The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

beergirl 1 deleted

Beijing 2008 Olympic Games

meh I can't be bothered to watch.

First because well, it's in China they aren't exactly worthy of praise or respect given how they treat their citizens.

Second, well because it's the summer games, who cares really?

Here's hoping we will win some medals and / or place well. I will be reading the paper to "follow" along.

I've gotta say, I am damn impressed by the opening ceremonies. The visuals, sounds, and even the premise of a lot of the elements they brought in worked very well. Though I did miss the first 45 minutes... I'll catch it later and be more impressed. ;)

I just hope the rest of it can go without a hitch.

It'll also be interesting to see if Vancouver even tries to top that... or at least how the 2010 olympics will sit in the grand scheme of things.

Are any of the networks covering the games showing events online?

That would be cool.

According to CBC TV they said that they will have 9 feeds covering the Olympics live everyday on teh internetz.

Those opening ceremonies were amazing. The lighting of the torch with the guy flying around the stadium was breathtaking. Kudos to China for that show it was unforgettable.

I just watched the rerun of the opening ceremony. Gotta agree, the torch lighting was phenomenal. Sweet idea to run the guy around the roof edge of the stadium with the video effects playing in the background.

The performances were also well done. There must've been anywhere between 1000 to 5000 people on the floor at any one time and they were all in sync, well coordinated, and constantly in motion. They used people to form shapes with pin-point precision. No flaws whatsoever.

And the fireworks, well, one benefit of a communist country is that they have no budget for the Olympics. There will be a few more families starving in China this year because of it because they absolutely did not cheap out on this one. They over done and over spent to overwhelm everyone with their firework display. It was impressive. It seemed like all of Beijing was in fireworks at the same time and not just in the area surrounding the Olympic Stadium.

Although Vancouver 2010 is the lesser watched winter Olympics, still, they have a big act to follow. I don't know how they are going to outdo China's opening ceremonies. I don't think Vancouver has that kind of money to spend either.

Wow, the smog is indeed bad in Beijing. I'm watching cycling and the cyclists appear blurred on those aerial shots.

That, or all the cameras are cheap stuff made in China, i don't know...

Ground level camera shots look clear though so it appears the cyclists aren't bothered by the pollution during this race.

That's a breathe of relief.

DAY 2 AUG 09

Img214520161.jpg

Marilou Dozois-Prevost

Event: Women's 48kg Weightlifting

Snatch + Clean&Jerk result: 10th overall finish ....(OMG, "Snatch" and "Clean&Jerk"... how politically incorrect!!! :lol: )

Looking Good: Gold :P

Watched the opening ceremonies in Tokyo on NHK in crystal clear 1080p with no commercial interruption. Absolutely amazing, it was like being there.

... but with Japanese announcers to tell you everything that is going on. :P. When they were drumming and chanting she says "I don't know what they're saying... but they are drumming and saying something" followed by the others chiming in... "so desu ne!" (yes, that's right!) Such personality, gotta love them, especially listening to them watching the fireworks "Eeeehh!! Sugoi! Subarashii! Oooh!". They also give the most random facts ever about a lot of Countries, that you'd wonder how they would know... and why it would pertain to the Olympics at all. And, nobody knew who the final torch relay guy was, and it was not announced in the stadium. They were like "And the final one is... this guy!?" *a few minutes later* "Yes, apparently every Chinese person knows who he is. Do you?" "No, Ive never heard of him in my life!"

Img214518619.jpgImg214518547.jpg

From the Beijing 2008 Website.

And, nobody knew who the final torch relay guy was, and it was not announced in the stadium. They were like "And the final one is... this guy!?" *a few minutes later* "Yes, apparently every Chinese person knows who he is. Do you?" "No, Ive never heard of him in my life!"

Yea, CBC said he was a gold medal winning artistic gymnast (I guess they were smart to choose a former gymnast to go on the high wire).

I've gotta say, I am damn impressed by the opening ceremonies. The visuals, sounds, and even the premise of a lot of the elements they brought in worked very well. Though I did miss the first 45 minutes... I'll catch it later and be more impressed. ;)

It'll also be interesting to see if Vancouver even tries to top that... or at least how the 2010 olympics will sit in the grand scheme of things.

>>> Wasn't it a very ZEN like experience eh Zen? That's what I wish people viewed China as, or viewed the games as a chance for the Chinese people to show the world that we arn't a bunch of organ selling, animal killing, baby girl abandoning, Tibet crushing, polluters (aka HUMAN). I had this debate in the other forum, and got burned for it. So I won't get into it.

Like the purpose of the opening ceremonies is for a chance to introduce the citizens of a particular culture. (I personally liked the Athens 2004, games, with all the greek angels floating around, and the well toned bodies, posing like Greek murals, especialy the "Boxing" mural. ( should the Greeks have been condemned for their perscution of Turks and Albanians).

