The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

beergirl 1 deleted

Beijing 2008 Olympic Games

So were supposed to get a medal in rowing today, and then some more tomorrow. Anyone know what time these events are on at?

When normal people are sleeping.

I think I saw on CBC that it happens at like 5:00am or so Eastern Time.

:lol: Was just talking to a German friend of mine, who quite seriously asked, "Is Canada taking part in the Olympics?"

Sigh. Well, at least nobody is noticing...

It has been frustrating to see the zero-medal count staring at me every morning in the paper. It is also frustrating how close we've come to a medal and been beaten out by millimeters and 100ths of seconds. I think it is actually starting to demoralize our remaining competitors. I am wondering if we will even medal at all...even with the small handful of so-called inside chances we have left.

And though I applaud the efforts of our athletes and by no means think I could possibly do any better, I do think it is going to be very embarrassing whatever the final damage come Games' end. You could chalk some of it up to bad luck, but in the end our athletes are simply being outperformed by bigger, faster, stronger, and in Ethiopia's case, hungrier athletes.

I can live with the usual 5-10 medals we always manage to accrue in the Summer Games (with most of them being silver and bronze and most of our sprinting medals being won by Jamaicans who merely train in Canada.)

But not to medal at all or leave with a sparse 2 or 3, is just plain embarrassing. Sorry. It just is.

No "lack of funding" excuses for our performance thus far. Ethiopia, Tajikistan, Armenia, and Togo have more medals than us. I'm pretty sure however bad our government sponsorship is, its not as bad as those countries. So what gives?

I gotta say, however, that I have watched a great deal of the taped coverage on CBC when I get home from work. And Canada's podium troubles frustrate me less when I watch some of the spectacular performances by athletes who do medal. I've seen some of those Chinese gymnasts do things I had no idea the human body was capable of. I thought only basketball and volleyball players had 40 inch verticals. And not only can these girls leap but they do far more impressive things while suspended in mid air instead of just dunking or spiking a ball. And the look of happiness and sheer satisfaction on their faces when they score well kinda makes me well up with joy for them and their accomplishments.

The Olympics are still worth watching I think. It doesn't just have to be about Canada.

Hmm, interesting. Phelps won his 7th gold medal... but... it actually LOOKS like the other guy definitely touched the wall before he did.

They've filed a formal protest, but for some archaic reason, the IOC does not use video replay to determine the winner, so they really can't logically reverse it.

At best they can hope it is called a tie, which would be fair, IMO.

And no Barn, I think the whole panel at the end of the pool is sensitive, not just the black (darker) spot.

That's why it's important to make sure you actually touch the wall first. 1/100 of a second doesn't seem like a lot of difference (even in slo-mo) but I think the swimmers actually have to touch a certain spot on the wall too - which the 2nd place guy missed, maybe?

And no Barn, I think the whole panel at the end of the pool is sensitive, not just the black (darker) spot.

Hmm, what if the same people who make the iPhone touchscreen made the touch panel? :o

"I PRESSED N MOTHER@!!!!@" <_< Or how you have to keep mashing pause button...

Hmm, what if the same people who make the iPhone touchscreen made the touch panel? :o

"I PRESSED N MOTHER@!!!!@" <_< Or how you have to keep mashing pause button...

They have better iPhone touchscreen technology at the Olympics. :P

At LAST! A medal hope -- I hope she gets the gold!

I was haphazardly watching it, haven't read an article for the facts, but I just think that it's funny that our first medal will likely be in the 48 kg category of women's wrestling (I assume lightweight, 'cause 100 lb is TINY). Something about that just cracks me up, though I'm still glad for it.

MEN'S ROWING PAIRS GETS SILVER! YEAAAH!!!

I'm glad that I'm not the only one up watching these live.

:ph34r:

As good as silver:

mens-pair-semis_392.jpg

Edit: Looking good for our wrestler girl too. Won the first "period" in the best of three.

Edit two:

WOO-HOO! GOLD MEDAL

Didn't understand a second of it, but it's nice to see the win anyways.

Yay, now we're only 2 behind North Korea!

Gold Carol Huynh Wrestling Women's −48 kg

Silver David Calder and Scott Frandsen Rowing Men's coxless pair :lol:

Bronze Tonya Verbeek Wrestling Women's −55 kg