The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

beergirl 1 deleted

Beijing 2008 Olympic Games

what the hell is CBC's problem, showing swimming? I want to see weight lifting, Judo, boxing (well I saw that actually. Man 21-1... Micky would be proud man).... I had to watch French CBC for the Weight lifting, between China and Vietnam.... anyways. Day 3, Canada=zero!

what the hell is CBC's problem, showing swimming? I want to see weight lifting, Judo, boxing (well I saw that actually. Man 21-1... Micky would be proud man).... I had to watch French CBC for the Weight lifting, between China and Vietnam.... anyways. Day 3, Canada=zero!

Why do we suck so bad at international competitions? Aside from winter sports, we're a terrible country atheletically and I wanna know why. Is it our "nice guy" attitude? Do we want others to finish ahead of us so their feelings don't get hurt? Aside from a few exceptions, all I've been hearing from our atheletes is that "they've been thankful for the olympic experience". Yes, that's awesome, taking part in the olympics is an amazing feat and they should not only be proud of that, but they should be commended as well... but where's the disappointment? They need to show that they care about winning as well, aside from just participating. If we were living in a totalatarian country that was poor and discouraged from intellectual and athelectic expansion, I would understand why we perform so incredibly poorly at the Summer Olympics. But we're not. We have the perfect atmosphere in this country for atheletic development. Is our government not appropriating enough funds? Are the coaches and trainers to blame? Or are we just an inherently crappy atheletic country?

Then there's the argument that we don't perform that well at the Summer Olympics because we're a winter country that concentrates on the Winter Olympics...that's not an excuse. Russia is a winter country that has always been a dominant force in both Summer and Winter. Granted there's a huge difference in population, that doesn't account for the gross failures of our Summer olympic program. With the population argument, China would devour the medal haul every olympics. Yet they don't. In fact, countries such as Italy, France, and Germany are always neck and neck with the traditional powerhouses that are China, the U.S and Russia. All three of those countries have a population that is closer to ours than the latter three.

Also, there's countless examples of nations that have a lesser population than Canada's who are highly competitive. Just to name a few, Australia is a good example, so is Romania and so are the Netherlands. So what's the deal?

Canada's athletic system is poorly structured and underfunded. The only thing we do right is our hockey program.

That 50 year old Fencer woman I told you about, advances to round 2 of foil! (I'm not sure how fencing is scored, as the helmets flash funny colours, red and green).

Exciting day of swim. Canadian relay 400 m although finished 6th, seemed to be swimming very well, but burnt out. Rowing teams 2 man, and 4 man, advances.

Wow, are the Gymnasts from China cute.... very cute. And why in the hell is team usa wearing RED for gymnastics? shouldn't they be wearing red white and blue, with a bunch of stars? Shouldn't Canada be wearing red.

man are those aussies nuts with the swimming. Wow!

Anyways, North Korea is on the board....

Canada's athletic system is poorly structured and underfunded. The only thing we do right is our hockey program.

>>> Canadian politicians just care about pointing their fingers at non existent social programs, like some sort of "sponsorship"Gomery inquiry, or Airbus scandal, and spending 3/4 of the Harper years on it. They rather not tackle serious issues such as national pride, or national identity, or chronic unemployment in Canada. Hell they make a big issue with tobbaco advertisements now we can't sell smokes without covering them up. (like is that law really necessary??), or waste time with the so called binge drinking law, or continue to drag MP Cadman's honorable name in the mud. They can't find time to pass a simple bill that allows more funding from our massive surpluses to give to starving athletes.

That 50 year old Fencer woman I told you about, advances to round 2 of foil! (I'm not sure how fencing is scored, as the helmets flash funny colours, red and green).

Exciting day of swim. Canadian relay 400 m although finished 6th, seemed to be swimming very well, but burnt out. Rowing teams 2 man, and 4 man, advances.

Wow, are the Gymnasts from China cute.... very cute. And why in the hell is team usa wearing RED for gymnastics? shouldn't they be wearing red white and blue, with a bunch of stars? Shouldn't Canada be wearing red.

man are those aussies nuts with the swimming. Wow!

Anyways, North Korea is on the board....

