The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rosalie52

The Bluejays Nation

Learning that Marcum is out for the year, the Jay's focus should now be resigning Burnett or picking up a guy like Dempster.

As of right now the rotation would probably look something like this:

Halladay

McGowan

Litch

?

?

The question marks could be filled by guys like: Parrish, Purcey (Although I think he still needs a little longer to develop in the minors), Richmond. Or convert someone from the bullpin to the starting role. Possible options are: Downs, they're saying Tallet's an option, Carlson was once a starter, etc. An of coarse, before Jansen had tommy john surgery he was being groomed for a starting role.

What scares me the most about Jansen's and Marcum's Tommy John surgery is the BJ factor. Are they going to have the control which BJ hasn't when they come back? You know.. The type of control that sees BJ walking 3 batters to load the bases..

That would be the WORST case senarieo for Marcum because that's what he counts on day in and day out.

-----

And I don't care what you say! If Cito was here all year, the jays would be in a playoff spot! People have been saying for a while now that the Jays needed a class act for them to step up to the next level, and now they have it.

Under Gibbons, the Jays were 35-39.

With Cito managing, the Jays are 46-35. Who knows where they'd be sitting right now if Cito was managing all year.

Meh, baseball sux... and in particular the Jay's suck. Hell we get brainwashed with them worse than the Leafs.

GO FLAMES GO!!!!

:P

Meh, baseball sux... and in particular the Jay's suck. Hell we get brainwashed with them worse than the Leafs.

GO FLAMES GO!!!!

:P

if you don't like baseball don't read a thread on baseball

Bah if you love baseball so much don't post on a hockey board!

;)

Seriously... Jay's suck, and the media brainwashing on them is 10x worse than the Leafs and THAT is saying something.

;)

Seriously... Jay's suck, and the media brainwashing on them is 10x worse than the Leafs and THAT is saying something.

brainwashing? get real... they are the only Canadian team... of course they will get covered first... its just common sense

;)

Like Lunatik said, their bound to get that much coverage being the only baseball team in Canada. And when the company that owns them is one of the top broadcasters in Canada of course they are gonna get coverage.

And I don't get where the media brainwashing comes from. We've been told for years that the best the Jays can hope for is meaningful games in September and thats all they've been recently. I can't think of many people/media that were picking the Jays to make the playoffs this year.

Not a Jays fan in the least, but seriously...the same story EVERY year with them. They're always in that situation where if they had won five more games, they'd be right in the thick of things. The whole "what could have been" or "look at the potential this team has" cliche.

They always have been (for the last three - four seasons) a power-hitter away from a playoff appearence. This year they could have easily made the playoffs if not for a lack of offense that hurt them early in the season. With Halladay and Burnett starting almost half of the games in a season (66-68), that opens up a lot of promise. However, as a die hard Red Sox fan, I'm stoked to see the Blue Jays continue to be a horribly run franchise that never seems to capitalize on its potential.

Sorry I have to say this.

Jays - bout 8 years or so of failing to capitalize on potential.

Red Sox - Bout 85 years of failing to capitalize on potential. ^_^

I actually like the Sox, but that was too good to pass up.

Not a Jays fan in the least, but seriously...the same story EVERY year with them. They're always in that situation where if they had won five more games, they'd be right in the thick of things. The whole "what could have been" or "look at the potential this team has" cliche.

They always have been (for the last three - four seasons) a power-hitter away from a playoff appearence. This year they could have easily made the playoffs if not for a lack of offense that hurt them early in the season. With Halladay and Burnett starting almost half of the games in a season (66-68), that opens up a lot of promise. However, as a die hard Red Sox fan, I'm stoked to see the Blue Jays continue to be a horribly run franchise that never seems to capitalize on its potential.

Sorry I have to say this.

Jays - bout 8 years or so of failing to capitalize on potential.

Red Sox - Bout 85 years of failing to capitalize on potential.

I guess your definition of "failing to capitalize on potential" means winning the World Series, in which case it's 15 years o failing to capitalize on potential for the Blue Jays. However, my definition (which was the original) of "failing to capitalize on potential" refers to missing the playoffs, something the Blue Jays have done 15 straight years while the Red Sox are going on, what, 11 appearences in the last 15 years and trying for their third World Series in 5 years?

The Blue Jays organization has failed to add the missing pieces when necessary -- when they had offense (i.e., Delgado, Green, etc...) they had mediocre pitching. Now with the likes of Halladay and Burnett, and the promising Litsch and Marcum, the Jays have inverted their problem -- now they have no offense. Even with healthy years from everybody they would not have had enough offense to earn them a postseason birth. Initally, they were relying on Thomas for 25-30 HRs and 90-100 RBIs and gave up on him early in the season. That's a huge void to fill...one that cost the Blue Jays a chance at the post season.

