The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mixed Martial Arts

I don't think it's moronic but i personally don't enjoy watching the UFC because i specifically don't enjoy watching the art of grappling. When two combatants are on their feet and striking each other, that is pure entertainment. When one combatant assumes missionary position over his opponent however, especially for a long duration of time, i get turned off.

I'm not sure what the rules are anymore as i haven't watch the sport since Marco Ruas defeated Paul Varelans in 1995. If they would immediately call both fighters back to standing positions after fighters grapple to the floor, WOW, I'd watch UFC for sure!

First off my later post

"Well yes, but I will pull back and say I think the "sport" is moronic and a little to savage for my liking. Any ways back on topic I guess we will just have to wait until tomorrow afternoon to see what happens here."

Second

This is not something I care to get into, some like it some don't I can deal with that. I was just trying to make a little tongue and check comment, not start a civil war on the boards.

Third

Please never quote me outside of a thread on this forum, I don't want to get dragged into this bs thread.

First,

You still made the comment, and all you changed your response to was instead of calling me a moron you called the sport I enjoy watching moronic making me a moron be association.

Second,

You called me a Moron, whether it was tounge in cheek or not.

Third,

Your post was the reason for the creation of the post, that is why I quoted it. I feel I am well within my rights to quote it here. I don't feel that this thread is BS, I spent quite a while carefully choosing my words because I did not want to make this a namecalling thread. I would really like to talk about another sport that I enjoy watching and I would love to hear who else watches it and how they feel about it. If you don't want to contribute to this discussion then don't, it is a free country.

Fourth,

I am still quite new here and I don't think I have done anything wrong here. If I have, please let me know and I will make an effort not to make the same mistake again.

i personally don't enjoy watching the UFC because i specifically don't enjoy watching the art of grappling.

I suppose I am biased after training in various martial arts over the years, most recently Jiu-jitus, but watching two submission experts grapple can be just as exciting as the striking. Its especially exciting if you know the moves they're trying to set up. I especially love watching athletes like Georges St. Pierre, who are more than proficient in all positions, transitioning between striking, stuffing take downs, pulling off submissions of his own, etc.

I will agree that it gets boring when someone like Josh Koscheck will constantly take someone down and then just blanket them for a round. I would like to see the Refs stand them up again if there hasn't been any significant sub attempts, or ground and pound (little hammer fists every 10 seconds dont count).

I think the "sport" is moronic and a little to savage for my liking.

To call the sport moronic is to call those involved with the sport moronic. MMA is no more savage than any other contact sport (ie. hockey).

This is not something I care to get into, some like it some don't I can deal with that. I was just trying to make a little tongue and check comment, not start a civil war on the boards.

You don't have to get into anything. This is a public discussion forum, and I don't see anything wrong with having an MMA discussion in the Other Sports section. Isn't that what its there for?

To call the sport moronic is to call those involved with the sport moronic. MMA is no more savage than any other contact sport (ie. hockey).

You don't have to get into anything. This is a public discussion forum, and I don't see anything wrong with having an MMA discussion in the Other Sports section. Isn't that what its there for?

I have no problem with discussing other sports; I think it's great that you guys enjoy watching MMA it's up there with NASCAR with the fastest growing sport in the last 10 years . I think I am in the minority of people that do not like it; I have many friends that all love it and get all the PPV it's just not for me. To me this topic is not about discussing MMA you are asking for people

I picked the "heathens" option because there wasn't a "Meh, I don't really care" option. That, and I really like the word "heathens". :P

I'm hard pressed to find boxing extremely entertaining (although for some reason I really like Olympic boxing). I have seen it, and as Peeps said, watching two guys roll around on the floor hitting each other now and then doesn't really do anything for me.

If they stood toe to toe and beat the crap out of each other, then send me to the dark ages, 'cause I'd be all over that.

