The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

beergirl 1 deleted

Cfl And Argos Ownership Pro Nfl?

I assume the Argos ownership is pro NFL under the condition that they are the ones who own the NFL team, if you look at it in that context it makes sense that they would be, you are bound infinitely more money with an NFL team than with a CFL team.

How would it bring an end to the CFL? Nobody outside of Toronto would be a huge fan of the team, and every other city would still want their crappy, second rate football.

Because is an NFL team is bound for Canada, which is begining to look more likely, a Canadian owenerships is better for the CFL than a none Canadian. If CFL owners own and operate an NFL team they can work it around the CFL and not try to take away fans from the CFL which is likely what an American owner would want to do. The idea is that by controlling the team they can run it side by side the CFL and have both teams successful. As a globe reporter put it, "best defence is a good offence". Don't let someone else own the team and drive the CFL down to get more fans.

First off, the death of CFL in Toronto (and introduction of NFL) would only mean two things: the Argos move to Halifax, and during the NFL season, every Sunday there can't be a CFL game on TV while the NFL team is playing...

Second, who in Toronto has the billion dollar expansion fee? I assume they could play in Skydome, so the arena isn't an issue.

Third, has the NFL changed their mind about the CFL / NFL coexisting?

I personally cant see Toronto supporting an NFL team, they rarely hit 30,000 in the CFL.

That's because its the CFL.................

First off, the death of CFL in Toronto (and introduction of NFL) would only mean two things: the Argos move to Halifax, and during the NFL season, every Sunday there can't be a CFL game on TV while the NFL team is playing...

Second, who in Toronto has the billion dollar expansion fee? I assume they could play in Skydome, so the arena isn't an issue.

Third, has the NFL changed their mind about the CFL / NFL coexisting?

I don't think the Argos would move to Halifax...there isn't a stadium there that holds more a few thousand people. The CFL is a gate driven league, a team could not make any money there.

Ted Rogers has the money for an expansion fee, and would make the money back quite quickly. Hoever, I don't know if Skydome is big enough...I believe it holds around 55.000 for football, and that would make it the smallest Stadium in the league, but that could probably be made up with higher ticket prices.

I agree it wouldn't be the death of the CFL, as they co-exist right now. It would just be the death of the Toronto Argonauts, so who gives a s***!

the buffalo bills average 15000 canadian fans attending their home games - that's roughly 1/4 of the capacity i believe.

bringing the nfl into canada, under canadian ownership, just means that the $8million dollars those 15000 fans are spending on tickets (not including food/drink) would be going into canadian pockets, creating canadian jobs.

I would like to see the NFL in Toronto. I don't think it would spell the end of the Argonauts necessarily. I think they could market around this to make both teams viable. Toronto is one of the largest metropolitan areas in North America, and people that cant score tickets to the NFL would probably buy CFL tickets still at a much cheaper price.

I for one would cheer for Toronto if the NFL came to Canada. That would be great! they would be Canada's team..just like in baseball and basketball. Im probably the only person in Calgary that would cheer for Toronto :P

*sigh* not the only one. I cheer for the Jays too. Even before the Expos left.

Even though my NFL team of choice stinks, I'd still kind of cheer for a TO football team as well.

*sigh* not the only one. I cheer for the Jays too. Even before the Expos left.

Even though my NFL team of choice stinks, I'd still kind of cheer for a TO football team as well.

You think your team sucks! The Dolphins are still looking for their first win of the season :P Down 10 points in the 4th quarter right now, it looks like they're going 0-10.

I'd support an NFL team in TO.. As for the Argos, I think they'd still surive but I don't think they'd do as well. I'd think it would be the same sort of deal as the Flames/Hitman.. The NFL team would get way more attention and a lot more people coming to the games, but the Argos would still do pretty decent for CFL standards.

I'm pretty sure it's impossible for Canada to have a NFL team. I remember reading somewhere that it violates a law, this is apparently governmental. To protect the CFL, no Canadian city is allowed to have an NFL team. The CFL would be completely ignored by hardcore NFL fans those who want to watch football on a bigger stage. The CFL does contribute economically so I see why such a thing would exist. I'll see if I can find more evidence of this.

It has been common knowledge that an NFL team in toronto would mean the end of th CFL in Canada so why on earth would Argos and league owners want to bring a team to T.O?

Because they would make more money with one NFL team than they would with all the teams in the CFL combined, times infinite.