The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vick's Indictment

He broke the law, then proceeded to lie about it. That's enough for me. The punishment was sufficient.

Send him away for two years. Once he's done his time, however, if he can find employment in the NFL he should be allowed to come back. NFL's "justice" shouldn't trump the legal system.

In fact, if the NFL applies a suspension after he's served time, isn't that a crime in and of itself - discrimination due to a criminal record?

In fact, if the NFL applies a suspension after he's served time, isn't that a crime in and of itself - discrimination due to a criminal record?

It's part of their collective bargaining agreement, so no.

I suppose i just don't see value in the life of a dog; certainly not to the extent in which a person's livelihood should be taken away because of it. Animals are animals, humans are humans (maybe African Americans aren't considered humans in the USA?).

I agree Vick should go to prison but perhaps for 3 to 6 months only and also be banned from owning dogs again in the future.

I agree with everything you said.. I think the Western World have turned into a pet loving place so much so that we'll lock someone away for a good chunk of their life just to pay for what they've done to the animal.. I don't like when people compair animals to humans.. It's a TOTALLY different senario if someone were to have fights to the death with humans and if these people weren't preforming right, they'd just kill them. It sounds stupid after you actually think it over, doesn't it. I don't think Vick had anything to with the exectutions, but no one will ever know for sure. And this is the exact attitude I'm talking about (see quote below)!

You would not be put in jail for 2 years if you were forcing deer to fight each other.

IMO it's because as humans, we're supposed to be the guardians of these animals that we deem to be "pets". It's the same idea as being a guardian to a child - you wouldn't mistreat your child and you shouldn't mistreat your pet either - but I find a lot of people are more lax when it comes to the treatment of animals over children. I'm not trying to imply that they're equal, but it's really disappointing that people will treat their pets like crap when they're supposed to be the ones taking care of them because they're either not responsible enough or don't care enough but they wanted a pet "just to have a pet".

Send him away for two years. Once he's done his time, however, if he can find employment in the NFL he should be allowed to come back. NFL's "justice" shouldn't trump the legal system.

I'm sure that Miami will still be looking for a #1 QB by the time he's out, so I'd be more then happy to take him :P

I agree with everything you said.. I think the Western World have turned into a pet loving place so much so that we'll lock someone away for a good chunk of their life just to pay for what they've done to the animal.. I don't like when people compair animals to humans.. It's a TOTALLY different senario if someone were to have fights to the death with humans and if these people weren't preforming right, they'd just kill them. It sounds stupid after you actually think it over, doesn't it. I don't think Vick had anything to with the exectutions, but no one will ever know for sure. And this is the exact attitude I'm talking about (see quote below)!

You would not be put in jail for 2 years if you were forcing deer to fight each other.

I never once compared animals and humans fighting to the death and they are different scenarios, but the thought process behind them is no different and no less wrong. Regardless of what you think about the status of animals as compared to humans, a life is a life. I will never be able to understand the point of view that you put forth as I have seen the pain and suffering many pets endure at the hands of people or their owners, and it sickens me to the core to see it. I don't see pets as our equals by any means, but we are their guardians and acting otherwise is not right.

Killing a pet is not the same as killing a human, I don't think I ever said the contrary. But if Vick was responsible for the torture and murder of these animals then 2 years in prison is a fair sentance and in no way is harsh.

Oh, and wild animals fighting NATURALLY (such as deer) is a completely different scenario to domesticated animals being FORCED to fight. If you could domesticate deer, force them to fight and torture the ones that don't perform, then yes , you should be put in jail for 2 years as well.

Killing a pet is not the same as killing a human, I don't think I ever said the contrary. But if Vick was responsible for the torture and murder of these animals then 2 years in prison is a fair sentance and in no way is harsh.

I think the sentence is too light if anything. I grew up with dogs my whole life. Had a rottie as a child, and then ended up with 2 miniature schnauzers and a jack russell terrier, who all live with my parents now. And I can tell you, if anyone ever hurt any of my dogs, I would George Bush them up beyond recognition.

I wonder how Michael Vick would enjoy being electrocuted, or swung through the air and slammed into the ground repeatedly...

I wonder how Michael Vick would enjoy being electrocuted, or swung through the air and slammed into the ground repeatedly...

seeing he was a scrambling QB that happened lots!! :lol:

but now if he goes to rehab it might be lowered for only that year hmmm...something fishy is going on...