The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Schilling's Famous Bloody Sock Questioned

Gary thorne, the guy who made the acquisation, has already come out and said he misinterpreted what Mirabelli said. It was genuine and thorne was wrong.

I still don't see what the big deal is. Cliff ronning played almost the entire 94 playoffs with a broken wrist. Ronnie Lott had his finger amputed so he could play a playoff game. Kevin Lowe played with Broken ribs. Phaneuf, Crosby, Pronger have all played with broken feet.

This guy has some blood on his sock and he is suppose to be a hero? I respect him for what he did, but this shouldn't be that big of a deal.

This guy has some blood on his sock and he is suppose to be a hero? I respect him for what he did, but this shouldn't be that big of a deal.

Then from the article:

team doctors jury-rigged a tendon in his right ankle to keep it from flopping around.

I wouldn't exactly say it was just "some blood".

Then from the article:

I wouldn't exactly say it was just "some blood".

I know it was a significant injury, but i'm just saying that IMO it doens't deserve all the attention. if he was a football of hockey player, it wouldn't be a story. but its baseball and they rarely play hurt so it becomes this national human interest story. I'm not trying to downplay what he did, I just odn't think it deserves the reaction it got. hockey and football players have played with far serious injuries and get no media time for it.

This isn't a big deal... until it was discovered that it was a FAKE! If he played with a bloody sock, woopee-do. If he faked it, wooo we've got ourselves a story!

I know it was a significant injury, but i'm just saying that IMO it doens't deserve all the attention. if he was a football of hockey player, it wouldn't be a story. but its baseball and they rarely play hurt so it becomes this national human interest story. I'm not trying to downplay what he did, I just odn't think it deserves the reaction it got. hockey and football players have played with far serious injuries and get no media time for it.

They do? Schilling, as a pitcher, playing with a split tendon in one of his feet--especially the one he pushes off the mound with--is like Tom Brady playing with a broken arm. It's an incredibly significant injury.

And actually, players play hurt in Baseball FAR more than they do in Football or Hockey. As a matter of fact, more injuries occured in baseball last year than Hockey and Football combined. Remember, there 162 games in a season, and they play at least 6 games a week; sometimes they'll play a dozen straight days. You should show more respect for the sport.

The sock story deserved the attention given the circumstances; the Red Sox were taking it to their archrival Yankees and on the verge of tying the series after being down 0-3 in that game, the team name "Red Sox" metaphorically reiterated on Schilling's sock, and his foot being barely held together...it was one of the gutsiest performances in all of sports history. Period.