>>> Canadian politicians just care about pointing their fingers at non existent social programs, like some sort of "sponsorship"Gomery inquiry, or Airbus scandal, and spending 3/4 of the Harper years on it. They rather not tackle serious issues such as national pride, or national identity, or chronic unemployment in Canada. Hell they make a big issue with tobbaco advertisements now we can't sell smokes without covering them up. (like is that law really necessary??), or waste time with the so called binge drinking law, or continue to drag MP Cadman's honorable name in the mud. They can't find time to pass a simple bill that allows more funding from our massive surpluses to give to starving athletes.

Well, the last brush we had with national unity lead to a near fractionation of the country, and a scandal that destroyed the government.

You can watch pretty much anything on cbc's website.

It seems to me he's reading something from his hand. Probably the girls names...

"So which one of you is Paris?"

The girls have names on the back of their bikinis :lol:

Micheal Phelps is a tank when it comes to swimming. There was no competition on the 200 meter.

>>> Actually a more accurate analogy would be a war buggy. (from Desert Storm), holy catfish those things can move! Like Tanks are slow moving beasts, best suited for weight lifting, wrestling, shotput....

But yea that was insane! He just jumps in and zip he's at the end... leaving a tsunami wake of water, so much it could be mistaken for the parting of the Red sea.... or a Somalian pirate boat. be like leaves a HUGE gap inbetween him and the Green record line. Poor Park didn't have a chance!

But I would have loved to see the other sports, like archery, or something. not just swimming, and gymnastics.

Anyways,another sad day for Canada, the Jedi fencing chick is out... although she did advance to the group of 16. The Canadian Gymnastics girl is out. The only hope for a medal is team Canada for 4 man rowing. (and they resemble Phelps...).

Micheal Phelps is a tank when it comes to swimming. There was no competition on the 200 meter.

>>> Actually a more accurate analogy would be a war buggy. (from Desert Storm), holy catfish those things can move! Like Tanks are slow moving beasts, best suited for weight lifting, wrestling, shotput....

But yea that was insane! He just jumps in and zip he's at the end... leaving a tsunami wake of water, so much it could be mistaken for the parting of the Red sea.... or a Somalian pirate boat. be like leaves a HUGE gap inbetween him and the Green record line. Poor Park didn't have a chance!

But I would have loved to see the other sports, like archery, or something. not just swimming, and gymnastics.

Anyways,another sad day for Canada, the Jedi fencing chick is out... although she did advance to the group of 16. The Canadian Gymnastics girl is out. The only hope for a medal is team Canada for 4 man rowing. (and they resemble Phelps...).

No, we'll pull out a gold (or something) in some obscure sport, like Tramopline, again.

I heard BMX is sport this year. Is this correct, can anyone confirm? Anyone? Bueller?

Edit:

Here we go!

And an oldie of a movie...filmed in Calgary. Do you recognize that area at all?

Rad

I think Adam Van Koeverden will get gold in kayaking.

Same for the Men's Rowing 8s.

I think rowing is as good as gold but kayaking/canoing is hard man. Anything can happen in that event.

Bush just keeps getting into more trouble...

2008_08_09t102932_351x450_us_olympics_bush.jpg

You know what I find amusing, is thousands of atheletes are preforming on a world stage, being viewed by millions of people, trying to reach they're olympic dreams, but....

We find watching this ^ idiot much more entertaining.

It looks like we have a shot at a swimming medal tonight (tommorrow morning in China).

Results for the 4 x 200m Freestyle Relay

Top 10 2008 Results

Rank NOC Result Location Date

1 USA - United States 7:04.66 Beijing Aug 12 2008

2 ITA - Italy 7:07.84 Beijing Aug 12 2008

3 RUS - Russian Fed. 7:07.86 Beijing Aug 12 2008

4 GBR - Great Britain 7:07.89 Beijing Aug 12 2008

5 CAN - Canada 7:08.04 Beijing Aug 12 2008

6 AUS - Australia 7:08.41 Beijing Aug 12 2008

7 JPN - Japan 7:09.12 Beijing Aug 12 2008

8 RSA - South Africa 7:10.91 Beijing Aug 12 2008

9 AUT - Austria 7:11.45 Beijing Aug 12 2008

10 FRA - France 7:13.57 Beijing Aug 12 2008

Neither CBC or TSN explicity says they are covering the race but I suspect they (one) will when it happens.

CBC Story