For the Chinese opener, was all the cute little children dressed in tiny cultural costumes. Ha ha ha, they look soooo cute. Anyways, America eat your heart out with your "4th of july pyromania". That was alot of fire works. (China invented fire work explosives or Smoke flowers (yeen fah). I like the printing blocks All the people representing the printing blocks of the Chinese. (it must have been a real Doug Risebrough, to make Chinese characters backwards back then, a freaking super genius, of supreme patience, hell it's hard enough writing them forwards).

But no spinny plates. no Chair tricks..... ha ha ha.

anyways, this what the games are about to show that brutality can be overcome with beauty. Crazy technologly like the television globe, (where the two pop singers sang). Man the screens used in that presentation, were insane. Like another planet the technologly. Like on Corusant or something... (the scene where Papatine talks to Anakin in the opera house).

I'll watch the opening ceremonies, at least those preformers wont be on performance enhancing drugs.

>>> They're high..... on life! ha ha ha.

>>> Wasn't it a very ZEN like experience eh Zen? That's what I wish people viewed China as, or viewed the games as a chance for the Chinese people to show the world that we arn't a bunch of organ selling, animal killing, baby girl abandoning, Tibet crushing, polluters (aka HUMAN). I had this debate in the other forum, and got burned for it. So I won't get into it.

Like the purpose of the opening ceremonies is for a chance to introduce the citizens of a particular culture. (I personally liked the Athens 2004, games, with all the greek angels floating around, and the well toned bodies, posing like Greek murals, especialy the "Boxing" mural. ( should the Greeks have been condemned for their perscution of Turks and Albanians).

For the Chinese opener, was all the cute little children dressed in tiny cultural costumes. Ha ha ha, they look soooo cute. Anyways, America eat your heart out with your "4th of july pyromania". That was alot of fire works. (China invented fire work explosives or Smoke flowers (yeen fah). I like the printing blocks All the people representing the printing blocks of the Chinese. (it must have been a real Doug Risebrough, to make Chinese characters backwards back then, a freaking super genius, of supreme patience, hell it's hard enough writing them forwards).

But no spinny plates. no Chair tricks..... ha ha ha.

anyways, this what the games are about to show that brutality can be overcome with beauty. Crazy technologly like the television globe, (where the two pop singers sang). Man the screens used in that presentation, were insane. Like another planet the technologly. Like on Corusant or something... (the scene where Papatine talks to Anakin in the opera house).

I'll watch the opening ceremonies, at least those preformers wont be on performance enhancing drugs.

>>> They're high..... on life! ha ha ha.

Wow, the smog is indeed bad in Beijing. I'm watching cycling and the cyclists appear blurred on those aerial shots.

That, or all the cameras are cheap stuff made in China, i don't know...

Ground level camera shots look clear though so it appears the cyclists aren't bothered by the pollution during this race.

That's a breathe of relief.

Smog? What smog? Ahh, so sorry... JingJing and ChaCha the Chinese Safety Officers reminds you that it has been re-branded as mist! Silly capitalist foreigner!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2008/aug/0...mpics2008.china[/post]

Internet_police_officer_jingjing.jpgInternet_police_officer_chacha.jpg

( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jingjing_and_Chacha )

Picture of the Day

xinsrc_10208050915578122560414.jpg

Taraje Williams-Murray (white) of U.S. competes against Hiroaki Hiraoka of Japan during the men -60kg preliminary match of judo at Beijing 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing, China, Aug. 9, 2008. Williams-Murray won the match. (Xinhua/Guo Dayue)

Taewan Park's (south Korea) 400 m swim. Holy crow. That kid wants it BADDLY. They were showing underwater pictures of him. Holy S.... he was just grabbing and grabbing..... I'm part Korea, or so dad says, so I'm happy.

P.S. I like how the medals look. the Tornio games? Donuts? washers?

Taewan Park's (south Korea) 400 m swim. Holy crow. That kid wants it BADDLY. They were showing underwater pictures of him. Holy S.... he was just grabbing and grabbing..... I'm part Korea, or so dad says, so I'm happy.

P.S. I like how the medals look. the Tornio games? Donuts? washers?

DAY 2 AUG 09

Img214520161.jpg

Marilou Dozois-Prevost

Snatch + Clean&Jerk result: 10th overall finish ....(OMG, "Snatch" and "Clean&Jerk"... how politically incorrect!!! :lol: )

Wowie now that's a what I call a set of dumbells.....

DAY 2 AUG 09

Img214520161.jpg

Marilou Dozois-Prevost

Wowie now that's a what I call a set of dumbells.....