I guess your definition of "failing to capitalize on potential" means winning the World Series, in which case it's 15 years o failing to capitalize on potential for the Blue Jays. However, my definition (which was the original) of "failing to capitalize on potential" refers to missing the playoffs, something the Blue Jays have done 15 straight years while the Red Sox are going on, what, 11 appearences in the last 15 years and trying for their third World Series in 5 years?

Now I actually meant not meeting potential. Thats why I said "about" 85 years. The did have some good years.

It was also meant tounge and cheek, but take it personally if you want.

And actually they are working on their 8th in the last 15 years and before that, had made the playoffs 3 times in 20 years.

The Blue Jays organization has failed to add the missing pieces when necessary -- when they had offense (i.e., Delgado, Green, etc...) they had mediocre pitching. Now with the likes of Halladay and Burnett, and the promising Litsch and Marcum, the Jays have inverted their problem -- now they have no offense. Even with healthy years from everybody they would not have had enough offense to earn them a postseason birth. Initally, they were relying on Thomas for 25-30 HRs and 90-100 RBIs and gave up on him early in the season. That's a huge void to fill...one that cost the Blue Jays a chance at the post season.

And if you read the thread you'll see that I agree with this and no where do I call the Jays a great team. In fact I admit they are not ready or that close. But like I said it was a joke.

Fair enough, but as a die hard Sox fan I will fight any and all to the death in defense of my team. :D

Sox are actually my second favorite team and a favorite of my dad's so you won't see me knocking them unless there is some kind of fun involved. Seeing a Sox game at Fenway park is up there as far as things i've done in my life.

Yep, I've been to Fenway. Went there back in 05 to see them play the Devil Rays...what an experience. I usually get my Red Sox fix every year by taking a weekend trip out to Toronto and going to a couple games...it's usually very cheap and you get great seats.

Yeah. Believe it or not it was about the same to go to Boston and see a Sox-Jays game as it was to go to Toronto and see a game. But Fenway alone was worth the trip. I also went to Yankee stadium and as cool as it was, I have to admit Fenway>>>>>>> than Yankee Stadium

Sox are actually my second favorite team and a favorite of my dad's so you won't see me knocking them unless there is some kind of fun involved. Seeing a Sox game at Fenway park is up there as far as things i've done in my life.

Yep, I've been to Fenway. Went there back in 05 to see them play the Devil Rays...what an experience. I usually get my Red Sox fix every year by taking a weekend trip out to Toronto and going to a couple games...it's usually very cheap and you get great seats.

Yeah. Believe it or not it was about the same to go to Boston and see a Sox-Jays game as it was to go to Toronto and see a game. But Fenway alone was worth the trip. I also went to Yankee stadium and as cool as it was, I have to admit Fenway>>>>>>> than Yankee Stadium
and Wrigley >>>>>>> all

Really? I've sat in near-identical seats in both Fenway and Roger's center and it was always at least 30% cheaper to see the game in Toronto. I actually liked Yankee Stadium but Fenway is a classic. Virtually unbeatable.

and Wrigley >>>>>>> all

Wrigley is right up there with Fenway. Great park. ^_^

Really? I've sat in near-identical seats in both Fenway and Roger's center and it was always at least 30% cheaper to see the game in Toronto. I actually liked Yankee Stadium but Fenway is a classic. Virtually unbeatable.

Tickets were about the same. Boston was a little more but not too much. However the flights, believe it or not, were actually cheaper so that balanced it out.

Wrigley is right up there with Fenway. Great park. ^_^
If I could only see 2 buildings before I die... its those 2... George Bush all the ruins all over the world... Wrigley and Fenway would be better than all... and on that note... Go Cubbies, Dodgers and Mets :D

god I hate the AL :lol:

I hate the NL. :P
I ahould have worded it better... I only really like 4 teams... the 3 NL teams I mentioned and the Jays... I probably hate more NL teams overall but for some odd reason I like those 3... I think I like the Cubbies because they are the lovable losers... the Mets is because of Delgado... and the Dodgers I have always liked although I hate them having Manny... the rest of the NHL teams my reaction is 'meh' at best... I despise Arizona, San Fransisco, Pittsburgh, Atlanta, Philly, Florida, Houston & Washington... in the AL while I only cheer for Toronto I really only despise the Yankees, Orioles & White Sox

I haven't been keeping up with this thread.

All I want to add is JP is a idiot, and until he is gone this team will fail.

When you give guys like Reed Johnson away for free, your an idiot.

Like like Vancouver with Luongo, Toronto is ruining Halladay by not building a winner around him.

Looks like they're also preparing a contract offer for Burnett.
i love it... i hope they also make a pitch for Dempster this winter... since the Marcum is done and I don't think McGowan will be ready in the first 1/2 of the season

Not sure Burnett will accept. He's had a career year, and with starting pitching being such a hot commodity, he may test the market before committing to Toronto, if he commits to them at all.