The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

beergirl 1 deleted

Beijing 2008 Olympic Games

man, was watching the olympics yesterday and i had no idea that they had mens synchronized diving!!!! when did that happen? lol

You didn't know there was mens synchronized diving?

Don't worry, apparently, neither did Canada's mens synchronized diving team.

Geez, Togo (population 6 million) with 3 athletes, has somehow managed to win a medal IN CANOEING OF ALL STEREOTYPICALLY CANADIAN THINGS (yeah, ever heard of that Country?) and we haven't. :lol:

Ohhhh Canada....

Canoeing is just another sport that Canada can finish between 4th and 10th place.

I wonder if the 7th place medal is a paper mache medal or a clay medal. I forget.

Canoeing is just another sport that Canada can finish between 4th and 10th place.

I wonder if the 7th place medal is a paper mache medal or a clay medal. I forget.

7th is Styrofoam. Eight is clay and tenth is paper mache. All other athletes recieve a participant ribbon.

It looks like we have a pretty strong chance in the mens 200M breaststoke tommorow for a medal

God DAMN Phelps is a monster, 5 for 5 thus far. If he manages to get all eight, holy cow. The 4x200M Relay the US team just DESTROYED all the competition, past as well, because they broke the world record by almost 3.5 seconds.

I would REALLY like to quit hearing "we have a great team for the future". I heard that in Athens. What happened to that awesome future team? Forget the future. Do it now. <_<

God DAMN Phelps is a monster, 5 for 5 thus far. If he manages to get all eight, holy cow. The 4x200M Relay the US team just DESTROYED all the competition, past as well, because they broke the world record by almost 3.5 seconds.

I think he'll do it. He's the defending gold medallist in everything remaining and has set WR times in every event thus far.

He'd need to pull a major choke to not get 8 this year - something only the Canadians are capable of ;):P

You know what I find amusing, is thousands of atheletes are preforming on a world stage, being viewed by millions of people, trying to reach they're olympic dreams, but....

We find watching this ^ idiot much more entertaining.

Oh it's not president bush I'm looking at it's the volley ball girls I'm looking at.

You know what I find amusing, is thousands of atheletes are preforming on a world stage, being viewed by millions of people, trying to reach they're olympic dreams, but....

We find watching this ^ idiot much more entertaining.

Oh it's not president bush I'm looking at it's the volley ball girls I'm looking at.

Georgia destroys Russia...

53062e8e-ab7c-41c0-a3a2-4ddddf20484e.jpg

Err, i mean, in Beach Volleyball...

sp(30).jpg

http://results.beijing2008.cn/WRM/ENG/INF/...shtml#BVW400C05

They showed this one on CBC and I literally stopped watching after the first set because the Russians were embarrassing the Georgians. It wasn't even a close match. So, I'm quite shocked to find out the Georgians rallied to beat Russians at the end.

Perhaps this victory will foreshadow events to come back home...?

Phelps is just insane. Completely destroying the competition in all his races so far. I just can't see anyone beating him with the way he is swimming right now.

I would REALLY like to quit hearing "we have a great team for the future". I heard that in Athens. What happened to that awesome future team? Forget the future. Do it now. <_<

>>> This is why you must compete Tori, you run miles and miles and miles, and keep in shape, and you play tennis, so train formally, and win us a gold. Pleeease!

>>> This is why you must compete Tori, you run miles and miles and miles, and keep in shape, and you play tennis, so train formally, and win us a gold. Pleeease!

I feel really bad for our summer athletes. They tack a back seat to winter, get a fraction of the funding for winter games. I know Vancouver is coming up but its also been this way for a while now. And the worst is that no one cares about them until the Olympics. They arn't giving world class coaches or psychologists/team leads, arn't giving all the opportunity of other nations, yet we expect them to go to the games and pull a rabit out of their hat. When they don't perform to expectations, becuse IMO we don't do a proper job preparing them, we guestions them and write articles that Canada is a weak summer nation and IMO, ruin their confidence even more.

If people in Canada want more medals in the games, care about summer sports more than just ever 4 years. I actually agree with Eric Francis on this point, and share his opinion that I would be suprised if 10% of Canadians could name 10 atheletes going to the games before they began. We, as a nation, don't support them so why should we be suprised when they don't perform to expectations.

