The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rosalie52

The Bluejays Nation

its not like im panicking... im just saying sweep, getting swept then sweeping someone else isnt a good sign... but on the bright side the Jays have won 4 in a row now with a 11-3 pounding of the O's

4 out of 5. They lost the other day to the Oriles before beating them yesterday and split the mini series.

I agree its not a godo sign and to me it reeks of overconfidence. They swing the bats well agaisnt Boston, and then see oh look at these no name Pitchers the A's are gonan throw at us it'l be easy, so they don't bother to make adjustments and the no name pitchers win the battles. Happened last year, and was something I hope they would fix with their new attitude at training camp.

4 out of 5. They lost the other day to the Oriles before beating them yesterday and split the mini series.

I agree its not a godo sign and to me it reeks of overconfidence. They swing the bats well agaisnt Boston, and then see oh look at these no name Pitchers the A's are gonan throw at us it'l be easy, so they don't bother to make adjustments and the no name pitchers win the battles. Happened last year, and was something I hope they would fix with their new attitude at training camp.

i never saw highlights monday so i assumed it was the normal monday off day... and wtf was with those mini-series? since when do they play different teams on tuesdays than wednesday.... i dont remember ever seeing that before

Burnett blew it in relief last night...I wish he was tradeable...

In his defence, its pretty tough consdiering he threw a side game yesterday and went into the game having zero thought of having to throw a ball. To have to run down to the bullpen and get ready in a hurry, when his arm isn't accustomed to doing that, I dont' think much blame can go to him for that. I'd put more blame on Gibbons for firing through relivers like they were going out of style and leaving his bullpen short. He shoudln't have brought Ryan in once the score was tied, he should have gone to Wolf who could have worked multiple innings and then gone to Ryan.

however, i do agree AJ has been a dissapointment. I don't blame JP for getting him because at the time he was desperate for a top end pitching and couldn't guess that Mcgown, Marcum and Litsch were that close. At the time it was looking like Mcgowan would never amount to anything. However, no its clear they could do without him and his salary. AJ does have an opt out clause in his contract that most expect him to take consdiering he never really wanted to be in Toronto in the first place. He desperatly wanted to go to St.Louis and really only went to Toronto because they were willing to shell out the big deal. However, the fact that is is already signed at over 11 mill per year might prompt him to stay. Even with the pitching market inflated burnett may be in tough to get anywhere around 11 mil on the open market.

Basicaly, there is a way to get AJ gone without trading him but its not clear if it will work.

Frank Thomas is no longer a jay :(

Full story: Here

Its too bad to see him go but hopefully this means some more playing time for Adam Lind. Matt Stairs will be DH and Shannon Stewart will be platooning LF with Adam Lind..thats what Im guessing.

Its too bad to see him go but hopefully this means some more playing time for Adam Lind. Matt Stairs will be DH and Shannon Stewart will be platooning LF with Adam Lind..thats what Im guessing.

yeah I read Adam Lind is has a minor injury so they just have to wait a little while to call him up

Is anybody else questioning the decision to let Reed Johnson go?

not really, just because I haven't really been watching the games as of late because of playoffs but what is it with letting go of Reed that you think is the proplem??

not really, just because I haven't really been watching the games as of late because of playoffs but what is it with letting go of Reed that you think is the proplem??

He plays hard and always seems to get on base...I am wondering why we would bring Stewart back...I am certainly O.K. with Stairs as a DH...I preferred when we had Catalanotto and Reed platooning over Stewart and Lind...

He plays hard and always seems to get on base...I am wondering why we would bring Stewart back...I am certainly O.K. with Stairs as a DH...I preferred when we had Catalanotto and Reed platooning over Stewart and Lind...

I really think when Lind comes back from his injury he will bring something to this team if they call him up...but I was excited to see Stewart coming back but then when I heard they cut Johnson I thought it was a bad move...but hey this team has other things to worry about...

Gibbons is an idiot and doesnt deserve to be coaching. How many times does a coach get into a big brawl with one of his players? Gibbons has been doing that alot the last few years and making poor coaching decisions in games. I cant wait till that guy is fired. Hopefully its sooner rather than later.

