The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TMLFIMHA

NFL player discipline

The NFL already has a pretty strict discipline policy in place. Guys in other sports have gotten away with alot more and not been suspended. Susepening Pac Man Jones for a year sent a pretty big signal that they don't tolerate that type of behavior.

However, its a kinda catch 22 for the NFL. they try to come down hard on discipline, but then they are the ones that are throwing 30 million guranteed at 20 year olds a lot of which came from nothing. What do you expect alot of these players to do when they are thrown that kind of money that they've never seen before? What would most people do?

You can say this in any pro sport, it's not the managements fault for their players own actions and behaviour. Just seems too restrictive if management handled their every whim and move, too controlled. The management shouldn't be the players parents when they have to run a team. It's only a small portion of idiotic players compared to the whole league anyway.

The NFL already has a pretty strict discipline policy in place. Guys in other sports have gotten away with alot more and not been suspended. Susepening Pac Man Jones for a year sent a pretty big signal that they don't tolerate that type of behavior.

During Goodell's time as Commisioner the NFL has had the strictest discipline in it's history. And yet, the number of arrests and 'incidents' has not gone down.

However, its a kinda catch 22 for the NFL. they try to come down hard on discipline, but then they are the ones that are throwing 30 million guranteed at 20 year olds a lot of which came from nothing. What do you expect alot of these players to do when they are thrown that kind of money that they've never seen before? What would most people do?

Precisely. They throw big money at these guys or they draft them highly out of college and coddle them.

You can say this in any pro sport, it's not the managements fault for their players own actions and behaviour. Just seems too restrictive if management handled their every whim and move, too controlled. The management shouldn't be the players parents when they have to run a team. It's only a small portion of idiotic players compared to the whole league anyway.

Teams are, for the most part, encouraging the bad behavior of players. If a player gets arrested nothing happens to the team except perhaps a minor fine. These players are getting chance after chance because they have talent and might help teams win. If you start punishing the teams in a meaningful way, the teams will stop taking chances through the draft and free agency on the well-known turds.

Revivied due to today's news.

Bengels Re Sign Chris Henry

Here is a guy with a rap sheet about as big as Pacman's (why he only gets 4 games and Pacman got a season is beyond me but thats a different story) and he gets what at the end of the day? He lost his job for the grand total of a week, and because he was a 3rd round pick i doubt he forfeits much money seeing how 3rd roudners don't make much to begin with.

If I were Goddel i'd be embarrased by this. How are you going to try and improve player discipline when you have no reprocussions for teams or players?

And just as an FYI, Chris Henry is also a repear offender so its not like you can use the "oh well everyone deserves a second chance". He's already been suspsended and then keeps getting into trouble. I'm also interested to see if Pacman is reinstated. IMO, he should serve another 3-4 games because despite being suspended he still was a frequent member of strip clubs as well as got his name invovled with trouble.

I think the NFL has a much longer way to go then they previously thought.

IMO, all athletes are over paid jocks.

I mean they get paid millions to run around and catch balls, while other people dig trenches and work contruction to barely scrape by

I mean they get paid millions to run around and catch balls, while other people dig trenches and work contruction to barely scrape by

The reason they get paid so much is because the entertainment industry is huge, they do get an obsene amount of money but they also work hard to be the best at what they do so that they can get that money

If construction workers could fill stadiums for Construction company's.....then they'd be paid accordingly.

If they didn't get the money someone else would, if Terrell Owens was paid a normal wage then it would be alot more money going into Jerry Jones' pocket and last I checked he had quite a bit already. And if athletes are overpaid what then actors are worse.

I think large income and adoration tends to create extremely unpleasant people, but I've no problem with entertainers earning big money...there is a fairness to it, lots of people are prepared to pay to watch them, so they earn large amounts.

From what I've seen tho, hockey players seem to be marginally better human beings than Premiership footballers in the UK/Italy. These people in my limited experience seem to be shallow, selfish and dull. They tend to treat women and fans in general appallingly.

I don't know why, but hockey players don't seem to stoop so low (with the odd exception)....but they're all part of celebrity culture, which I do find extremely sad.

I agree Corky, most hockey players behave fairly well...most of the time, especially compared to some other athletes.

I think that the fact that they make a fraction of what most NFL and MLB players make and the fact that Hockey is only popular in a Country with 6 teams, and most of them are good ol farm boys all contribute to the good behaviour.

I think that the fact that they make a fraction of what most NFL and MLB players make and the fact that Hockey is only popular in a Country with 6 teams, and most of them are good ol farm boys all contribute to the good behaviour.

I think that could well be it Torij...it does seem (to me at least) that hockey players aren't quite so taken in by the whole bling culture that NBL, NHL and soccer players tend to be. I follow a small soccer team here in the UK (average attendance 6-10,000) and even tho you couldn't call the players 'superstars' or whatever...they way they behave around town is a complete disgrace.

Make the team take responsibility for the morons that it has, and are doing stupid things. Hefty fines to worthy causes and lots of press might be a start. Community service dealt by the teams managment.

I think that could well be it Torij...it does seem (to me at least) that hockey players aren't quite so taken in by the whole bling culture that NBL, NHL and soccer players tend to be. I follow a small soccer team here in the UK (average attendance 6-10,000) and even tho you couldn't call the players 'superstars' or whatever...they way they behave around town is a complete disgrace.

6 - 10000 people, thats a gap of 9994 people lol

but yeah, hockey players just seem on average to be more grounded, and i think its the upbringing, hockey is expensive, the poorer 'ghettoer' kids who usually have the bad attitude cant afford it and the play the other sports

( dont want to bring stereotypes into it but that has to make some sense)

but yeah, hockey players just seem on average to be more grounded, and i think its the upbringing, hockey is expensive, the poorer 'ghettoer' kids who usually have the bad attitude cant afford it and the play the other sports

( dont want to bring stereotypes into it but that has to make some sense)

I guess in the UK, that holds true, rugby players seem better behaved than soccer players and tend to be from middle class backgrounds, as opposed to soccer's working class roots.

That being said, solid working class boys tend to be sound blokes, but somehow transform into total morons once you give them adoration and a few million.

I spend a lot of time in the Netherlands, and it seems not so much of a problem there...soccer players seem to behave.

Complex issue I reckon. I think as long as you keep sportsman in perspective...see them as a bit of escapism, performing heroics for our entertainment, its ok. If you start to see them as actual hero's and personalities to look up to...the problem start. If I had a daughter, I'm not sure I'd want her dating any professional soccer, NFL, NBL, rugby or hockey player...but good and bad exist everywhere of course.

Rugby keeps this simple and straight forward. If you are arrested off the field for an offense then you will suffer on the pitch two. From banning players for X period depending how bad the charge is. If it is serious, for example Glen Monsure, was sacked by his team, band from playing rugby, pro, semi pro and amateur. If he is found playing he is fined heavily and imprisoned for X period. This is all for beating up a bouncer and leaving him in a pool of his own blood.

I'm not saying do this for every person, but these stars are idols for younger children. They need to remember this and be role models. you are responsible for your own actions, and for that you must face the back lash of your action. No matter how old.

Small things like speeding are usually ban from driving for X time, fined and banned from playing for a few games. Then players are sent on training courses for driving, which gives them public humiliation which makes them behave better.

Heavy handed tactics prove to work, take a rugby player, they know the rules and never back chat a ref. Take a soccer player, swears, hits and shouts at the ref, get in trouble off field with drugs and fighting and the worst they hand out is a slap on the wrist and a small fine. Goes to show, at times people need to made and example of.