The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cody1774

Barry Bonds' Quest For Hr Record

As many of you probably know, Barry Bonds is very close to breaking Hank Aaron's career home run record of 744. In this TSN article, it is described that only 40% of the public are rooting for him to break the record. Personally, I'm ambivalent to what happens since Barry is one of the biggest losers in professional sports; I wouldn't be happy or sad if he breaks the record. The troubling thing about the article is that support for Barry seems to depend on whether you're black or white. It shows that America still has a long way to go for racial equality...

That is his excuse...

I couldn't care less on the colour of his skin.

The reason only 40% of the public is rooting for him is because he was caught doing performance enhancing drugs. I think it would be a completely different story if he was never caught/never did drugs.

Your right, its sad and pathetic that this is quickly becoming yet another racial issue. I personally am cheering for Bonds to break the record (any I'm white so go figure). Nothing has been proven definitely. I know many will argue it has, but I havent seen any definite proof, he wasnt caught with it in his system. And besides, even if he was, at that time there was no rule against it. Sure it may be unethical but if all of your competitors are doing it and the sport doesnt care, you almost need to do it just to get back onto even ground. How can you label a guy a cheater when he didnt break any rules? And another thing, if the hitters were on steroids, do people really believe that the pitchers werent on steroids too? Maybe Roger Clemens should be questioned too, because I find it hard to believe that one side of the equation never did anything to level the playing field. Barry Bonds hitting homeruns while using steroids off a pitcher using steroids is the same as a steroid-less Hank Aaron hitting homeruns off of a clean pitcher.

Isn't there a debate on whether or not they should put a * next to his name in the record books?

The reason only 40% of the public is rooting for him is because he was caught doing performance enhancing drugs. I think it would be a completely different story if he was never caught/never did drugs.

He was officially caught? As far as I know it's still that he allegedly used performance enhancing substances. Therefore he has yet to be caught, which is why he is still hitting home runs. For this reason my problem is more with MLB then with Barry Bonds.

The record is like comparing apples to oranges in my opinion. Sure Bonds is on steroids and has that advantage but Hank Arron and Babe Ruth were playing ball in an early era that was alot different. Less dominating pitchers ect. I personally don't like Bonds but I believe that had Arron or Ruth played in the 80's or 90's they wouldn't have dominated the spork like they did in there eras.

He was officially caught? As far as I know it's still that he allegedly used performance enhancing substances. Therefore he has yet to be caught, which is why he is still hitting home runs. For this reason my problem is more with MLB then with Barry Bonds.

Sorry my bad

I always figured he was caught.

Sorry my bad

I always figured he was caught.

I can see why you thought so. I am not a Doctor, so I don't know what exactly they need to prove it, but come on, isn't it obvious? I don't know, that's why I am po'ed at MLB right now.

Actually, he was caught in the Balco scandle.

Claims to "not have known". There is so much evidence looking him right in the eye its not even funny. Countless books and articles sighting even his feet have grown. Just look at pictrues of Bonds ten years ago and now. I'm sorry, but you don't start to hit more home runs as you age unless something unnatural is going on.

He did it, and i think its embarassing that he is going to break a record like this. I know what he did wasn't illegal, or against the rules, but i just can't stand this situation.

I don't think its a racial thing whatsoever. It is likely more to do with the average Joe's perception of performance-enhancing chemicals by baseball players generally, and Barry Bonds in particular. Unfortunately, whether he was caught or not is irrelevant to the casual observer...

Actually, he was caught in the http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2004/12/03/MNGGFA0UDU65.DTL' target="_blank">Balco[/post] scandle.

Claims to "not have known". There is so much evidence looking him right in the eye its not even funny. Countless books and articles sighting even his feet have grown. Just look at pictrues of Bonds ten years ago and now. I'm sorry, but you don't start to hit more home runs as you age unless something unnatural is going on.

He did it, and i think its embarassing that he is going to break a record like this. I know what he did wasn't illegal, or against the rules, but i just can't stand this situation.

:blink: Arent steroids illegal?

Actually, he was caught in the http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2004/12/03/MNGGFA0UDU65.DTL' target="_blank">Balco[/post] scandle.

The problem with the Balco scandel is that there wasn't anything really in place re: Performance Enchancers. MLB knew there was something up when Sosa and MaGuire had that amazing slug-fest, but wanted to ignore it because it was the best thing for baseball in a long time. It was after the Balco mess whrn MLB finally realized there was a problem, and it was getting worse. So they got strict with their performance enhancing drugs policy, and ever since Bonds has been apparently clean.

And I could be wrong, but the magical word I always hear in regards to Barry's steroid use is, alledgely.

