The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rosalie52

The Bluejays Nation

Not sure Burnett will accept. He's had a career year, and with starting pitching being such a hot commodity, he may test the market before committing to Toronto, if he commits to them at all.

I agree. I wouldn't break the bank for Burnett. YOu kow he was awesome this year, but how many times have we seen success in contract years? I have heavy doubts he'll pitch that well next season. I know Cito helped, but its been AJ's MO for his career.

I would like to keep him, but only at a modest raise. I would say no more than say about 13 million, on maybe more years, then i'm ok with that. I am also underthe belief that no pitcher on the Jays staff should make more than Halladay. He comes it at about 14 mill. Burnett could easily look at more than that on the open market. Especially considering the more free spending club in the league has already come out and said he is their top priority/most coveted pitcher on the market.

It would be great to see AJ show a little loyalty. I mean the Jays gave him the big deal he wanted when no one else would. They've defended him through his injury problems and still paid him well. They havn't moved him when many pundits stuggested they should. They didn't even move him at the deadline where they coudl have moved him to any team they wanted to. Plus Cito/Arnsberg seem to have gotten more out of him than all his coaches in the past. I don't view it as he owes the Jays anything, because I think it would be a great gesture to stay.

Gaston went against the grain and suggested that he'd like either Giambi or Bradley next year. I'd like the idea of Milton Bradley in a Toronto uniform. If he stays healthy, you can expect an average >.300 with 20ish home runs. Although, Bradley is often hurt and would probably miss 40+ games a year.

With Giambi, you're looking at a full time DH that hits 30+ HRs and is often around the 100 RBI mark. Since joining the Yankees in 2002, he's been hitting around .250 consistantly, which we know JP isn't much of players like that (after the Adam Dunn comments.) Though, I believe if Giambi came to TO Gaston and the crew could improve the average to the .280 mark which he's proven he can do with Oakland when he hit consistently at the .300+ mark. In the end, I don't really see Giambi leaving NY seeing as he's pretty popular there. And when it comes down to it, he's probably out of the Jays' price range, esspecially if they throw a bunch of money at a pitcher.

Gaston went against the grain and suggested that he'd like either Giambi or Bradley next year. I'd like the idea of Milton Bradley in a Toronto uniform. If he stays healthy, you can expect an average >.300 with 20ish home runs. Although, Bradley is often hurt and would probably miss 40+ games a year.

With Giambi, you're looking at a full time DH that hits 30+ HRs and is often around the 100 RBI mark. Since joining the Yankees in 2002, he's been hitting around .250 consistantly, which we know JP isn't much of players like that (after the Adam Dunn comments.) Though, I believe if Giambi came to TO Gaston and the crew could improve the average to the .280 mark which he's proven he can do with Oakland when he hit consistently at the .300+ mark. In the end, I don't really see Giambi leaving NY seeing as he's pretty popular there. And when it comes down to it, he's probably out of the Jays' price range, esspecially if they throw a bunch of money at a pitcher.

has Giambi proven anything since getting off the juice?... I would pass on him... but Bradley is interesting

I'd pass on both personally. Giambi is a little overrated IMo and Bradely brings a questionable attitude at times.

I've been harping on it, but I till thin Texiera is the guy for this team. Solid all around individuals great home run power and can switch hit which could help the jays with their left handed batter situation.

Plus, I don't think he'll come as expensive as a Giambi because he doesn't carry the same pedigre.

has Giambi proven anything since getting off the juice?... I would pass on him...

I would say so. He had 32 HRs this season and 96 RBIs. Which are both considerably higher than any Jays player this year.

But I have to agree on the "passing on him" comment. Way out of the Jays' price range.

I'd pass on both personally. Giambi is a little overrated IMo and Bradely brings a questionable attitude at times.

I've been harping on it, but I till thin Texiera is the guy for this team. Solid all around individuals great home run power and can switch hit which could help the jays with their left handed batter situation.

Plus, I don't think he'll come as expensive as a Giambi because he doesn't carry the same pedigre.