Gibbons is an idiot and doesnt deserve to be coaching. How many times does a coach get into a big brawl with one of his players? Gibbons has been doing that alot the last few years and making poor coaching decisions in games. I cant wait till that guy is fired. Hopefully its sooner rather than later.

A year or two ago I would have disagreed, but I'm slowly losing faith in both JP and Gibbons. The way Ted Rogers is throwing money at JP should result in atleast having a competitive team. Being the sixth highest spender in the AL, they should be within atleast 1 game of either the Wild Card or Division. (Aof April 24th at 5:00PM, The Jays sit 3.5 games back in the wild card and 4 of their division) (This year's payroll is $97,793,900 with the Yanks, Tigers, Red Sox, Angels, and Mariners spending more then them)

It is time for both Riccardi and Gibbons to HIT THE ROAD. AUDIOS. I still DO NOT understand why they would keep Stewart and get rid of Johnson. Reed ALWAYS hustled, I am not blaming the season so far on one move but I think it was a BAD ONE.

so roadunner what did gibbons do now...been to busy watching playoffs

he benched Frank Thomas whose been doing the most damage so far. Wanted to use Stairs at DH instead of Thomas which I dont get.

Thomas wasnt happy about it (I wouldnt be either) mouthed off Gibbons, they got into a bit of a fight and Gibbons cut him from the team.

Thomas is now back in Oakland with the Athletics.

he benched Frank Thomas whose been doing the most damage so far. Wanted to use Stairs at DH instead of Thomas which I dont get.Thomas wasnt happy about it (I wouldnt be either) mouthed off Gibbons, they got into a bit of a fight and Gibbons cut him from the team.

Thomas is now back in Oakland with the Athletics.

Thomas has been sucking...Stairs will be a better DH...

I'm actually happy with Ricciardo and Gibbons...I would like to see the players perform better...

I'm actually happy with Ricciardo and Gibbons...I would like to see the players perform better...

I agree about Ricciardi. Gibbons, well I was very dissaointed in his decision making. I don't dislike Gibbons, mainly because I think he has been very key in the recent development of the some of the Jays young talent. However, I still am not convinced he is a MLB manager. His decion making tends to cost the Jays between 3-6 victories per season mainly due to his overal poor handling of pitching. He tends to leave the Halladys and Burnett's in too long, Halladay ok i understand but Burnett no, and can often overpitche his starters. then he'll fire through relivers to get matchups, in a 1 run game, and if the offence gets it back he has to overuse a guy like Ryan that hurts him long run and can lose them the game. I also felt last season he installed the wrong attitude. He seemed to assume in April/May that the Jays were going to be contenders. He constantly sat his guys saying, "oh we'll need them later in the season". Well gibby your team has to get there before you can need players.

this year i'm keeping an open mind but so far only so /so. I agree with you Priest that I would put mroe blame on the players thus far. No urgency.

you forgot to mention that Thomas usually starts the season off slow and then picks up as the season moves on. Im telling you, Thomas is going to come back and haunt the Jays with Oakland now. Stairs will not be a better DH.

you forgot to mention that Thomas usually starts the season off slow and then picks up as the season moves on. Im telling you, Thomas is going to come back and haunt the Jays with Oakland now. Stairs will not be a better DH.

yeah the only reason they got rid of Thomas was because they didn't want a slow start to the season...seems to me he wasn't the only proplem...

you are aware that if Thomas had 'x' number of at bats with teh Jays he was going to get a guaranteed 10 million for next year right?... plus if Thomas hadn't beeked off to the media after being benched for 1 game do you think he would have been released?... and Stairs is just as good as Thomas at this point in time... even last year Stairs has a higher average and a higher slugging percentage.... then despite Thomas having 180(ish) more at bats Stairs only had 5 fewer home runs

I keep hearing the term "slugging percentage". Can anyone explain what that means please?
slugging percentage is based on the average number of bases a player gets at each at bat... hypothetically if a players hits a home run every at bat of the season they would have a slugging percentage of 4.000