The problem with the Balco scandel is that there wasn't anything really in place re: Performance Enchancers. MLB knew there was something up when Sosa and MaGuire had that amazing slug-fest, but wanted to ignore it because it was the best thing for baseball in a long time. It was after the Balco mess whrn MLB finally realized there was a problem, and it was getting worse. So they got strict with their performance enhancing drugs policy, and ever since Bonds has been apparently clean.

And I could be wrong, but the magical word I always hear in regards to Barry's steroid use is, alledgely.

the problem with Balco is that they are performance enahncers, but they were syntheic and couldn't be detected. Jesse Gatlin and Tim Montgomery were both banned from using steroids linked to Balco. they now would be classified as steroids, and Bonds took them (as he admitted). there is little doubt he took steroids, but people are still trying to shoot down his "i did it unintentionally bit" by trying to show that he was heavy into steroids use. the Balco scandle didn't confirm that, it just showed that he had taken them at one point.

Steroids are not illegal in MLB baseball, they are illegal everywhere else. therefore what Bonds did, even when he was found to have taken them at one point, wasn't illegal and thus there really isn't anything anyone can do.

Ray's Pitcher first to fail drug test on '07

NEW YORK (AP) -- Reliever Juan Salas of the Tampa Bay Devil Rays was suspended for 50 games Monday after becoming the first player this year to fail a drug test under Major League Baseball's testing program.

Salas tested positive for a performance-enhancing substance, the commissioner's office said. His suspension will start Tuesday.

That is his excuse...

I couldn't care less on the colour of his skin.

Would most fans be cheering McGwire if he was after the record now?

Would most fans be cheering McGwire if he was after the record now?

I wouldn't.

He admitted taking androstenedione

even if it is legal in the MLB I still think it's wrong.

I wouldn't.

He admitted taking androstenedione

even if it is legal in the MLB I still think it's wrong.

Exactly. Giving someone the finger isn't illegal. But it's still wrong. Just because something isn't illegal, doesn't mean it's right.

I could care less if Bonds gets to the record or not. I don't follow MLB because I hate the way the league is run. Their salary system is a crock as well. Half of the teams have no hope of making the playoffs because they can't afford any good players. Their steroid testing doesn't seem to great either, if everyone thinks that Bonds has done steroids and they have never caught him, either Bonds isn't doing steroids or their system for catching people doesn't work. I like baseball, I just have very little interest in MLB.

I could care less if Bonds gets to the record or not. I don't follow MLB because I hate the way the league is run. Their salary system is a crock as well. Half of the teams have no hope of making the playoffs because they can't afford any good players. Their steroid testing doesn't seem to great either, if everyone thinks that Bonds has done steroids and they have never caught him, either Bonds isn't doing steroids or their system for catching people doesn't work. I like baseball, I just have very little interest in MLB.

Not to change your mind, because i agree with most of what you are saying (even though I am a fan of baseball) but Bonds was caught using steroids that were synthetic and not detectable by most tests. Don't believe me? one of the toughest steroid policy comes from WADA and the IIHF and athletes such as Jesse Gatlin, and Tim Montgomery got away with them. Not to mention when Bonds was doing steroids, as is the case with most of baseball, it wasn't an illegal action it only is now. They didn't test until about a yea or so ago.

Not to change your mind, because i agree with most of what you are saying (even though I am a fan of baseball) but Bonds was caught using steroids that were synthetic and not detectable by most tests. Don't believe me? one of the toughest steroid policy comes from WADA and the IIHF and athletes such as Jesse Gatlin, and Tim Montgomery got away with them. Not to mention when Bonds was doing steroids, as is the case with most of baseball, it wasn't an illegal action it only is now. They didn't test until about a yea or so ago.

Oh, I understand now. I didn't really follow this carefully. I always thought that since he never got suspended he never got caught, but if it wasn't illegal when he got caught that's why he never got suspended. Thanks for clearing that up.

I love baseball but in my eyes, Barry Bonds is a cheater. He used steroids and there should be an asterisk beside his name. It says all you need to know about the issue when Hank Aarron said he won't be there when steroid boy breaks his record. Can't stand Bonds. He's arrogant and he's a CHEATER

I feel sorry for the Giants. If he's gonna break the record, the sooner, the better. That whole race is bigger than the game and it's not fair to the rest of the Giants' team.

I feel sorry for the Giants. If he's gonna break the record, the sooner, the better. That whole race is bigger than the game and it's not fair to the rest of the Giants' team.

Actually its probably a welcome distraction. That team is terrible and going absolutely nowhere. At least this way there is something going on to distract fans from the terrible baseball they are watching and a way for the owners to fill the seats. After Barry breaks the record expect to see Giant stadium half empty every game.