The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gaston back at the helm of the Jays

The Jays highly underacheived under Gibbons. Gaston has that 'fire' in him and wont let the boys slack off anymore.

Im happy with this move, I would have been happy to see any other coach except Gibbons there.

Gaston came into this situation with the Jays as well when they were 12-24 in 89, he then led them to a 74-24 record as him managing that year.

Gibby just A) lost the team and B) just was too laid back to win in this league. I just couldnt' stand it anymore when they Jays would blow so many chances to win a game and he would just have the quote, "Oh well there a good team and you have to give them credit, they just played better than we did"?? Now I dont expect garbage cans flying or anything, but once and a while it is possible to point the finger at your own team. ie "We just didn't hit" or "we need more urgency".. nothing. I think Gibby has helped the Jays and I give him credit for that. I thin he is largely responsible for the good young players they have becasue he empowers them, but he clearly wasn't the guy to get the any further.

I was suprised about Gaston, and while I'm not a huge fan of it, I can deal wit hit. He has the right attitude and I think he'll shape them up. However, now they need a massive tear to get back into it.