I picked the "heathens" option because there wasn't a "Meh, I don't really care" option. That, and I really like the word "heathens". :P

I'm hard pressed to find boxing extremely entertaining (although for some reason I really like Olympic boxing). I have seen it, and as Peeps said, watching two guys roll around on the floor hitting each other now and then doesn't really do anything for me.

If they stood toe to toe and beat the crap out of each other, then send me to the dark ages, 'cause I'd be all over that.

I remember renting UFC videos back in the day and those guys would get down in the grapple and be down for LITTERALLY 10-20 mins at a time! I lost interest a long time ago. But I've noticed since it got commercialized the refs have more power and can actually tell them to get back to their feet... making it somewhat bareable.

Seriously tho I dont care what you train, ju jitsu, moi tai or how long you trained for, when it comes down to it, ITS STILL FIGHTING. Regardless style, technique, whatever the point is to knock the mofo out, or put him in such a position that forces him to give up before he's damaged permanently. What does this remind me of? hmmm oh ya! street fighting! Its all the same crap man. These guys are just trained "professionals."

Not that I am knocking the safe arenas, medical staff on hand, and the money that comes with it... but if you HAVE TO fight, do it to stand up for something. Not for money, fame or to prove that you are the best fighter in the world, because I'm not impressed. And if these guys ever used their training in real life they would be charged with assault with a deadly weapon and be put in jail. So ur hero in UFC would end up calling the cops lol...

Give me a good ol hockey fight or a good ol fashioned bar fight (without the weapons of course) where the 2 contestants, atleast to their best knowledge, are fighting for a reason. And not for money.

Obviously alot of you will severely diagree with me but this is my opinion on the matter.

I dont really watch it, but I can say it's 1000x better than that joke of a "sport" they call wrestling. (just the entertainment wrestling, not the olympic type of stuff)

I am right there with you Bob!

And to James: whether you call the sport moronic or you call it's fans moronic doesn't matter, they are practically the same thing. You said it, now you have to deal with the concequesnces and backlash. next time I guess just be more careful when bashing people and/or another sport. Also, I figured you being a Phlyers fan could associate with the sport more than anybody, given the style of play you team undertakes frequently. ;)

I am right there with you Bob!

And to James: whether you call the sport moronic or you call it's fans moronic doesn't matter, they are practically the same thing. You said it, now you have to deal with the concequesnces and backlash. next time I guess just be more careful when bashing people and/or another sport. Also, I figured you being a Phlyers fan could associate with the sport more than anybody, given the style of play you team undertakes frequently. ;)

Somebody had to say it :D I for one find MMA extremely entertaining. I don't see how it can be compared to street fighting either. Where are the brass knuckles and broken bottles? Where are the 10 friends jumping in and kicking the other guy in the face when he is down? The referees do an excellent job of making sure that noone is ever seriously injured, and for the most part, the fighters are not out to seriously injure anyone either.

Boxers get knocked c*ck stiff and they get to stand back up and shake it off. This results in their brains getting knocked all over the place and next thing you know, BAM, Mike Tyson.

It really is just a matter of time until something like Tyson, or a severe injury results from MMA, no matter what is different they are still getting their head kicked/punched off or having their air supply cut off in a choke hold.

As for MMA as a whole, I'm not a fan. as Peeps said, and Barney reiterated, watching two guys role around on a mat for 10-15 minutes is about as exciting as watching paint grow. I will occasionally watch something like Bodog fight on The Score and if I happen to get a fight that involves a striker I'll watch it, but I won't go out of my way to watch like I would for Hockey.

I will say however, I do enjoy watching Wrestling (the fake kind) and that is something that I make a point of watching on both Monday and Friday. As ridiculous as it is, and all the bad acting that takes place, I still find it really enjoyable to watch some of the crazy high-fliers.

There's very little that I don't love about MMA or more specifically UFC.

