The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cfl Available In All U.s. Markets

CFL becoming more accessible to Americans that the NHL?

Hah, I came in here just to say that. That's just.... wow. I can't believe this.

I hope it gets better ratings... :lol: I wonder what those Americans will think of our version....

Does this mean the CFL would like to expand to Americaland :P?

The CFL did have one success with US expansion - Baltimore. It wouldn't surprise me to see another attempt at American expansion occur in the near future.

It is entirely possible that High School Football in the USA is probably just as popular as NHL hockey in the States, so it makes sense that pro football (even if it is a development league) and the CFL could be more shown in as many, if not more markets than the NHL.

Let me tell you this - nobody in the U.S. cares about the CFL.

Wrong.

http://www.oursportscentral.com/cflinamerica/[/post]

As good (or better) attendance in most places (with the exception of Las Vegas) than in the NHL in southern states...

In fact, Baltimore had the highest average attendance of all CFL teams in 1994 (37,347).

Wrong.

http://www.oursportscentral.com/cflinamerica/[/post]

As good (or better) attendance in most places (with the exception of Las Vegas) than in the NHL in southern states...

In fact, Baltimore had the highest average attendance of all CFL teams in 1994 (37,347).

First off, this thread is specifically titled "Cfl Available in All U.S. Markets" - referring to television coverage. Thus, my statement of nobody in the U.S. caring about the CFL is not refuted by your link of the U.S. expansion in 93-95. Americans love football, and if you give American cities a team, of course they are going to go to the games (especially when the ticket prices are next to nothing compared to an NFL game). However, to my knowledge, there are zero U.S. teams competing in the CFL. Do you think that people in Baltimore are going to tune into a game between the Hamilton Tiger-Cats and the Edmonton Eskimos? I sure don't.

Anyway, I do think there is potential to expand into the U.S., but it has to be done carefully. Perhaps this broadcasting push is a primer for a possible expansion into the U.S. in subsequent years... who knows.

EDIT: I have lived in the U.S. for about 10 years now, in various markets. I know some hardcore football fans across the country, and since I'm Canadian, the topic of the CFL comes up quite a bit. Almost every American brings up the following about the CFL:

-they don't like having 3 downs - no chance to get a good offensive drive

-the quality of players is terrible - they think D1 college teams could beat CFL teams

-Canada sucks

-the field and ball are bigger, who cares?

-they'd much rather watch nfl or college or high school

Let me tell you this - nobody in the U.S. cares about the CFL.

First off, this thread is specifically titled "Cfl Available in All U.S. Markets" - referring to television coverage. Thus, my statement of nobody in the U.S. caring about the CFL is not refuted by your link of the U.S. expansion in 93-95. Americans love football, and if you give American cities a team, of course they are going to go to the games (especially when the ticket prices are next to nothing compared to an NFL game). However, to my knowledge, there are zero U.S. teams competing in the CFL. Do you think that people in Baltimore are going to tune into a game between the Hamilton Tiger-Cats and the Edmonton Eskimos? I sure don't.

Your original post does nothing to provide any sort of evidence to the contrary. To claim that nobody in the U.S. cares about the CFL is akin to stating that you've seen one white sheep, so all sheep must be white.

On Thursday nights during the summer, a football fan in the USA may very well tune in a CFL game if there is nothing else of interest on television. My post showing the expansion of the CFL into the USA was intended to show the attendance for the three years during american expansion, and the general American interest in CFL football. Certainly it was not great, but attendance was definitely better than some U.S. NHL markets.

From my own experience: I went to San Francisco shortly after Garcia signed up there, and Steve Young had just retired making Garcia the starter. Approximately 1/3 of the people who I met asked me specifically about the Stampeders and Garcia's time with them - which honestly surprised the heck out of me. So while there might only be a passing interest in the CFL there is definitely still an interest, and it is unfair and untrue to paint Americans with the same brush.

I'm not saying (by any stretch of the imagination) that interest in the CFL is anywhere as high as the NFL. Heck, the XFL probably would have had slightly higher television ratings - albeit probably out of curiosity more than anything. I would imagine that the average american would tune into a CFL game between Toronto and Edmonton than an NHL game between the same cities. I'd also feel more confident that the football game wouldn't be interrupted for the world "Rock Paper Scissors" championships either...

I think they can generate some interest based on the fact that the majority of players are NCAA grads or are American. Since the NCAA is so popular down south it is a way that they can check up on the guys who were passed up by the NFL.