I have agreed that Texiera is the guy from when you first sugested it, and I would love it if JP could pick him up and have everything else work fairly nicely with Overbay. After this past September, I believe that Lind/Snider sharing left field and DH would work rather nicely next year, so I wouldn't be upset if they didn't pick up a guy like Bradley.

It's really unfortunate that a guy like Marcum will be out for all of next year and McGowan, from what I hear, will be out for a month or so to begin the season.. This really changes the Jays' have to evaluate what they need for next season.. It's going to force them to thin out the money a little more from what it looked like it would be a month ago, just power hitters.. Now they have to search for some Starting Pitching, as well.

I would say so. He had 32 HRs this season and 96 RBIs. Which are both considerably higher than any Jays player this year.

But I have to agree on the "passing on him" comment. Way out of the Jays' price range.

I have agreed that Texiera is the guy from when you first sugested it, and I would love it if JP could pick him up and have everything else work fairly nicely with Overbay. After this past September, I believe that Lind/Snider sharing left field and DH would work rather nicely next year, so I wouldn't be upset if they didn't pick up a guy like Bradley.

It's really unfortunate that a guy like Marcum will be out for all of next year and McGowan, from what I hear, will be out for a month or so to begin the season.. This really changes the Jays' have to evaluate what they need for next season.. It's going to force them to thin out the money a little more from what it looked like it would be a month ago, just power hitters.. Now they have to search for some Starting Pitching, as well.

he hasn't prove he can hit for power and average though... that was my point... personally i think a guy hitting .300+ with 20 HR is more valuable than a 30+ HR guys with a .250 average

he hasn't prove he can hit for power and average though... that was my point... personally i think a guy hitting .300+ with 20 HR is more valuable than a 30+ HR guys with a .250 average

For Wells to be truly effective, you need a guy that hits behind him in the line up that hits 30+ HRs. With a guy like Giambi, it'll insure he sees more pitches, which hasn't been the case since Glaus left.

For Wells to be truly effective, you need a guy that hits behind him in the line up that hits 30+ HRs. With a guy like Giambi, it'll insure he sees more pitches, which hasn't been the case since Glaus left.

I agree. The Jays have enough decent avg hitters. Hill is a .290-300 guy when Healthy. Same with Rios, Wells, Rolen should be back there next year as well. Overbay, when on his game, is a .280 guy. Lind is looking like a .300 guy.They just need someone who they can stick in cleanup and will belt 30+ hrs for them and let the other guys see more pitches. Glaus is a great point and I think its no coincidence Wells had one of his best season. IMO, Wells is one of the better 3 hold hitters in the game, but only average as a cleanup hitter.

The Jays just need power. I don't think your point is a bad one Lunatik because normally I would agree. However, in the case of the Jays I think its different.

and they have that when Rolen is not plagued by injury

I agree. The Jays have enough decent avg hitters. Hill is a .290-300 guy when Healthy. Same with Rios, Wells, Rolen should be back there next year as well. Overbay, when on his game, is a .280 guy. Lind is looking like a .300 guy.They just need someone who they can stick in cleanup and will belt 30+ hrs for them and let the other guys see more pitches. Glaus is a great point and I think its no coincidence Wells had one of his best season. IMO, Wells is one of the better 3 hold hitters in the game, but only average as a cleanup hitter.

The Jays just need power. I don't think your point is a bad one Lunatik because normally I would agree. However, in the case of the Jays I think its different.

as I just said above I think people are forgetting Rolen can be that 30+ HR guy... he was not healthy this season give him a full year and he will be great protection for Wells

as I just said above I think people are forgetting Rolen can be that 30+ HR guy... he was not healthy this season give him a full year and he will be great protection for Wells

Rolen really isn't a true HR threat anymore, at least not enough to bat cleanup. I think its also a bit of a reach to think Rolen will come back healthy. I still like the guy, but this shoulder injury is going on 2 seasons now and he said last spring training it was the best it had ever felt. Rolen was never a good cleanup guy anyway, and with his age/injury status, I don't see that returning. I see about 20 hr's but not 30 plus. .300 with 20 HRs would be a great season for Rolen.