There are incredible athletes involved in the sport and those that are at the top are clearly not only world class athletes but very bright people. The strategy involved in MMA is what I find most interesting. Boxing I find somewhat boring as you know it's two guys trying to punch each other. The skill and stamina involved in boxing is really incredible, however, add to that the flexibility, broader strategy, balance, endurance, toughness, willpower and understanding of the capability of human body. In MMA there's striking with fists, elbows, knees, legs. And then there's the grappling part of the sport. It is amazing to watch someone like Spencer Fisher or BJ Penn, in the blink of an eye, turn a disadvantage into an advantage. They can be on their backs one moment and in a split second get the guy on top to tap out.

I'm a big UFC fan, except for the Heavyweights. I'm not so much into Pride, Bodog, etc. as I find the athletes to be just a step below those of UFC.

I first started watching UFC when it was litterally like an underground "Bloodsport". They'd match up style's versus style's and it was definately different. They'd have a sumo wrestler against a boxer, a Muy-tai boxer against a street fighter, a wrestler against a karate guy, etc. It was a bracketed tournament and all of the fights would happen in one evening. So, in order to win the UFC you'd have to fight something like 4 or 5 times in one night. For the first 6 years of the competition, the smallest guy entered, Horce Gracie, won the competition. He'd submit much bigger, stronger men who weren't as well trained, conditioned or disciplined as Gracie. Now, most MMA fighters are Gracie clones and use all of his techniques. It used to be a blood sport and now it's just a sport.

I can understand why some would find the sport repugnant and over-the-top violent. However, once people learn the nuances of the sport they usually, at a minimum, learn to appreciate it.

When one combatant assumes missionary position over his opponent however, especially for a long duration of time, i get turned off.

My thoughts exactly. I have given UFC a chance a couple of times but I fail to see how watching 2 guys spend over half the fight dryhumping each other is entertaining.

I really wanted to respond to this post about the UFC fans being Moronic in the Ruutu/Simon thread but it had already been said to keep the post on topic so I am going to post here.

I love the UFC and I don't consider myself moronic. I would actually think of myself as fairly intelligent. I am not a violent person at all, in fact, the only fight I have ever been in was in Grade 2. I kicked the guys a$ let me tell you but that was my fighting career, over before it even started.

I love contact sports, I grew up playing rugby and watching hockey (I wish I could have played but I am the son of an immigrant who refuses to get off his wallet). I used to watch boxing but I get really frustrated with the hugging, it is really boring when that happens.

I don't remember exactly when I started watching the UFC on a regular basis but it has been for at least 4 or 5 years. I started to watch it right as it started to change into the sport it is today. I have a friend who does MMA and he got me hooked on Pride as well and I absolutely LOVE IT. The talent these guys display is unreal and they are in such incredible physical shape.

The sport has turned around people lives as well, there are some fighters who I am sure would be in prison of they did not have the out that MMA provides them. Ken Shamrock is a prime example of this, an angry young man that was able to make something of himself rather than becoming a street fighter. I may not like the guy but I have seen a few shows about how he changed from an angry young man to a focused and devoted father because of MMA. He is not the only one with stories like this either.

Interesting tidbit, the UFC is the only 'fighting' type of sport never to have had anyone suffer a severe debilitating injury in the ring. Boxers get knocked c*ck stiff and they get to stand back up and shake it off. This results in their brains getting knocked all over the place and next thing you know, BAM, Mike Tyson.

I watch the UFC with my girlfriend and she loves it as well. She doesn't like it when someone get busted open and they are leaking all over the place for 25mins but that doesn't happen all that often. Although, she does like Matt Hughes. I hate that guy so much.

MMA has been around for many years in Japan and now the UFC is giving boxing a run for its money in the USA after only 2 or 3 years of commercial success. You may not like it and it may be too bloody for you but that does not give you the right to call the sport or the fans moronic. Please do a little research before you blindly throw out comments because you can't stand the sight of a little blood.

In closing, I leave you one tough old man.

