritty close to a no-hitter TWICE(the 2nd time he got some craps and was unable to continue in like the 7th or 8th)!

The Blue Jays starting rotation is anchored by Roy Halladay, A.J. Burnett and Dustin McGowan. If Janssen is taken out of the mix, the final spots in the rotation will likely fall to two of either Shaun Marcum, Jesse Litsch or Gustavo Chacin.

http://tsn.ca/mlb/news_story/?ID=228872&hubname=

I don't get it.. Shaun Marcum goes 12-6 with soooo many no decisions (because god knows that the Jays couldn't score last year) and everyone predicts he'll be fighting for the 4th or 5th spot in the rotation. He was a solid number 2 guy last year, so why is TSN, Sportsnet, and almost all other sports websites saying he's not worth a guaranteed spot in the rotation. Heck, this guy came pritty close to a no-hitter TWICE(the 2nd time he got some craps and was unable to continue in like the 7th or 8th)!

http://tsn.ca/mlb/news_story/?ID=228872&hubname=''>http://tsn.ca/mlb/news_story/?ID=228872&hubname=' target="_blank">http://tsn.ca/mlb/news_story/?ID=228872&hubname=[/post]

There is a general feeling in the baseball world that marcum pitched a bit over his head last year. Marcum's a contact pitcher who relies on movement and change of speeds but doesn't have have a great fastball and thus people are still concerned he may not be able to repeat what he did last year. Hes a guy that needs his control to be effective or he is in trouble. Now these are not my personall concerns, but its been wildly suggested. Everyone I read say he is a guaranteed starter and reading that TSN tid bit it shounds like they think so too, its jsut as the 4th guy and not higher. Its not likely they would be him above the other three jsut because those are three have the Fastball and power to overwhelm hitters and those pitchers will always be to end guys.