The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Favre Surpasses Marino

I love this, Farve was able to adapt his game and return to old form when everyone was calling for him to retire.

Mike McCarthy deserves alot of credit for that, but this is vintage Favre at his best. As a huge Packer fan its been amazing to watch him this season prove all those critics who thought he, and the packers, were done, wrong.

Mike McCarthy deserves alot of credit for that, but this is vintage Favre at his best. As a huge Packer fan its been amazing to watch him this season prove all those critics who thought he, and the packers, were done, wrong.

Do you think that Peyton Manning will eventually pass Favre?

Do you think that Peyton Manning will eventually pass Favre?

No, mainly becasue I don't see Manning playing till he is 36/37 which I think he would need to in order to pass Favre. No disrespect to Manning, but i don't think that he has the same passion/dedication to the game and winning as Favre. and again that is no insult because Favre is perhaps the most passionate man every to play the game. I just don't see Manning havn't that same level that I think he would need to not only play till he is 36, but also to play it at a high level.

No, mainly becasue I don't see Manning playing till he is 36/37 which I think he would need to in order to pass Favre. No disrespect to Manning, but i don't think that he has the same passion/dedication to the game and winning as Favre. and again that is no insult because Favre is perhaps the most passionate man every to play the game. I just don't see Manning havn't that same level that I think he would need to not only play till he is 36, but also to play it at a high level.

He might not have the same passion, but he sure as hell has the same dedication to his craft. I have no doubt that he will be around until at least 36-37, and he will be on top of that list by careers end.

Well, Favre sure made me eat my words when I kept yelling at him to retire, based on this season thus far. I used to be a huge Packers fan from 1997-2005, but things have really faded for me.

Nonetheless, congrats to Favre!

Favre is a great quarterback but I think his accomplishments are a little overhyped.

Part of the reason he has so many touchdowns is because the Packers throw the ball so much. A lot of this is because they haven't had a good RB since Levens was healthy. Also, Favre takes a lot of chances as his interception total demonstrates. He's a 'feast or famine' type of QB but certainly a gun sligger.

His biggest attribute is that he's so durable.

Honestly, I'd put Elway and Montana ahead of him on the all-time QB list. Also, I have no doubt that, barring a serious injury, Peyton Manning will eventually break all of the NFL QB records.

Favre is a great quarterback but I think his accomplishments are a little overhyped.

Part of the reason he has so many touchdowns is because the Packers throw the ball so much. A lot of this is because they haven't had a good RB since Levens was healthy. Also, Favre takes a lot of chances as his interception total demonstrates. He's a 'feast or famine' type of QB but certainly a gun sligger.

His biggest attribute is that he's so durable.

Honestly, I'd put Elway and Montana ahead of him on the all-time QB list. Also, I have no doubt that, barring a serious injury, Peyton Manning will eventually break all of the NFL QB records.

Uh,, They had Ahamn Green for 4 seasons who was one of the best RB in the leage and gave them a situation where they ran more than they threw.

I would actually counter that and say that its more impressive given that his career almost ended in Atlanta. He was wasting away on the bench until GB jumped in and gave him a shot. When you look at a guy like Manning, he came in or the sole purpose to be a starting QB and was given a shot right away. Favre had to earn his.

I think he is the most talented QB to play in the last few decades and if he had of worked with Homgrem from the start I think his numbers would be even better. it took him years to take his talent and work it into a game and become a true "QB". I still think Marino is the best QB ever, but i would put Favre a close second.

Uh,, They had Ahamn Green for 4 seasons who was one of the best RB in the leage and gave them a situation where they ran more than they threw.

I don't know if I'd call Ahman Green one of the best RB's in his time. He had some good seasons but was never really top 5 in the league.

I would actually counter that and say that its more impressive given that his career almost ended in Atlanta. He was wasting away on the bench until GB jumped in and gave him a shot. When you look at a guy like Manning, he came in or the sole purpose to be a starting QB and was given a shot right away. Favre had to earn his.

Yes, Favre had to earn what he's acheived. I'm not arguing that. I just think that his acheivements have been somewhat inflated.

I think he is the most talented QB to play in the last few decades and if he had of worked with Homgrem from the start I think his numbers would be even better. it took him years to take his talent and work it into a game and become a true "QB". I still think Marino is the best QB ever, but i would put Favre a close second.

Like I said, he is a great QB. Maybe his numbers would be better if he had Holmgren. Maybe Marino or Elway would have better numbers if they had good running games (notwithstanding the Terrell Davis years).

In any case, it's really a matter of perception. I congratulate him for breaking the TD record but if I'm not mistaken he's also second all-time for the interceptions record.

One thing I give Favre over Manning is his weapons, Favre has made a few receivers pro-bowlers. After they leave the Packers they seem to go downhill. Robert Brooks for one and recently Javon Walker. Peyton Manning has had Marvin Harrison for his whole career and Reggie Wayne recently, those 2 could make plays on any team, Dallas Clark is another good weapon. Without those guys I think Manning would still be one of the best in the league today, but having them and a good o-line have made him the best.

One thing I give Favre over Manning is his weapons, Favre has made a few receivers pro-bowlers. After they leave the Packers they seem to go downhill. Robert Brooks for one and recently Javon Walker. Peyton Manning has had Marvin Harrison for his whole career and Reggie Wayne recently, those 2 could make plays on any team, Dallas Clark is another good weapon. Without those guys I think Manning would still be one of the best in the league today, but having them and a good o-line have made him the best.

In general I agree, but Javon Walker had a very good season last year and was playing well this year before his injury. I think he's a legit WR.

Conversely, one could argue how good Harrison or Wayne would be without Manning. It'll be interesting to watch Stokley this year.

In general I agree, but Javon Walker had a very good season last year and was playing well this year before his injury. I think he's a legit WR.

Conversely, one could argue how good Harrison or Wayne would be without Manning. It'll be interesting to watch Stokley this year.

Yes, I just noticed stat wise it was pretty good, just I didn't recall hearing much about him last year.

Harrison had shown promise before Manning had arrived, Wayne's got a lot of talent. I agree they might not be as good as they are without Peyton, but that you never know. Stokley I believe just had a career year in '04 and really fed off of Manning's career best.

I love the emotion Favre puts into the game ... can't wait to see him again here on the Monday Nighter!

Whoa...And what a game that was! Favre an 82 yard bomb for a TD seconds into OT....What a player. Pack 6-1!

Whoa...And what a game that was! Favre an 82 yard bomb for a TD seconds into OT....What a player. Pack 6-1!

Who would've thought Green Bay would be 6-1? Not any of the experts, that's for sure...

Running game, schmunning game :P

Who would've thought Green Bay would be 6-1? Not any of the experts, that's for sure...

Running game, schmunning game :P

They had one tonight. over 100 yrds for Grant who looked very, very good doing it. Although the Broncos do have a pretty bad run D.

I am a huge packer fan who tied to tell people to watch out for the Pack, but even I wouldn't ahve guessed they would be 6-1. I would have been happy with 4-3 given the schedule.

They had one tonight. over 100 yrds for Grant who looked very, very good doing it. Although the Broncos do have a pretty bad run D.

I am a huge packer fan who tied to tell people to watch out for the Pack, but even I wouldn't ahve guessed they would be 6-1. I would have been happy with 4-3 given the schedule.

Who would of thought it would be the Packers and Lions battling for the division while the Bears and Vikings go for the cellar.