The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Flambeau

UEFA Euro 2008 Thread

I'll be cheering for spain!

I believe this will be a great tournament, but unfortunate that zidane, totti and figo wont be in it..

Spain Vs Portugal in the finals with spain taking it 2-1. Torres will be brilliant

how on earth did england not qualify?

Well combination of a bad coach and players, England also had a pretty tough group compared to other teams, but there's still no excuses for not qualifying. The qualifying stage had groups of 8 with only the 2 top teams making it to the finals. On the last day of qualifying matches England needed atleast a draw to come second behind Croatia and infront of Russia, but England's coach named a pretty weak squad and played the "third string" young inexperienced keeper..England lost that game 3-2 to Croatia and didn't qualify -_-

So now I'm left with no one to cheer for this year...

Well combination of a bad coach and players, England also had a pretty tough group compared to other teams, but there's still no excuses for not qualifying....

I don't think that the players on that team are bad, they are to be fair, some of the best in the world. Though, that side of them only seemed to come out while playing for their respective club teams. This England squad looked like either they didn't care, which i doubt, or that they just expected that since they are England, that they would qualify with ease and not have to play their best/hardest. I'd have to agree and that say coaching was the the biggest reason they didn't qualify, if you can't qualify a team with that much skill, you shouldn't be involved in this level of soccer.

tough loss for the Swiss today, they deserved at least a tie in that game. They outplayed the Czechs, and had 2 non calls go in the favour of the Czechs (the 2 handballs in the box). Too bad, nice game to watch though.

Well combination of a bad coach and players, England also had a pretty tough group compared to other teams, but there's still no excuses for not qualifying. The qualifying stage had groups of 8 with only the 2 top teams making it to the finals. On the last day of qualifying matches England needed atleast a draw to come second behind Croatia and infront of Russia, but England's coach named a pretty weak squad and played the "third string" young inexperienced keeper..England lost that game 3-2 to Croatia and didn't qualify -_-

So now I'm left with no one to cheer for this year...

It was the fantasy! Croatia has helped Russia!

The group C is the group of death, I think with so much classic teams and ancient winners in it.

Yes, sportscasters have yet to mention group C without calling it the group of death

tough loss for the Swiss today, they deserved at least a tie in that game. They outplayed the Czechs, and had 2 non calls go in the favour of the Czechs (the 2 handballs in the box). Too bad, nice game to watch though.

I think the Czechs were the stronger team and deserved to win

all I know is I wont be watching it.

Post of the year

I don't think that the players on that team are bad, they are to be fair, some of the best in the world. Though, that side of them only seemed to come out while playing for their respective club teams. This England squad looked like either they didn't care, which i doubt, or that they just expected that since they are England, that they would qualify with ease and not have to play their best/hardest. I'd have to agree and that say coaching was the the biggest reason they didn't qualify, if you can't qualify a team with that much skill, you shouldn't be involved in this level of soccer.

Unfortunatly though some of these players were injured for some of the more important matches, or Steve Mcleran was just too thick too play them. I remember sometimes he'd play people like Phil Neville, Nicky Shorey, Scott Carson, Andy Johnson, just to name a few.

I think the english will be back and flying high into the next world cup, it's just that they are sort of in between generations and a new coach. In the last couple years we've had alot of players retire, like Scholes, Carragher, Sol Campbell, and it looks like David James and Beckham will both be on their way out soon due to old age. During this stage though they didn't really have anyone to fill in and take the drivers seat. Although Gerrard, Terry, Ferdinand, Ashley Cole, Defoe, Lampard, Richards and a few others played well during the qualifying stages, they really didn't have much depth, when the injuries came thats when it hurt us. Now we have some pretty promising youngsters coming into the system, Walcott, Young, Agbonlahor, Richards, Johnson, Lennon, Huddlestone, Hart, and I'm sure others are on the way.

Enough ranting though, back to euros: I don't know about anyone else but I've enjoyed all four matches that have been played, especially Portugal v Turkey, even though it would have been fantastic seeing Turkey with the upset.

Hup Holland Hup!

I got mt dutch car flag flying. One more sleep! Three more until the Oranje play.

Well, it was worth waiting! What a game! This whole country has a smile on it's face today.

For the record; first goal wasn't offside. The rule says that a defender can not retract (I don't know if thats the right word) himself from the play.

Well, it was worth waiting! What a game! This whole country has a smile on it's face today.

For the record; first goal wasn't offside. The rule says that a defender can not retract (I don't know if thats the right word) himself from the play.

Best Dutch game I have seen in some time, I hope we can keep it up and not blow it in the knock out rounds.

And I agree, the Italian keeper pushed his own dude out, and of course he rolled around like a sniper hit him. No offside IMO. And what about the second one. That was sweet.

France looked week today, I hope we don't underestimate them on Friday.

Actually the rules say that if the player is off the field of play, he is taken out of the equation

First goal shouldnt have counted, but the dutch absolutely dominated the italians, the win was well deserved

Go Spain!

Actually the rules say that if the player is off the field of play, he is taken out of the equation

First goal shouldnt have counted, but the dutch absolutely dominated the italians, the win was well deserved

Go Spain!

Au Contraire. The goal was legit and the correct call was made.

http://en.euro2008.uefa.com/news/kind=1/newsid=711341.html#uefa+supports+dutch+goal+decision' target="_blank">http://en.euro2008.uefa.com/news/kind=1/ne...h+goal+decision[/post]

After seeing every team play once my predictions for the group stages are...

group A

1.Portugal

2.Turkey

3.Czech republic

4.Switzerland

Group B

1.Germany

2.Croatia

3.Austria

4.Poland

group C

1.Netherlands

2.France

3.Italy

4.Romania

Group D

1.Spain

2.Sweden

3.Greece

4.Russia

Netherlands have broken off world champions! I like Holland since times Guullit and van Basten!

Spain has carried Russia! Horror! Defenders should be changed! I trust in a team!

Well, it's been 20 years for us. It's about time win something again.

And Russia... disapointing. They have to pick up their game... especially on defence. They have the best coach of world the IMO.

Something else; there is this Dutch tv show about EURO 2008 and they were at the France press conference yesterday. Apparently the French have some kind of wall where fans can write out their support to the french team. Of course a lot of 'Allez le bleus' and 'Allez Ribery' but also (and I had to look twice) in the middle of the wall with big black letters: GO FLAMES GO! the writer also tried (with little succes) to draw some flames at the O.

I will try to find a video of it. It's pretty cool (I think)

Something else; there is this Dutch tv show about EURO 2008 and they were at the France press conference yesterday. Apparently the French have some kind of wall where fans can write out their support to the french team. Of course a lot of 'Allez le bleus' and 'Allez Ribery' but also (and I had to look twice) in the middle of the wall with big black letters: GO FLAMES GO! the writer also tried (with little succes) to draw some flames at the O.

I will try to find a video of it. It's pretty cool (I think)

it was definitely the work of Flambeau!

Great game today between Croatia and Germany, with an even better outcome! that means a probable Germany v portugal in the quarter finals! I'll be behind Germany 110% in that one

grrrr....hate Portugal :angry: