The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

beergirl 1 deleted

Beijing 2008 Olympic Games

Yaaaaaaaaaaaa Silver in Trampoline!!!!! Good Good....

Should have been gold. I think he got cheated a bit there. If these games were in Italy or Mexico or something, I think he wins gold. Judges at these game have shown time and time again they are giving the Chinesse extra points due to the crowd reaction. The Canadian had a harder routine with similar execution. He should have won gold. Even he and his coach admitted it but have chosed to take the high road.

Should have been gold. I think he got cheated a bit there. If these games were in Italy or Mexico or something, I think he wins gold. Judges at these game have shown time and time again they are giving the Chinesse extra points due to the crowd reaction. The Canadian had a harder routine with similar execution. He should have won gold. Even he and his coach admitted it but have chosed to take the high road.

The only time the Canadian didn't land within the cross on the trampoline, was on his final landing. I thought the Chinese guy was out of control more, so I agree, he should have had the gold.

Oh well, what can you do...except fix it in 2010, when we host the world. :unsure:

Did anyone hear about the Taekwondo chick? I watched the match and they were not giving the Canadian her points! The judging is horrible, because Gonda is considered a medal contender and if she won she would be facing a Chinese athlete? Seriously what type of judging is this. There's been several other instances where China got unreasonably high scores as well. It just REALLY pisses me off.

Did anyone hear about the Taekwondo chick? I watched the match and they were not giving the Canadian her points! The judging is horrible, because Gonda is considered a medal contender and if she won she would be facing a Chinese athlete? Seriously what type of judging is this. There's been several other instances where China got unreasonably high scores as well. It just REALLY pisses me off.

Canada has lodged a formal protest, according to Ron McLean. If the protest is successful, it means a rematch. Not sure what good that will do, unless the judges put their glasses back on. (Graduates from the Mick McGeough school of officiating, no doubt)

Canada has lodged a formal protest, according to Ron McLean. If the protest is successful, it means a rematch. Not sure what good that will do, unless the judges put their glasses back on. (Graduates from the Mick McGeough school of officiating, no doubt)

Its not the only event where it's happening either. I've noticed a couple of events where the Chinese seemed to get a little favored, and the commentaters have made note of it as well.

Its not the only event where it's happening either. I've noticed a couple of events where the Chinese seemed to get a little favored, and the commentaters have made note of it as well.

Even the announcers are to the point where they are expecting at least a half point extra just becasue the Chinesse are the home crowd. My post above also breaks it down. I watched both trampoline acts and I still don't know how the chinesse guy won. We'll I do, but from a technical standpoint there is no way. Almost same execution, and the Canadian had a harder routine with a higher difficulty score. Based on the judging criteria he should have been guaranteed the gold, but the chinesse won it. I've seen that all throughout these Olympics that the chinese are repeadatly being scored higher just because they are the home crowd.

I'm not suprised at all that its happening. You can't really call it corrupt, but its definetly not fair but I was expecting stuff like this to happen in these games, but it makes it tough to watch sometimes.

Its been rejected.

Any sport that requires judging to determine a winner is flawed, in my opinion.

I really enjoy watching events like sprinting, rowing and weightlifting because it's cut and dried: you place where you place based on performance rather than another flawed human beings opinion. Professional sports that have referrees that can help to determine the outcome are bad enough. But sports like gymnastics, martial arts/boxing, diving, etc are all based entirely on the whim of the judges. They have no credibility as far as I'm concerned. Add in the historically corrupt IOC to the mix along with a nation desperate to put on a show for the world and suddenly the pure athleticism of the Olympics doesn't look so pure anymore.

I really enjoy watching events like sprinting, rowing and weightlifting because it's cut and dried: you place where you place based on performance rather than another flawed human beings opinion. Professional sports that have referrees that can help to determine the outcome are bad enough. But sports like gymnastics, martial arts/boxing, diving, etc are all based entirely on the whim of the judges. They have no credibility as far as I'm concerned. Add in the historically corrupt IOC to the mix along with a nation desperate to put on a show for the world and suddenly the pure athleticism of the Olympics doesn't look so pure anymore.

Agreed. I hate judged sports.

Also interesting is that the IOC uses judges from countries that don't have one of their athletes participating in those particular events. This is great for removing bias but at the same time, the quality of judging falls because those judges rarely see performance at Olympic levels back home. The quality of judging is bad as a result.

In gymnastics for example, you either get quality judges from the USA, Canada, Russia, Romania, and China but run the risk of biasness or you go with unbiased judges from South Africa, Brazil, India, Thailand, Norway, etc and lose quality.

>>> But with Boxing, there are two ways to win, knock your opponent out, as our Canadian boxer had almost experienced, or tally up all the clean formed shots awarded for points (for those rockey-esque epic matches that end in a draw, because the Rocky like boxers won't go down).

But yea, the human judges are corrupt. Like that Figure skating gold that was potentially robbed from us, but returned...

>>> But with Boxing, there are two ways to win, knock your opponent out, as our Canadian boxer had almost experienced, or tally up all the clean formed shots awarded for points (for those rockey-esque epic matches that end in a draw, because the Rocky like boxers won't go down).

But yea, the human judges are corrupt. Like that Figure skating gold that was potentially robbed from us, but returned...

In gymnastics for example, you either get quality judges from the USA, Canada, Russia, Romania, and China but run the risk of biasness or you go with unbiased judges from South Africa, Brazil, India, Thailand, Norway, etc and lose quality.

I guess that's the solution we're going to have to do, use unbaised judges, with less quality.

I guess that's the solution we're going to have to do, use unbaised judges, with less quality.

130012photo.jpg

Andrey Silnov has won the 10th gold medal for Russia!

If his hair was a wee bit longer, he'd remind me of "Mr. Bag of Marbles" from the Bud Light commercial.

Sucks hard that Gonda was ripped off. I watched the match last night, and threw up my hands more than once that she didn't receive any points for her efforts. I thought she landed a couple of kicks to the head pretty clearly, but what do I know?

If his hair was a wee bit longer, he'd remind me of "Mr. Bag of Marbles" from the Bud Light commercial.

Sucks hard that Gonda was ripped off. I watched the match last night, and threw up my hands more than once that she didn't receive any points for her efforts. I thought she landed a couple of kicks to the head pretty clearly, but what do I know?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Thats where he looks familiar!

That's EXACTLY what I was thinking!

But Gonda did so much better than the Swede, but she didn't score ANYTHING at all. I hate the bias..

I was just waiting on that... Has there been a Summer Olympics in the past couple decades that hasn't involved some form of doping?

They all do it, but only the dumb ones get caught.

Any Canadian test positive for MJ yet? :lol:B)