-Bob

randy_couture.jpg

I must agree with everything you have just stated. I've been watching UFC since UFC#1. A few of my buddies and I watched it in his basement, and after 30 seconds, we were all hooked for life. MMA has got to be one of the most exciting and entertaining sports in the world today.

for the record I believe Joe Rogan said it best:

"Randy Couture, you are my Hero."

Couldn't agree more, im all for a good hockey fight, until they are on the ground, cause i really dont think any guy who watchs sports religiously wants to see two guys rolling around on top of each other.

also, i have started a debate/war with my cousins 6'5 280 pound boyfriend over whats better, Hockey or UFC, lets just say the food fight that occured that night was wait for it....................legendary.

some good lines from the debate,

Two sweaty guys on top of each other in little shorts? sound a little fruity to me

what do you think goes on in the shower room?

and the point of that was, if me a 5'6 130 pound 14 year old girl, can argue with a 6'5 280 pound boheamith of a man all in fun, why can't all of you on this board do it too? Yes they are different sports, both involve fighting, and contact. lets just accept it and move on.

I don't mind watching the UFC/MMA. I used to be into wrestling, but grew out of that awhile ago. I find that MMA brings some sort of realism into the picture, as both guys want to win, and things aren't scripted. The fact that a fight can change with one single blow, or one false move on the ground is amazing.

The Bonnar-Griffin fight really made me want to watch. Anyone of you criticizing MMA/UFC, should DEFINITELY watch that fight. It's the best fight I have EVER seen.

I am a casual wrestling fan so the fact Brock Lesnar is debuting tonight has my interest... he didn't have the flair for pro wrestling but as you can tell by him being an all-american amateur wrestler that he has some of the tools needed to succeed in UFC... his fight result isnt up on the fight networks website yet... im kinda excited to know how he did

KIMBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Wow I watched this guy on youtube a long time ago and now hes in mixed martial arts and I couldnt be happier!!!!! It will prove to you all ur grappling submission crap aint nuthin to the street! WOOT!

KIMBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Wow I watched this guy on youtube a long time ago and now hes in mixed martial arts and I couldnt be happier!!!!! It will prove to you all ur grappling submission crap aint nuthin to the street! WOOT!

We will see about Kimbo, he beat up a guy who was past his prime 6 or 7 years ago. I will have a little more confidence in his abilities when he can beat someone who has a ground game.

We will see about Kimbo, he beat up a guy who was past his prime 6 or 7 years ago. I will have a little more confidence in his abilities when he can beat someone who has a ground game.

Oh he will. Good luck getting that guy to the ground. But if you do then it could be interesting for sure.

I would love to see Kimbo in the UFC but he would be against some tough competition in guys like Arlovski, Sylvia, Couture(still can't believe Couture is holding the heavyweight title again lol).

His fight against Abbott should have been a sure win as it was. The guy is way out of shape and way past his prime now. The Cantrell fight was pretty impressive but I don't know anything about Cantrell and he also doesn't have the best record.

I would love to see Kimbo in the UFC but he would be against some tough competition in guys like Arlovski, Sylvia, Couture(still can't believe Couture is holding the heavyweight title again lol).

His fight against Abbott should have been a sure win as it was. The guy is way out of shape and way past his prime now. The Cantrell fight was pretty impressive but I don't know anything about Cantrell and he also doesn't have the best record.

Couture is being a dick and refuses to fight anyone but Fedor so the UFC has stripped him of his title and he is in the middle of a lawsuit with them since he is still under contract I believe.

I would love to see the interim Heavyweight Champion Nogeria (SP?) fight Kimbo, it would be a very short fight. The guy that beat Kimbo in that street fight that made him famous fought briefly in the UFC and he got absolutley dominated.

If someone like Brock Lesnar who has at least a wrestling background couldn't last 5 mins I really don't think a street fighter has any place unless he can improve his ground game. He would get submitted in the 1st round guaranteed.