The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

beergirl 1 deleted

Beijing 2008 Olympic Games

>>> So when the world ends would he fly away with his other Dolphins, and sing So long, and thanks for all the fish?

And the $50,000.000.00 endorsement deals he is rumoured to be signing for. "ABC Olympic Report on 630 ched am (Friday Morning Aug 22)

To be honest, silver is a bit of a letdown considering he was unbeaten this year, had won the last couple of world championships and is the world record holder in the 500. But after his race in the 1000 I was happy to see him medal, at least, in the 500.

Well as an Aussie i was stoked to see Wallace come through like that at the finish. We here, all know he is a fantastic finisher. But i have to say i did feel bad for your fella he was killing it but just couldn't hold it, and especially not being beat all year and then to just get pipped in the Olympics.

Congrats on your second week comeback Canada.

Oh and here is an article (although it is an opinion) in last weekends paper that compares sports funding between Canada and Australia. Can you believe that it costs that much per medal !!!!!

http://www.smh.com.au/text/articles/2008/08/22/1219262526774.html' target="_blank">http://www.smh.com.au/text/articles/2008/0...9262526774.html[/post]

All in all I was very impressed with the Beijing Olympics.

The facilities were amazing and the organization was impecible. However, for some reason it seemed to lack something that I can't put my finger on...I guess 'soul' would be the best word I can use to describe it but it doesn't fit entirely.

Is it just me?

The facilities were amazing and the organization was impecible. However, for some reason it seemed to lack something that I can't put my finger on...I guess 'soul' would be the best word I can use to describe it but it doesn't fit entirely.

Is it just me?

No, i agree.

I would sum it up as the humanity element. The Olympics always seem to celebrate humanity and these stories arise that back that up. Outside of the German Weightlifter who'se wife passed before the Olympics, I can't really think of any good humanitarian stories that arose from the games. The games seemed very mechanical and I think thats why they passed so quick with so little excitment. At least on my part. I give China credit especially because I thought the IOC was making a bit mistake in giving them the games. They did a better job than I anticipated.

As far as Canada goes, they exceeded my expectations. Not by leaps and bounds but I was expeting about 12 or so medals, so to get 18, combined with so many positive results in track and swimming I was impressed. They weren't far away from topping 20 medals which they've only done once before (not indlucing LA) so I think thats impressive.

Well, the facilities definitely were impressive and the athletes put on quite the show, but to me it ended up being a letdown in part due to the controversies/issues such as:

Adding CGI to make the fireworks look better on TV.

Having a pretty girl lip-sync the song at the opening ceremonies.

Biased judging (this could be said about ANY Olympics or World Championships).

Possible use of under-age athletes.

I still say Phelps lost that one race which turned out to be his 7th gold medal, I believe.

Still, I'm definitely impressed with Canada's showing. If Brown swims 9/100ths of a second faster and the shot-putter shot puts a centimeter more we end up with 20 medals.

Is it just me?

The games seemed very mechanical

Mechanical is a good way to describe it and i think it's because everything went too smoothly. Everything good that was suppose to happen did and everything bad that was suppose to happen didn't.

Good,

Canada was hoping for good medal results and they got it.

Michael Phelps was suppose to win 8 golds and he did.

Usain Bolt was suppose to destroy the world in the 100m and 200m races and he did.

Bad,

Tibet was suppose to capture the imagination of the world.

Riots were suppose to have stolen front page news.

Human rights issues were suppose to come to the forefront.

The issues that Dakeyras highlighted were the only ones that anyone could be upset about and they weren't necessarily that bad. In the effort to show off to the world, they tried too hard and embarrassed themselves with the fireworks TV effects and the "Milli Vanilli act." China should've let the "little ugly girl" sing in the closing ceremonies to redeem themselves.

Anyways, all in all, the Olympics were very anti-climatic and well hosted. This leads me to realize once again that if life in general was a straight road without bumps, turns, and detours, then life would be pretty boring.

^ All true, but there was more than that missing. It seems like the Olympic spirit wasn't there. I didn't get that vibe that you get during most Olympics. My fondest memory of the 88 Olympics wasn't any event or ceremony but the way the city just exploded with character & spirit. In Beijing all the spirit seemed to be neatly contained in the Birds Nest and other venues.

I enjoyed seeing this.

Canadians overwelmingly Proud of Olympians.

I was very happy with their performances. Mainly because for a week everyone was so down on them and they still came through. And even the oens that didn't win medals were setting PBs, breaking Canadian records, and giving people hope for the future.

Seeing how most Canadians, and the COC included, are looking towards Vancouver and have been under so much criticism for years, I think the Athletes should be very proud of themselves.

^ All true, but there was more than that missing. It seems like the Olympic spirit wasn't there. I didn't get that vibe that you get during most Olympics. My fondest memory of the 88 Olympics wasn't any event or ceremony but the way the city just exploded with character & spirit. In Beijing all the spirit seemed to be neatly contained in the Birds Nest and other venues.

I think it's three things.

One, the media was kept in a bubble throughout the games. Nearly the entire day, reporters were locked up in their hotels or Olympic village or wherever they stayed. Then, they'd wake up every morning, get driven to the games by IOC buses, do their thing, and then get driven back to the hotels in the evening. We never saw reporters roaming the streets and talking to people. We never saw the people of Beijing show their Olympic spirit. We never saw much of Beijing in general, and i'm not talking about the smog. The reporting on the games was very routine.

