The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

beergirl 1 deleted

Beijing 2008 Olympic Games

Well I was hoping the 12 from Athens would have been that wake-up call, but I see what you are saying. Maybe it is better if Canada come out the game looking like the came in this.

fail_boat.jpg

Well I was hoping the 12 from Athens would have been that wake-up call, but I see what you are saying. Maybe it is better if Canada come out the game looking like the came in this.

fail_boat.jpg

>>> Oh that's ok. Micheal Phelps will come and save us who fell into the water off the fail boat, he can swim us to saftey over and over and over again, getting faster and faster each time.

fail_boat.jpg

>>> Oh that's ok. Micheal Phelps will come and save us who fell into the water off the fail boat, he can swim us to saftey over and over and over again, getting faster and faster each time.

Georgia destroys Russia...

53062e8e-ab7c-41c0-a3a2-4ddddf20484e.jpg

Err, i mean, in Beach Volleyball...

sp(30).jpg

http://results.beijing2008.cn/WRM/ENG/INF/BV/C73/BVW400C05.shtml#BVW400C05' target="_blank">http://results.beijing2008.cn/WRM/ENG/INF/...shtml#BVW400C05[/post]

They showed this one on CBC and I literally stopped watching after the first set because the Russians were embarrassing the Georgians. It wasn't even a close match. So, I'm quite shocked to find out the Georgians rallied to beat Russians at the end.

Perhaps this victory will foreshadow events to come back home...?

yeah i was watching that game and it turned out to be a really good game. that shorter georgian girl was unbelievable how quick she was. she was all over the place making digs and kills too. saka was definitely nice to look at :)

micheal phelps is unreal!! have watched almost every race he was in and its not even fair for any one else. the mens 400m with his teammates, i mean right from the start how he lead the rest of the guys when he went first, the other guys couldnt even catch him if they had a speed boat!! just smashing records and collecting the gold on the way, like a grand theft auto of swimming!!!! unstoppable

Ironically, the worse thing that can happen is for Canada to suddenly start winning and finish with over 10 total medals before the games are over. That would ultimately ensure the Canadian government and the COC will do nothing to improve their developmental program.

Canada needs an absolute embarrassment at these games so funding and such would improve.

I've been thinking the same thing. If you keep going along with dissapointing, yet not embarrasing results nothing will change. I'm actually kinda hoping Canada wins single digit medals because its about the only way I see the government, Canadian, and the COC to finally change what they are doing and wake up.

Nagano caused us to totally redo hockey operations in Canada, and i'm hoping Beijing came have a similar effect on summer sports.

I am so annoyed at the CBC announcers. I can't remember his name at the moment, but as the diving competition came to an end he says "At the risk of being ruining the anticipation of the marks being announced, I'll let you know that Canada did NOT get into the medals."

At the risk???? There was no risk of ruining the anticipation....he DID ruin the anticipation.

:lol: It's similar to somebody going to a movie before you and then saying "At the risk of ruining it, I'll just let you know THE MAIN CHARACTER DIES!"

<_<

I am so annoyed at the CBC announcers. I can't remember his name at the moment, but as the diving competition came to an end he says "At the risk of being ruining the anticipation of the marks being announced, I'll let you know that Canada did NOT get into the medals."

At the risk???? There was no risk of ruining the anticipation....he DID ruin the anticipation.

Well, I didn't have any anticipation of the marks being announced. After watching that dive I knew they had choked once again. <_<

I think the announcer was Steve Armitage (?)

Does your brother know my sister Melinda? My sis knows his sis too! :D

These commentators are horrible though. Like.. Yang Vei? SERIOUSLY?! I'm sure 99% of people would be able to pronounce his name properly.

This Adam Wong person. His sister is a friend of my brother...

Does your brother know my sister Melinda? My sis knows his sis too! :D

Wow that's just confusing... :lol:

Can I change my vote in the poll?

On the subject of being embarrassed, it hasn't helped improve the Olympic program before (1976, Athens) so I don't see it helping now.

Unless copper medals count.

Participant_VM296.jpg

Apparently his chest is double-jointed.... I wonder if that's handy for anything other than swimming?

Probably not - the only thing that comes to mind is that he could probably hug you if you were standing behind him. He can, however, hold his breath for an extended timeframe. That might come in handy in other endeavours.

It's nice to see that Mike Brown JUST ABOUT finished with a medal, missing a bronze medal by 0.09 seconds, finishing fourth. Missed it by that much. And the men's gymnastics team, with two representatives in the individuals final finished oooooh so close, with 15th and 17th place finishes. Wooo. :rolleyes:

Now without the sarcasm, at least the mens & womens rowing teams should have a legit shot at a medal on the weekend. Historically, Canada's been pretty strong at the rowing events.

Sorry to change the topic from the Canada bashing, but can anyone else believe that Federer bowed out again? I wonder if he's just having a slump or his career really is on the decline (as some have suggested).

On the plus side, CBC accentuated their story on this with a great picture.

linky

Well Switzerland already has 4 more medals than we do, so they didn't need another. :P

As for Federer, he seems to be struggling, yes, but he may come back, who knows.

He can, however, hold his breath for an extended timeframe. That might come in handy in other endeavours.

Barney Gumble! I can't believe you just said that! I've never heard you crack a joke quite in that context :P

Did anyone see this?

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/news?slug...s&type=lgns

Angry Swede throws down medal, quits

11 hours, 4 minutes ago

r3891005234.jpg

BEIJING, Aug 14 (Reuters) - Swedish wrestler Ara Abrahamian threw down his greco-roman bronze medal in protest on Thursday after his bid for Olympic gold was ended by a decision denounced by the Swedish coach as

Totally different though. Its similar to when Canada lost the Gold Medal in Pairs Figure Skating to the Russians. It was complete BS.

Did you watch that match then? Would you say that Swede got screwed by the judges?

Sorry for quoting the entire article but I find it absolutely embarrassing for Canada to see this Swede wrestler win a bronze medal and then toss it away because he really wanted to win a gold instead. I mean, Canada would've celebrated that bronze like it was pure platinum with diamond plating!! Agreed?

Totally different though. Its similar to when Canada lost the Gold Medal in Pairs Figure Skating to the Russians. It was complete BS.

Kyle Shewfelt got screwed last year too in the vault contest. Sticks his vault and then the Romanian guy goes next and not only does he not stick it, he crosses the line off the matt. However, given a score better than Shewfelt and takes the medal even though when you took what his vault was worth (max value) and minus the necessary deductions for the landing, it was impossible for him to beat Shewfelt.

And the kicker...... the guy running the judging was Romanian. Canadian team lodged a protest and he refused to look at it.

As much as I like the Olympics, they are still incredibly corrupt.