Hockey Canada struggled in the late 90s until the nation put pressure on them. What happens, they go out and create the performance of excellence and domiate the sport.

Winter sports, well getting the games caused Canadians to say hey we beter do well so the COC feels pressure so reach the podium is created.

No pressure for better results will mean the same results. Its like Einstein said "true insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results". Why Canadians and the COC expect better results from summer games is just beyond me seeing how they havn't changed anything in probabaly 20 plus years.

When they don't perform to expectations, becuse IMO we don't do a proper job preparing them, we guestions them and write articles that Canada is a weak summer nation and IMO, ruin their confidence even more...

...Why Canadians and the COC expect better results from summer games is just beyond me seeing how they havn't changed anything in probabaly 20 plus years.

Canada is performing up to my expectations this summer. Well, on pace anyways. I was thinking around 1-3 Gold medals and less than 10 total medals.

The mens rowing team looks as good as gold. I'm thinking Canada will medal about two to four times in all the rowing/kayaking events combined. Then, there are track&field events where Canada should medal about five times (probably no gold though). Anyways, I won't judge them until the games are over. I didn't have high expectations coming into Beijing.

But as for Vancouver 2010, i do have high expectations. They are funding the Winter athletes like never before (which isn't hard since they weren't really funded at all before, but still.) If Canada doesn't show a drastic improvement in the medal standings for 2010, i'd be terribly disappointed. We're only 18 months away from the opening ceremonies.

Canada is performing up to my expectations this summer. Well, on pace anyways. I was thinking around 1-3 Gold medals and less than 10 total medals.

The mens rowing team looks as good as gold. I'm thinking Canada will medal about two to four times in all the rowing/kayaking events combined. Then, there are track&field events where Canada should medal about five times (probably no gold though). Anyways, I won't judge them until the games are over. I didn't have high expectations coming into Beijing.

But as for Vancouver 2010, i do have high expectations. They are funding the Winter athletes like never before (which isn't hard since they weren't really funded at all before, but still.) If Canada doesn't show a drastic improvement in the medal standings for 2010, i'd be terribly disappointed. We're only 18 months away from the opening ceremonies.

Not to get it too far off-topic here, but the upcoming world cup seasons in the winter sports should be a good indication on where we stand. At least in the Alpine events we seemed to do quite well last year, and have been improving.

To keep it on topic, kinda, the Netherlands is up five medals to zero over Canada (see sig). Hey, at least I've had something to cheer about. /quasi-trashtalk

Not to get it too far off-topic here, but the upcoming world cup seasons in the winter sports should be a good indication on where we stand. At least in the Alpine events we seemed to do quite well last year, and have been improving.

When are the world cups?

To keep it on topic, kinda, the Netherlands is up five medals to zero over Canada (see sig). Hey, at least I've had something to cheer about. /quasi-trashtalk

Michael Phelps alone has infinite times more medals than all of Canada combined in these games. And yes, Michael Phelps can divide by zero.

I agree with with you, I just don't think the nation feels that way and even more that think that those expecations are still not enough. I expected about the same as you, but I get the feeling the medai and most of the nation expects more which is the unfair part IMO. I'm also not saying their done. I know their best medal hopes are still to come. I just hate reading these articles about "dissapointing" results and people questioning the athletes.

I completly agree with all of your post. Winter games is a different story and different expectations. But I still feel that the countries expectations for summer games is too high and unfair to the athletes.

When are the world cups?

Alpine world Cups usually start in november and go till about April. A couple of races each month. Its more of a circuit than just a single event.

When are the world cups?

As cross pointed out, Alpine starts in November, and is more like a circuit. Like F-1 racing. Bobsled, X-country, etc., all work in the same way, and I would suspect they would start in and around this time as well.

Figure skating has it's own world championship skate-off (or whatever it is called), a one time event, but there are others, IIRC, as well.

That's off the top of my head.

http://www.cbc.ca/olympics/story/2008/08/13/olympics-medals-canada.html' target="_blank">COC to Canadians: Chill[/post]

Ironically, the worse thing that can happen is for Canada to suddenly start winning and finish with over 10 total medals before the games are over. That would ultimately ensure the Canadian government and the COC will do nothing to improve their developmental program.

Canada needs an absolute embarrassment at these games so funding and such would improve.