The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cody1774

A-rod

During the Boston Red Sox's worlds series clinching game A-Rod and his agent put out a presser stating that he would choose to opt-out of his current contract with the New York Yankee's. This is totally classless and totally indefensible, he had ten days from the end of the world series to opt out, he is obviously trying to upstage the Red Sox's. I really like A-Rod he is a great player and I'll be glad to see him in a different uniform but this was ridiculous.

What a conceited @#$%. I hope he dont come near the money he had left on his Yankee's deal as a free agent. Playoff choke.

During the Boston Red Sox's worlds series clinching game A-Rod and his agent put out a presser stating that he would choose to opt-out of his current contract with the New York Yankee's. This is totally classless and totally indefensible, he had ten days from the end of the world series to opt out, he is obviously trying to upstage the Red Sox's. I really like A-Rod he is a great player and I'll be glad to see him in a different uniform but this was ridiculous.

Classless, perhaps, but I highly doubt he was trying to "upstage the Red Sox's" I imagine it was more along the lines of him wanting to opt out as soon as possible so he could get that out of the way,and have teams start bidding on him.

While i'm not a fan of Arod, I would put more blame on his agent than Arod. Scott Boras is classless and arogant and is the one the leaked the info, not Arod. Boras is the one who has basically told ARod opt out because you'll get almost 10 mill more per year and then tries to dress it up as he doens't know what the makeup of the Yankees is going to be.

I also think it was more to start generating excitmeent about his FA status than upstaging the Red Sox, but again I would blame Boras not Arod.

As long as he doesn't sign with my beloved Cubbies!

I wouldn't be suprised. they've got money and Pinella is apparantly pushing them hard to sgin him and he really enjoyed playing for Pinella. I wouldn't be suprised at all to see him sign with the Cubs.

I wouldnt mind him in Toronto...but I dont think that will happen after what he did to us this season. He'd definately be better then Glaus.

I wouldnt mind him in Toronto...but I dont think that will happen after what he did to us this season. He'd definately be better then Glaus.

No way the Blue jays could afford him. He'll get around 30 million and that would make up about a third of their payroll.

I wouldn't be suprised. they've got money and Pinella is apparantly pushing them hard to sgin him and he really enjoyed playing for Pinella. I wouldn't be suprised at all to see him sign with the Cubs.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! :ph34r:

As long as he doesn't sign with my beloved Cubbies!

I wouldnt be really surprised if he wound up in Chicago with either team. The Cubs make sense like Cross said but also the White Sox could really use a shortstop and may have the money too. I really dont know whether I would want him with my White Sox or not!

I think he will end up with the Angels though. They desperately need another bat to protect Vlad and they have deep pockets and keep trying to land a big free agent.

Any team that A-Rod signs with will not be winning the World Series as long as he's on that team.

yep, he has to learn to play in the Playoffs as well as in the season! He's a great player during the season but as soon as its the playoffs..he disapears very fast.

I'm going to have to go with TO on "the most selfish players" list. I admittedly know nothing about baseball, but I don't hear too much about A-Rod being a selfish person. I don't ever hear him complaining about his teammates, getting into fights with people, etc. Sounds to me like this is just a money issue and not a reflection on his character.

I wouldn't say he is selfish.. but I would call him one of the dirtiest players in sports...

Now that that's said, I'd like to see him in a Jays Uniform :lol: although I know it will never happen when he's commanding that much money

Any team that A-Rod signs with will not be winning the World Series as long as he's on that team.

yep, he has to learn to play in the Playoffs as well as in the season! He's a great player during the season but as soon as its the playoffs..he disapears very fast.

He's batting a career .280 in the postseason. I know it's not stellar, but it's not terrible. I will concede that you would expect more of him that's for sure. I wouldn't pass him up because of this though, I would love to see him in my lineup. Considering the Jays are paying Thomas $10 mil/season, I would be more then willing to give A-Rod $30M/season. I realize there is no way anyone is going to take Thomas and that salary, but it would be nice. :)

He's batting a career .280 in the postseason. I know it's not stellar, but it's not terrible. I will concede that you would expect more of him that's for sure. I wouldn't pass him up because of this though, I would love to see him in my lineup. Considering the Jays are paying Thomas $10 mil/season, I would be more then willing to give A-Rod $30M/season. I realize there is no way anyone is going to take Thomas and that salary, but it would be nice. :)

Thomas at 10 mill gets you 30 plus home runs and over 100 RBIs. Not far off Arod's numbers for a 3rd of the price and you say yourself the headache that comes with Arods media attnetion, general attitude, and Scott Boras. Not to mention, Thomas is actually a leader, where Arod is simplay a follower. Always has been always will be, and its why he doesn't step up in the post season.

Batting .280 is terrible for the best player in baseball. When you actually look at his history too, most of that .280 comes from his Seattle days when he was more of a depth bat and not they key guy. In the last three years for the Yankess, he has 1

Thomas at 10 mill gets you 30 plus home runs and over 100 RBIs. Not far off Arod's numbers for a 3rd of the price and you say yourself the headache that comes with Arods media attnetion, general attitude, and Scott Boras. Not to mention, Thomas is actually a leader, where Arod is simplay a follower. Always has been always will be, and its why he doesn't step up in the post season.

Batting .280 is terrible for the best player in baseball. When you actually look at his history too, most of that .280 comes from his Seattle days when he was more of a depth bat and not they key guy. In the last three years for the Yankess, he has 1 HR

Thomas at 10 mill gets you 30 plus home runs and over 100 RBIs without having any good bats around him this year and his RBIs could ahve been in the 110s to 120s if the Jays had been even decent in hitting this year. Not far off Arod's numbers for a 3rd of the price and you save yourself the headache that comes with Arods media attnetion, general attitude, and Scott Boras. Not to mention, Thomas is actually a leader, where Arod is simplay a follower. Always has been always will be, and its why he doesn't step up in the post season.

Batting .280 is terrible for the best player in baseball. When you actually look at his history too, most of that .280 comes from his Seattle days when he was more of a depth bat and not they key guy. In the last three years for the Yankess, he has 1 HR in post season with a whoppint 1 RBI. Having Arod is not nice to have, and any team that signs him at 30 million is taking a serious dent out of their World Series hopes.

Well, yes, there is that. I was referring more to his reputation of not being a team player. In order to win a championship (in any sport) you have to have a very good TEAM. I think A-Rod undermines the whole concept of team work. He's all about one person: himself. <_<

Wow.

Well I guess the guy has to feed his family. Condor eggs and Blue Whale steaks don't come cheap you know... :lol:

Wow! Thats insane even for A-Rod. That means that even if he were to sign a 8-year contract (which would make him 40 when it expired) it would be $43.75 million a season! That is absolutely ludicrous and nobody in their right mind would do that! I wouldnt be surprised to see something like $200 million over 6 years and even that is nuts but if A-Rod gets this money, then baseball seriously needs to look at a salary cap or a completely new system (not that they dont need one already)