The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rosalie52

The Bluejays Nation

Yes...Its hard to believe that Marcum likely wont have a spot in the starting rotation to start the season...Don't fret though...He will be in the rotation in week 4 when Burnette goes down with a sore arm...

It's unbelievable.. When JP was getting bits and pieces of the team he was just trying to get a team together that could out score the other team... Now we have one of the better starting rotations and a top 5 bullpin, all by accident.

It's unbelievable.. When JP was getting bits and pieces of the team he was just trying to get a team together that could out score the other team... Now we have one of the better starting rotations and a top 5 bullpin, all by accident.

Not exactly by accident. It may appear that he was trying to build an offensive latent team, but he'll be the first to tell you that you don't win in the majors without good pitching. Thats why you see his first few years as GM his drafts were full of pitchers. Mcgowan, Marcum, Jansen, Litsch, Wolfe, Accardo, Burnett, Tallet, Ryan were all brought in by JP either through draft, FA, or trade in the case of Wolfe. Chacin is also a JP pick, and his first FA moves were guys like Batista and Lilly. so its not exactly by accident that the Jays have a good rotation. They've been builidng it for years, it just took guys like Mcgowan a little long, and they got more than they thought out of guys like Marcum and Litsch but you don't accidental stumble over a pitching staff like the Jays have.

Its going to be a good season! I can feel it. Eckstein shouldnt feel so lonely on the Jays now that he has Rolen playing with him as well.

Im hoping we can finish in second and win the Wild Card as alot of sports commentators are predicting.

Only a few more weeks till it all starts!

I've been really impressed with Marco Scutaro in the first 5 games. Looks like Rolen has some competition at 3rd when he gets back.

I'm a big Scutaro fan and was exstatic when JP picked him up. A great bench player how is gonna be very usefull this year. However, Rolen is the 3rd basemen no questions ask. He's the much better player and will play full time at 3rd when he returns.

I'm optimistic about the Jays this season. The only thing that worried me was what were their young pitchers, who picked so well last year, gonna do this year. So far, and I know its only one start for each, all of them have shown the exact same stuff they had last year. Even Mcgowan stayed calm against the Yankees in a situation where he use to crumble. Guys look like they are swining the bats well so far, so i'm optimistic. They depth is clearly much bette so that bodes well for the rest of the season. The biggest thing is gonna be focus. For years the jays havn't been able to go on those runs of wins becuase they just don't have that intensity. They'll need that to make the playoffs this season.

I hope this is a sign of things to come. The Jays could EASILY be 5-1 or 6-0 right now. If the Jays keep this up we'll be pushing for the division at the end of the year, not the wild card.

I hope this is a sign of things to come. The Jays could EASILY be 5-1 or 6-0 right now. If the Jays keep this up we'll be pushing for the division at the end of the year, not the wild card.

I think it is, and I don't want people tot hink i'm jumping the gun and saying they are gonna win the divison or anything, but thier pitching looks like its returned. IMO, that was the big quetsions mark for this season. Did Mcgowan, marcum, Litsch and Accardo just find lightning in a bottle or can they actually pitch? and while yeah its only one start for everyone, you could see that all of their stuff was just as active as it was last year. For the first time in I don't remember win, the Jays can go into a series with even pitching mathups across the board. Last fwe years, especially when you went up against Boston and Yankees, theres was always a matchup or two where you would look and say oh well the Jays offence better get going because thats a bad pitching matchup. Now they don't have that and their pitching can keep them in every game. oviously they are gonna have some bad outtings and such but their offence looks improved but the jury is still out.

but mainly, if you pitching is good enough to keep you in every game and you have guys like Rios, Well,Thomas, and Rolen (when healthy) in your lineup your gonna have some success. The Wild Card or divison is gonna come down to wether or not the Blue Jays have a more aggressive attitude, and their bats need to stay hot.

Their pitching has been good other than the closer but the lack of timely hitting sure looks familiar. Too many guys left on base helped kill them last year.

Their pitching has been good other than the closer but the lack of timely hitting sure looks familiar. Too many guys left on base helped kill them last year.

I concur...Accardo sux as a closer...Will Ryan ever be back...

I concur...Accardo sux as a closer...Will Ryan ever be back...

He is staring to throw down in AAA and seeing game action. Starting to look more and more like he could pitch by the end of the month.

He is staring to throw down in AAA and seeing game action. Starting to look more and more like he could pitch by the end of the month.
isn't he @ Dunedin? if so thats Single A

isn't he @ Dunedin? if so thats Single A

Yeah, sorry your right. He is now on his way to Syracuse to throw in AAA but has been in Single A

http://toronto.bluejays.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080408&content_id=2505166&vkey=news_tor&fext=.jsp&c_id=tor' target="_blank">Ryan update.[/post] He is still progressing well and they are talking about him playing in the Bigs by the end of the month. Good news consdiering i'm gonna be at Boston to see the jays play.

I don't have a link but I heard Ryan was called up and League sent down...Anyone else hear this?
i hadnt heard it... and i dont have a link... but Ryan pitched in teh 10th inning today and got teh save in the series sweep

i hadnt heard it... and i dont have a link... but Ryan pitched in teh 10th inning today and got teh save in the series sweep

The first batter Ryan faced, Byrd, tripled of them which had me worried but then retired the next three. Man.. If only Janssen wasn't injured we'd have the best bullpin in the league. Frasor, Downs, Tallet (who has been doing excellent so far), Janssen, Accardo, and BJ to finnish what's left.

The first batter Ryan faced, Byrd, tripled of them which had me worried but then retired the next three. Man.. If only Janssen wasn't injured we'd have the best bullpin in the league. Frasor, Downs, Tallet (who has been doing excellent so far), Janssen, Accardo, and BJ to finnish what's left.
don't we have Wells or something as well that was a Rule 5 player?

Jays win today 5-4 in 10 innings and end up sweeping the Texas Rangers! The Jays record now is 7-5. BJ Ryan with his first save of the season! great to see him back.

thats a horrible record considering they have swept 2 different series... they need to smarten up and play more consistently... how do you have a sweep of the rangers and red sox sandwiched around being swept by the lowly A's?

thats a horrible record considering they have swept 2 different series... they need to smarten up and play more consistently... how do you have a sweep of the rangers and red sox sandwiched around being swept by the lowly A's?

Relax, there's still 150 more games to go. It's early in the season.

Relax, there's still 150 more games to go. It's early in the season.

its not like im panicking... im just saying sweep, getting swept then sweeping someone else isnt a good sign... but on the bright side the Jays have won 4 in a row now with a 11-3 pounding of the O's