Secondly, the time difference meant that most of the events happened from 7pm to 6am (Mountain Time). Most of us only got to watch replays and highlights of the games after we came home from work. If you watched NBC, they only showed Americans winning the gold and it was 24/7 Michael Phelps for the first half of the games.

Thirdly, Canadian athletes flat out didn't give Canadians a chance to get into the games until day 8. There was a "whatever with the Olympics" feeling throughout Canada. There was nothing to cheer about and nothing to boast about. There wasn't much Olympic vibe around in Canada. It's like being an Oilers fan in April. The NHL season hasn't ended yet but it sort of has since your team didn't even get into the playoffs. Canadian athletes started to win medals in the second half of these Olympics and right when everyone was beginning to get into the Olympic spirit, the games ended. This was a big problem.

I enjoyed seeing this.

http://tsn.ca/olympics/story/?id=247559&lid=headline&lpos=secStory_main' target="_blank">Canadians overwelmingly Proud of Olympians[/post].

I was very happy with their performances. Mainly because for a week everyone was so down on them and they still came through. And even the oens that didn't win medals were setting PBs, breaking Canadian records, and giving people hope for the future.

Seeing how most Canadians, and the COC included, are looking towards Vancouver and have been under so much criticism for years, I think the Athletes should be very proud of themselves.

It's funny though. The athletes from the first 7 days were complaining about the lack of government funding as the main reason why Canada can't and won't be able to compete with the world. Then, the athletes from the second half of the Olympics came out and showed up the athletes from the first half.

Is it just me?

>>> But didn't you originally make a post indicating that you wanted the Beijing games to fail, because of enviromental and humanitarian, abuses?

Anyways, you're right.... The games were too perfect... It was called the Potemkin Games, named after the perfected Potemkin villages in the USSR. Like many infrastructures were created only for the games, and the government bussed in, a Potemkin audience.... to fill in gaps).

But at least they were genuinely enthusiastic for all competitors, with their "Gah Yeow!" (Add Gas, chants). I don't know... after the Atlanta games of 1996, and the super sexy Kerri Strugg, the games seem to have lost it's human-ness. Phelps and Bolt seemed to have brought great excitement, and the "Excitebike" (an old motocross NES game, reference to BMX racing), looked very exciting. Those were some nice jumps they did.

But yea, the Athens games was a snore... The Sydney games were cool....

Is it just me?

>>> But didn't you originally make a post indicating that you wanted the Beijing games to fail, because of enviromental and humanitarian, abuses?

Anyways, you're right.... The games were too perfect... It was called the Potemkin Games, named after the perfected Potemkin villages in the USSR. Like many infrastructures were created only for the games, and the government bussed in, a Potemkin audience.... to fill in gaps).

But at least they were genuinely enthusiastic for all competitors, with their "Gah Yeow!" (Add Gas, chants). I don't know... after the Atlanta games of 1996, and the super sexy Kerri Strugg, the games seem to have lost it's human-ness. Phelps and Bolt seemed to have brought great excitement, and the "Excitebike" (an old motocross NES game, reference to BMX racing), looked very exciting. Those were some nice jumps they did.

But yea, the Athens games was a snore... The Sydney games were cool....

It's like being an Oilers fan in April. The NHL season hasn't ended yet but it sort of has since your team didn't even get into the playoffs. Canadian athletes started to win medals in the second half of these Olympics and right when everyone was beginning to get into the Olympic spirit, the games ended. This was a big problem.

>>> Or watching Jay's baseball on TV, now that the olympics are over, hockey is still a good month away, and the Jays are dead last.

It's like being an Oilers fan in April. The NHL season hasn't ended yet but it sort of has since your team didn't even get into the playoffs. Canadian athletes started to win medals in the second half of these Olympics and right when everyone was beginning to get into the Olympic spirit, the games ended. This was a big problem.

>>> Or watching Jay's baseball on TV, now that the olympics are over, hockey is still a good month away, and the Jays are dead last.

Taken from ebaumsworld

Top Quotes From the 2008 Olympics

Here are the top nine comments made by NBC sports commentators during the Summer Olympics:

1. Weightlifting commentator: 'This is Gregoriava from Bulgaria. I saw her snatch this morning during her warm up and it was amazing.'

2. Dressage commentator: 'This is really a lovely horse and I speak from personal experience since I once mounted her mother.'

3. Paul Hamm, Gymnast: 'I owe a lot to my parents, especially my mother and father.'

4. Boxing Analyst: 'Sure there have been injuries, and even some deaths in boxing, but none of them really that serious.'

5. Softball announcer: 'If history repeats itself, I should think we can expect the same thing again.'

6. Basketball analyst: 'He dribbles a lot and the opposition doesn't like it. In fact you can see it all over their faces.'

7. At the rowing medal ceremony: 'Ah, isn't that nice, the wife of the IOC president is hugging the cox of the British crew.'

8. Soccer commentator: 'Julian Dicks is everywhere. It's like they've got eleven Dicks on the field.'

9. Tennis commentator: 'One of the reasons Andy is playing so well is that, before the final round, his wife takes out his balls and kisses them... Oh my God, what have I just said?"

:huh: no they're not...

Well personally the Olympics don't really appeal to me to much however Great Briton did well, I think our best effort ever.

But that now means that London 2012, GB will have to pull out all the stops to top what China have made a spectacular Olympics and just hope we don't embarrass the world with cheap stadiums and rubbish organization. This is what GB is well know for by the way, making a mockery of everything haha.