The day Rolen could hit 30 HRs came and left 5 years ago. Even if Rolen stays healthy, you'd be lucky to get 20 HRs out of him. When the Jays' traded for Rolen, they knew he wasn't going to hit 30ish HRs a year. This guy is on the down swing of his career who's a rock defensively.

IMO, Teixeira or Bradley is they way to go, not praying that Rolen returns to his pre shoulder injury form.

---

On another note, how 'bout TSN's/Sportsnet's scouting report on Travis Snider..

Assets -- Has great offensive potential, complete with both power and the ability to hit for a high average.

Flaws-- Is not adept in the outfield, doesn't run well and has no true position to call his own.

Career potential -- An everyday DH.

From what I saw while he was up in the bigs, he made one hell of a left fielder. Dare I say some Vernon Wells type of catches?

The day Rolen could hit 30 HRs came and left 5 years ago. Even if Rolen stays healthy, you'd be lucky to get 20 HRs out of him. When the Jays' traded for Rolen, they knew he wasn't going to hit 30ish HRs a year. This guy is on the down swing of his career who's a rock defensively.

IMO, Teixeira or Bradley is they way to go, not praying that Rolen returns to his pre shoulder injury form.

---

On another note, how 'bout TSN's/Sportsnet's scouting report on Travis Snider..

Assets -- Has great offensive potential, complete with both power and the ability to hit for a high average.

Flaws-- Is not adept in the outfield, doesn't run well and has no true position to call his own.

Career potential -- An everyday DH.

From what I saw while he was up in the bigs, he made one hell of a left fielder. Dare I say some Vernon Wells type of catches?

I'd call into question that scouting report. Not only from what I saw of him, but i've heard more adept baseball analysts call Snider a 5 tool prospect who has it all. And alot of knowledgable Jays fans I know are excited for Snider becuase he is supposibly a way better fielder than Lind.

I thought he should Rios/Wells potential when he played. Definetly 5 tool calibre.

I've been looking through the Jay's prospects and they're top catching prospect, J.P. Arencibia, tied Alex Rodriguez's high school career home run record at their old high school. Some how I doubt he'll ever even get close to the amount of Home Runs A Rod puts up per season, it's still kinda intresting. Although, he probably wont be up in the majors full time for another year or two if he continues at his current rate of development.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm looking forward to the 2009 World Baseball Classic.. We should have a good team this year if most of our major leaguers show up and play for their National team.

It might look something like this

C- Russell Martin

1B-Justin Morneau

2B-

3B- Joey Votto (?)

SS-

LF- Jason Bay

CF-

RF- Matt Stairs

Not exactly sure how many pitchers per team but the list could include the likes of:

P-Jeff Francis

P-

Sorry to burst your bubble, but Tampa is going to sweep Boston. ^_^

I highly doubt that. With Jon Lester and Dice-K Matsuzaka pitching a combined 4 games in this series, odds are good the Red Sox will at least win a couple games in this series, if not win the series itself. ;)

I highly doubt that. With Jon Lester and Dice-K Matsuzaka pitching a combined 4 games in this series, odds are good the Red Sox will at least win a couple games in this series, if not win the series itself. ;)

Did I say sweep? I ment in 5 :P

The Toronto Blue Jays welcomed back a familiar face on Tuesday, appointing Paul Beeston as chief executive officer of the club on an interim basis.

The team says Beeston will assume responsibility for the day-to-day operations of the baseball club and Rogers Centre effective immediately.

''I have a great deal of respect for the Rogers organization and when I was asked to step in, I couldn't say no,'' Beeston said. ''I look forward to this assignment, even though it's short term.''

http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/story/?id=252620&amp...s=secStory_main

I wish he was here full time <_<

Insane comeback tonight. Down 7 runs in the bottom of the 7th and the sox managed to pull a win out of god knows what orifice.

I don't think we'll win the series but this was one crazy game.

Insane comeback tonight. Down 7 runs in the bottom of the 7th and the sox managed to pull a win out of god knows what orifice.

I don't think we'll win the series but this was one crazy game.

I don't want to talk aboot it :P

Well it was a good series..

I considered this the world series since the winner between these 2 teams would go on to take the championship.

Congrats to the rays for having the leagues lowest payroll yet winning it all.

E.Lo is a beast.