The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

'07 Patriots And Their "perfect" Season

One game of cheating is not enough to warrant an asterisk IMO. Anyone who's watched them play this season can attest to the fact that they've played like a team possessed all season. They've had their share of adversity and managed to overcome it, and they've also obliterated multiple opponents along the way.

Hate them or love them, the Pats earned every record and every win they got this season. No way should there be an asterisk and I highly doubt there will be.

I agree they are a helluva team, when Brady gets into the shotgun, you just KNOW you are about to see some beautiful plays. I still think that Belichick's antics put enough of a blemish on this season that some kind of note needs to be made, even if it was only one game (supposedly, noone can prove that there were no other tapes, or notes made from tapes)

It is all moot though, because the Cowboys will defeat them in the SB this year :D

Allow me to play oblivious... what happened that would earn them an "*"

They stole signals from the other team (which EVERY team has done at one point or another) but they decided to take it to a new level and use a video camera - which makes it extremely easy to steal signals as well as extremely obvious that they're doing so. It's been alleged that they were doing this over the past few seasons at different times, but those games don't really apply to this season. Regardless, it was blown way out-of-proportion by the media which is what they do best. :P

If it was half the season (or so) that this had been occurring, I can see the need for an asterisk... but it was one game and they've already been punished through large fines to Belichick and the Pats organization as well as the loss of their 1st round draft pick.

While i dont think that their stealing signals really won them any games it was cheating nonetheless. Cheating deserves an asterisk, lifes a Doug Risebrough, play by the rules

While i dont think that their stealing signals really won them any games it was cheating nonetheless. Cheating deserves an asterisk, lifes a Doug Risebrough, play by the rules

Stealing signals has been a part of the NFL for ages and every team does it - its just another way of gaining a competitive advantage - but the Pats decided to bring technology into it for a game and that was stupid (most teams just have a guy in the press box with binoculars and pen and paper writing down the plays as they happen). The Pats crossed the line, but they've already been punished for it and it hasn't happened since.

If this was an isolated case and it was the first time someone had stolen signals, I'd agree with the need for an asterisk. But its not, so if you give the Pats an asterisk for stealing signals you might as well put one behind every 1st place team in history.

Besides, as a defensive/offensive coordinator in the NFL, if you're stupid enough to knowingly let the opposition easily learn your plays, then you seriously deserve to lose.

yes i do believe there should be a * and a * beside the super bowl wins as well, i don't care that 'everyone does it' u cant prove that...but im a Jets fan, so i am a bit biased

There shouldnt be a "*" because what they did really wasnt a big deal

No it wasnt. I'm sure the media blew it way up. I mean, the whole "Spygate" thing was against the JETS of all teams. What they were doing I really dont know for sure, but nobody needs to steal from the Jets. For the record, I'm not a Pats homer, bandwagoner, or a big football guy in general. But still no "*".

No Way does what they've done deserve an asterik. They only way they cheated was using a video camera to tape signals. Stealing signals themselves is not cheating, simply videotaping them was cheating. And like other mentioned, that was caught and taken care of a few weeks into the season. That doesn't explain the other 14 or 15 wins. And even if they knew what defenses they were going to play against why didn't anyone switch their singals or trhow them off? Why wasn't anyone's offence able to do alot lot against the Patriot D?

They did it because they were that good. The cheating thing was blown out of proportion becuase again every team in the league, and even coahces and players admitted this, attempt to steal signals. The Patriots videotaped it which yes is cheating, but that doesn't account for a perfect season. You don't become perfect by simply knowning most or all of the teams defensive signals.

My thoughts exactly. But I had forgotten that they lost a 1st round pick when I made this topic. That, along with $250k fine to Belichick and a $500k fine to the organization seems like enough to me.

Well, much to my dismay, the Pats just finished the NFL regular season 16-0. They were down by 12 points early in the 2nd half, but a strong showing pulled them back to win 38-35. I was happy to watch Moss break the NFL record for TD receptions (23), and Brady simultaneously break the record for QB TDs (50). However, with the scandal at the start of the season, I hope that there will be an asterisk next to the Pats name in the record books. Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Every team in the NFL steals signals. The Patriots just got caught. That's why nobody really cares about it anymore.

My thoughts exactly. But I had forgotten that they lost a 1st round pick when I made this topic. That, along with $250k fine to Belichick and a $500k fine to the organization seems like enough to me.

500k to Belichick, which is a bit steep, IMO.

250K to belichick

500K to the organization

It was the other way around. 500K to Belichick, 250k to the organization.

"NFL commissioner Roger Goodell announced Thursday night that he would fine Belichick the maximum amount and dock the team $250,000 and a first-round draft pick next year (or a lesser pick if the Patriots miss the playoffs)."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3019280''>http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3019280' target="_blank">http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3019280[/post]

Coachs and QBs can communicate via headsets now. I wouldn't be surprised if home teams can wire tap into these conversations and then signal their team's defenses to suit.

It was the other way around. 500K to Belichick, 250k to the organization.

"NFL commissioner Roger Goodell announced Thursday night that he would fine Belichick the maximum amount and dock the team $250,000 and a first-round draft pick next year (or a lesser pick if the Patriots miss the playoffs)."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3019280''>http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3019280' target="_blank">http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3019280[/post]

oh, i was just going off what the other guy said, whoops :)

no there should not be an * if they do it... and this is coming from someone with a passionate dislike for the Patriots

edit: yay full house... god im a loser :lol: